The Big Stelvio Test Ride

Hi

Well after weeks of considerations I have taken the plunge and bought a new Stelvio pick it up on Saturday. Really looking forward to this now that I have finally made my mind up.
The Stelvio has a lot to live up to because my bike of choice has always been the 1100gs and I not been able to move on on from these with the later BMW models, anyway I will be keeping my 1100gs forever they really are a much underrated bike and I have enjoyed around 200,000 miles on 3 bikes over the last 8 years.
The Stelvio appeals to me on the same level and has added performance as the icing on the cake, I have considered all of the current adventure bikes, I do not need 150BH and I prefer to do my own maintenance which I will do when the warranty runs out.
One thing I know that I will have to improve is the standard screen which I found to be lacking on my test ride , if any Stelvio owners have suggestions please let me know.

Regards

Mike

Hi Mike,
Congratulations on your choice and hope you come to love the Stelvio as much as I have.

With regard to the screen,it was the only thing that I felt was a let down from my 2013 gs wc.

I don't know if yours is the NTX or not ? The NTX has a larger screen and some winglets which do work well over the standard screen, but still not as good as I would have liked.

My fix was an MRA X-creen. Then using some S/S home made spacers I moved the screen brackets 15/20mm forward on their mounts, causing the air to flow under the screen and over the instrument nacelle. This works very well and I'm happy with the result. I'm 5'10" but long bodied and short legged.

Enjoy.

Steve

For the screen I found that a Wunderlich flip works perfectly.
I am 6ft (and wear a Tour-X) but found that the screen was the single biggest issue on my NTX. I soon settled on the Wunderlich flip and the moment it was fitted it made a 100% improvement, I haven't even tried to adjust it again as it was so right first time.
I now ride with the screen in its lowest position and the flip is well below my eyeline yet allows visor up riding almost all of the time.

Can some Stelvio aficionado please tell me what's the difference between the standard model and the NTX ?

I see the NTX has panniers and extra lights ? But it's about £ 1500 more and I see there are pre-reg deals on the standard model for under £10k, saving about £1500 but doesn't seem to be many deals on the NTX. Ta.

PS

Still haven't actually ridden one !!

Hand Guards, bash plate, panniers, larger screen. same engine though and in my opinion from speaking to the dealr last week...not really worth it.

Can some Stelvio aficionado please tell me what's the difference between the standard model and the NTX ?

I see the NTX has panniers and extra lights ? But it's about £ 1500 more and I see there are pre-reg deals on the standard model for under £10k, saving about £1500 but doesn't seem to be many deals on the NTX. Ta.

PS

Still haven't actually ridden one !!

Extras on the NTX are...Panniers...Engine guard....Spoke wheels...Engine crash bars...Sump guard...Spotlights...Hand guards...Larger screen and winglets.

Difference in price when I purchased was £1230.00 which I didn't think was bad...Whilst the panniers are not the best they're not bad are waterproof and carry a fair bit of stuff.

Only thing I would say is, when you do go for a test make it as long as possible it does take a while to really gell with the Stelvio.

Steve

I was looking at one of these in a local dealers yesterday. 2011 model with full luggage for £6k. Have to say the build quality and finish looked absolutely superb - a step above my TC.

It's not the prettiest of bikes from the front, but looks good from the side.

Starting to consider on myself now!

Thanks for replies.

I must get a test ride on one soon.Quite like the white standard model which can be had for under £ 10k,then fit heated grips,bigger screen,bars, and luggage.I've already got a Givi Trekker top box so would get the Monokey plate for the Stelvio and then get Trekker side cases.Job done for under £11k !!

Standard Model Stelvio

Hi

It was the standard model that I have bought I also already had the Givi trekker top box so have bought a Givi rack to fit it, got the hand guards in with the deal have ordered the engine guards, fitted a MRA X screen,fender extender and have a hugger to fit nearly good to go now waiting for the first service.

Mike

Back
Top Bottom