S1000XR

Wapping

Reaction score
Good write up and review in this month's Bike magazine (cue, don't buy it, it's sh1t) along with one on the Yanaha Tracer, which is selling in bucket loads, being a very good bike for not a fortune.

It seems that BMW have hit it straight out of the middle of the bat with the XR. Not surprisingly as the engine and suspension technology is top notch already. For anyone who really doesn't need anything more than a 20 litre tank (few people really do) and isn't frightened by a chain (some are) the BMW - or the cheaper Yamaha - would both be worth a test ride, I would have thought.

Mate of mine has ridden one, he's had some lovely bikes in his garage over the years, including a gorgeous HP4 :bow, and an MV Agusta F4 that sounded incredible.

He really liked the XR, and is currently torn between that or a new Multistrada. I think I know which one I'd have. If I get the new job I'm after, I could well see me treating myself to a test ride and who knows what else!!

:cool:

All credit to and compliments of Bike magazine ;)
17a282deca6e6761253295212efdf31d.jpg
9d59108fdb967bc7652e481fa79429f2.jpg
e488ab4751affdde94e220955bcae4a7.jpg
2ab3633cbd9e66b1505661ec8d024fe2.jpg

d9a09d264f0947f978dfe8f996552ef6.jpg
ad50cbae0222ac2e3c9a4ede6d413af0.jpg

These should be easier on the eyes ☺

I reckon I'll look cool as fcuk on one of them..........

For that alone - I'll have one! :D

Al

I reckon I'll look cool as fcuk on one of them..........

For that alone - I'll have one! :D

Al

Good for you. Fat chance of any bike ever making me look cool :D

With only 20 litres of juice rabge that rules it out on one count and I have a couple of bikes with chains, I'm not scared of them but really don't want the bother and mess of touring with a chain drive bike. So it's out on two serious counts for me :)

I am hoping to get a test ride on an XR soon, having already ridden its competitor the new Ducati Multistrada i think it will have to be exceptional to best the Duc, on paper I feel a big twin will suit my preferences and riding style better than an i4 engine, that said I sat on XR last week and it's ergo's and layout felt very familiar to me, very "GS" like, plus the XR can be spec'd with BM's excellent shift assist, both of which favour the XR in my eyes, should be interesting to compare. A chain final drive might be a chore on a euro jaunt, a theoretical tank range of 200 miles shouldn't be too much of a problem, I can recall only a handful of times using or needing the GSA's 300 mile tank range especially when riding in mixed company, I think the Duc or XR could do most of what I ask of a bike.

I am hoping to get a test ride on an XR soon, having already ridden its competitor the new Ducati Multistrada i think it will have to be exceptional to best the Duc, on paper I feel a big twin will suit my preferences and riding style better than an i4 engine, that said I sat on XR last week and it's ergo's and layout felt very familiar to me, very "GS" like, plus the XR can be spec'd with BM's excellent shift assist, both of which favour the XR in my eyes, should be interesting to compare. A chain final drive might be a chore on a euro jaunt, a theoretical tank range of 200 miles shouldn't be too much of a problem, I can recall only a handful of times using or needing the GSA's 300 mile tank range especially when riding in mixed company, I think the Duc or XR could do most of what I ask of a bike.

Steve, if you're thinking of getting rid of the GSA and getting an XR, I think you'll regret it. I've given it a bit of thought, and think that the GSA really does take some beating as an all round bike. Even speaking to two dealer principals, who know me, both agreed that the XR is no GSA replacement, and advised me to stick with my GSA.:eek:

Steve, if you're thinking of getting rid of the GSA and getting an XR, I think you'll regret it. I've given it a bit of thought, and think that the GSA really does take some beating as an all round bike. Even speaking to two dealer principals, who know me, both agreed that the XR is no GSA replacement, and advised me to stick with my GSA.:eek:

Has it ever occured to you, that different people have different priorities in the choice of a bike? So two "Dealer principals" have said "not the bike for you, sir" and just because that carries weight with you - you assume that it appliest to 2WH? :blast

I don't think anyone is looking for an R1200GSA "replacement" - just something a bit different, which will be more enjoyable for the types of roads they regularly travel?

Al :rolleyes:

I'm sure the XR will be a totally different proposition to the GS / GSA.

It'll have none of the romanticism of the GS, with its dreams of crossing continents and the full-on rugged 11 day beard growth of the hardy self-reliant adventurer, that the mark brings.

I think these largish capacity upright touring bikes with great road manners will slowly but surely replace the current trend for Adventure bikes. Sadly it seems that all the manufacturers have adopted a 'bigger is better' attitude towards the design of said 'Adventure bikes' and have seemingly turned them into a caricature of a concept lost long ago.

