Windows 10

Well it has downloaded and restarted and so far so good.

Good luck with it. Double clicked on mine and all my pictures came up! Opening up BBC opens up Google earth and I was asked to update the driver for my Kodak printer. Ive never had a Kodak camera or printer ever so where did that come from.
I don't know that much about the inner workings of computing but I knew something wasn't right. In comes Microsoft (via a third party) with remote assistance? (they took over the computer for a short while and had a looksee). After 20 mins they said they have took a snapshot of something and will get back to me and in the meanwhile to go back to Windows 7 home premium. Pity as I would have liked to have tried it. Ive heard some good reports.

Downloaded 10 and all OK this end :thumb2

I've stayed on Google Chrome. When I upgraded to 8.1 I lost my outlook express...some on here have stated they run it on 10...how do I activate outlook express in windows 10 ( please ). ?

I have the full ultimate edition of windows 7 and have not seem the windows 10 upgrade icon?
Not that I'm interested but I wonder why? Is it just from retail editions?

Downloaded 10 and all OK this end :thumb2

I've stayed on Google Chrome. When I upgraded to 8.1 I lost my outlook express...some on here have stated they run it on 10...how do I activate outlook express in windows 10 ( please ). ?

Grab the Free Microsoft Mail & Calendar App from the Microsoft Store Kenny, or do you really want Outlook Express

Have a read here Mr Anderson

https://support.microsoft.com/en-gb/kb/3081048

Maybe you have an Enterprise or MAK Key version of 7 Ultimate?

Cheers, seemed as though I need IE11 installed to get the pop up install thing.

Question if I ever chose to upgrade can I do a full format and clean install or am I stuck with installing windows 7 first then upgrading on top of 7?

As my licence allows me up change components and do fresh installs and do whatever I want and don't want to be restricted.

I've upgraded two machines so far win7 and win 8.1. Very surprised at how smooth both were. The win8.1 machine is dual booted with Linux mint and it didn't even overwrite the grub boot loader which I was expecting. Everything on both machines is working as it should as far as I can tell (I haven't tested everything!). Suppose it's weird that I'm kinda disappointed it wasn't th usual MS F up which normally results in an upgrade disaster and a clean reinstall!

Mines still working perfectly and I've found that by uninstalling Kaspersky first, reboot and reinstall the installer from the web site then Kaspersky also works fine but does disappear on the windows 10 download and won't accept the old install from a memory stick or file.

I've upgraded two machines so far win7 and win 8.1. Very surprised at how smooth both were. The win8.1 machine is dual booted with Linux mint and it didn't even overwrite the grub boot loader which I was expecting. Everything on both machines is working as it should as far as I can tell (I haven't tested everything!). Suppose it's weird that I'm kinda disappointed it wasn't th usual MS F up which normally results in an upgrade disaster and a clean reinstall!

That's interesting to know. Our desktop is Ubuntu with win7 for a few things. I wondered how win10 would handle the grub menu as previous 'upgrades' from xp and vista always ended in the grub menu needing to be rebuilt.

free upgrade expire date?

Hi

I have the free windows 10 upgrade offer but have not installed it yet.
Is there an expiry date to this offer or can I leave for a few months or maybe a year or so even until SP1 or SP2 have come out?
:beerjug:

Andy

You have a year to upgrade after that you will have to buy it apparently.

Have installed it on a few machine with no issues. If your on Win 8.1 upgrade now. If your on 7 there is maybe no rush.

I had it downloaded a few days ago. Bit the bullet and installed it this evening. My main monitor (I use two) wasnt showing up initially leaving me using the inferior of the two, so that was a little disconcerting. Upgraded graphics card drivers and now hunky dory. I quite like the look of it so far. I disabled all the default shite that MS wanted to add on install and will go through tomorrow and shore up the privacy settings, but so far so good.

It went straight in on my desktop (8.1)....no problems.

For me, it's a definite improvement over 8.1......:aidan

I was using Win7 before. It was starting to get sluggish, struggling to open or process things and beginning to piss me off.

Really like the way that it is running at the moment. Nothing not to like so far.

I have gone back to Windows 7 after a couple of issues, but every time I now start my computer it starts downloading 10 again.

Any idea how I can stop this please?

I allowed the change to 10 from 7 premium. It seemed to go ok. but now the laptop is exhibiting quiet a lot of problems. mute sync. stopped working, energy management stopped, explorer.exe not found, settings button not working, cannot launch Edge,those button things on the start menu (except a couple) do nothing, blue tooth not working. Cannot go back to 7 as i can't get the settings page up. Otherwise all is well :D

If i do go back to 7 can i still get 10 again? Where do you go to download 10 to a USB stick or likewise? Please do not tell me to go google it as i am googled out on this (for now) :D

After a few weeks, all seems to be working fine on a Samsung ATIV 9 Lite that was previously running Win 8.1 - all settings, passwords etc were remembered.

I have ditched Classic Shell for the Windows 10 default - it's better than 8.1 but I prefer the XP/Win7 GUI layout. I have also ditched the free version of Adware which provided anti-virus & malware protection to see what the integrated Windows protection is like. In 8.1 the Live Essentials thing got very bloaty. They have gone back to Windows Defender and are copying Panda by having a cloud based service.

Overall performance doesn't seem any quicker but I have hit the "delete Win 8.1" button as I am happy Win 10 works.

After a few weeks, all seems to be working fine on a Samsung ATIV 9 Lite that was previously running Win 8.1 - all settings, passwords etc were remembered.

I have ditched Classic Shell for the Windows 10 default - it's better than 8.1 but I prefer the XP/Win7 GUI layout. I have also ditched the free version of Adware which provided anti-virus & malware protection to see what the integrated Windows protection is like. In 8.1 the Live Essentials thing got very bloaty. They have gone back to Windows Defender and are copying Panda by having a cloud based service.

Overall performance doesn't seem any quicker but I have hit the "delete Win 8.1" button as I am happy Win 10 works.

If you want to do a clean, legal re-install of Windows 7 all you need to know is here.

http://www.pcsteps.com/45-download-windows-7-iso-legally-free/

I allowed the change to 10 from 7 premium. It seemed to go ok. but now the laptop is exhibiting quiet a lot of problems. mute sync. stopped working, energy management stopped, explorer.exe not found, settings button not working, cannot launch Edge,those button things on the start menu (except a couple) do nothing, blue tooth not working. Cannot go back to 7 as i can't get the settings page up. Otherwise all is well :D

If i do go back to 7 can i still get 10 again? Where do you go to download 10 to a USB stick or likewise? Please do not tell me to go google it as i am googled out on this (for now) :D

I have now got it back to 7 and all seems fine, for now. May try to install 10 again some other time.

Back
Top Bottom