First ride on R1200R LC

Well after a month and 2,000 miles with the new bike the wife is over the moon. She only has one gripe - the sidestand. It's too long and the bike is worryingly close to vertical. It looks like a slight breeze would blow it over if parked on ground that isn't pool table flat. There seems to be a few people complaining about it. We're trying to find someone in/around Yorkshire who can take 1/2" or so out of it before our big trip coming up at the end of August.

Well after a month and 2,000 miles with the new bike the wife is over the moon. She only has one gripe - the sidestand. It's too long and the bike is worryingly close to vertical. It looks like a slight breeze would blow it over if parked on ground that isn't pool table flat. There seems to be a few people complaining about it. We're trying to find someone in/around Yorkshire who can take 1/2" or so out of it before our big trip coming up at the end of August.

The stand on the GSA is the same. I just have to make sure I find somewhere with a slight lean, to park it safely. It can be a bit of a pain at times, but it keeps people entertained!:p

Yeah, that's what she's been doing but sometimes it simply isn't possible so the centre was the only option.The snag is she struggles with the centre stand, even more so when all the luggage is on it.

Trying to find someone now to take half inch out of it.

Excellent news. A mate works for a fabricator so they're shortening the side stand for a very small amount of money. That should sort the problem. Hope to have it done by the weekend

Just out of interest, do you know how they will do it to keep the strength in it ? Some sort of scarf joint welded up and not just a butt weld ?

There is a lot at stake here don't forget.

The foot is quite thick, so they're cutting it down and putting a flat thin foot on, so no actual cut and shut required on the main leg of the stand. Strength shouldn't therefore be an issue. The guy has done a few mates bikes, including his own so I'd used to doing it.

His opening comments were about how to do it and retain strength so he's obviously thought about it.

Back
Top Bottom