I bet it will be a great bike, but those massive exposed radiators bother me to the point of it only being any good for the occasional Summer Sunday ride out rather than an everyday machine like the GS.

I think these largish capacity upright touring bikes with great road manners will slowly but surely replace the current trend for Adventure bikes. Sadly it seems that all the manufacturers have adopted a 'bigger is better' attitude towards the design of said 'Adventure bikes' and have seemingly turned them into a caricature of a concept lost long ago.

I don't agree.

We all used to go touring on big sports bikes, right back to the late 70's and early to mid-80's on CB900's, big Kawasaki bikes and the like. Even the 750 VFR was, if you like, a forerunner of today's XR. Much more basic yes but in essence the same idea. A fast bike, well built, nicely styled and very capable for a number of different purposes.

BMW managed to pull a stunt on the 'Adventure' market when they produced the first 1200 ridding the GS (and the brand) of its somewhat safe, reliable, image. That they produced quite a nice bike, reasoanably light, not too powerful and above flatteringly easy to ride was a bonus for their bank balance. Of course it was a con but, like all good cons, people loved it and still do. The latest incarnation - the WC - is a big flat twin that's pretending to be an across the frame four; the engine even spins up fast, just having a much lower redline. I rode one and didn't like it at all, much preferring the earlier 1200's.

Will the XR be a great bike, probably yes. Will some people think it'll be impossible to tour (or Adventure) on it as it doesn't have two pistons sticking out on either side and no bloody great fuel tank or Spam tins? Most definitely. If nothing else, it puts the lie to the oft heard "Modern bike manufacturers' model ranges are dull".

+1 !!!

The first proper KTM adventure bike ,the 950 was their best (esp in SE guise) and the 1100 or possibly the 1150GSA was the pinnacle for BMW.
The latest models might have quickshifters,cornering ABS and enough gizmos so that any muppet can twist the throttle wide open on a 160 bhp bike and be safe but where will it all end ?

KTM have lost sight of their initial ethos and BMW have lost sight of the basics such as build quality and reliability.But it's saving me a fortune !!!

I bet it will be a great bike, but those massive exposed radiators bother me to the point of it only being any good for the occasional Summer Sunday ride out rather than an everyday machine like the GS.

I'm not sure if you've ever looked at the radiator on a Goldwing, a 1600 GT or even a modern, reasonably powerful, car? Like the sale of aftermarket headlight guards, the world is not always full of flying stones. I'd like a pound for every (essential) undented oil radiator guard there is, sitting on GS owners' bikes (probably in garages) right now.

Paid my deposit this afternoon, after test riding one earlier in the week. :D

Roll on July!! :beerjug:

BMW managed to pull a stunt on the 'Adventure' market when they produced the first 1200 ridding the GS of its reliable image.

Paraphrased, but true.

I think the XR is going to appeal more to sports bike riders who are getting older and to whom the ergonomics will appeal, rather than people from the 'Adventure' market wanting to go faster.

Having said that though, I suspect that there are a a lot of fashionistas who merely followed the herd into the GS range from whatever crotch rocket they had before, when crotch rockets were the 'in' thing....... and I DO hope they fekk off to the XR ;)

There is a curious snobbishness about the British motorcyclist, that you don't find elsewhere.

Go to any Alpine mountain top cafe or valley hotel and you'll find a big cross-section of motorbikes, ridden by a broad spectrum of bods. The trouble with the UK 'Adventurist' is that they seem to think that unless it develops under 90 hp, is held together with at least five cable ties, has a dead sheep's hide on the seat, twincore and a light switch for the ignition, an estate agent's sign folded into a splash guard and has 90 litre panniers built by some homicidal maniac called Vern... Or is called a Serow and is an inch thick in rusted grime, having two Korean War ammunition boxes for God knows what held onto it with bent Dexion and a Whitworth bolt, along with mismatched Chinese tyres, it can't possibly be a motorcycle.

Anyway, where else but the 1200 section woukd anyone get the real laughs?

There is a curious snobbishness about the British motorcyclist, that you don't find elsewhere.

Go to any Alpine mountain top cafe or valley hotel and you'll find a big cross-section of motorbikes, ridden by a broad spectrum of bods. The trouble with the UK 'Adventurist' is that they seem to think that unless it develops under 90 hp, is held together with at least five cable ties, has a dead sheep's hide on the seat, twincore and a light switch for the ignition, an estate agent's sign folded into a splash guard and has 90 litre panniers built by some homicidal maniac called Vern... Or is called a Serow and is an inch thick in rusted grime, having two Korean War ammunition boxes for God knows what held onto it with bent Dexion and a Whitworth bolt, it can't possibly be a motorcycle.

I know the archetypes, and they do indeed live here on UKGSer

Don't confuse the stereotypes that come from that starting point for those who follow a more basic principle though :beerjug:

Back
Top Bottom