Throttle body balancing

MattW

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
I've just ordered a 'harmonizer' throttle body balancing tool from Grok on ADV and want to balance the TB's in my twincam which I think could be smoother.

Is there any way to park the stepper motors on a 1200 without a GS911 or am I restricted to balancing above 4000rpm? I'd rather not have to shell out another £300 on a GS911 for a bike which is going to be dealer serviced in the short term (approved used warrantied bike).

Ta
Matt

Before I had my GS911 I used to switch the engine off wait for the steppers to 'park' and then disconnect them both. Mind you that is on a hex head not a TC. Not noticed any difference using this method and GS911.

Before I had my GS911 I used to switch the engine off wait for the steppers to 'park' and then disconnect them both. Mind you that is on a hex head not a TC. Not noticed any difference using this method and GS911.

The good way to check throttle balance is to ride the bike with the instrument connected.

+1 for both the above. You can't adjust idle balance anyway on the 1200. I have done it with and without GS911 and TBH it doesn't make any discernible difference, The GS911 enables you to calibrate the steppers but the important thing is to get the balance right above idle. The Harmoniser is a great piece of kit BTW. I thought they were no longer available so I have been looking after mine very carefully!

+1 for both the above. You can't adjust idle balance anyway on the 1200. I have done it with and without GS911 and TBH it doesn't make any discernible difference, The GS911 enables you to calibrate the steppers but the important thing is to get the balance right above idle. The Harmoniser is a great piece of kit BTW. I thought they were no longer available so I have been looking after mine very carefully!

Thanks.
He's just started making them again - I've been after one for at least four years!

The Twinmax works fine. Warm the engine up, connect it and follow the instructions. Once I'd got enough penetrating oil into the cable adjuster it was easy to balance the throttles at about 3000 rpm and the improvement was well worth the few minutes it took.

Back
Top Bottom