Who makes the BMW bike alarms?

notadrop

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Shopping for bike insurance and using comparison sites. They don't list an alarm specifically for BMW, but they do list a whole raft of alarms. Anybody know what BMW fit to the GS/GSA? Mines a 2007 GSA.
Thanks.

I don't know who makes them but I've had one on every BMW I have had apart from a few air heads. No trouble at all. If you are considering another make I wouldn't break any circuits. To wire it in. Leave fuel and ignition alone. JJH

Would it be a BMW alarm?

I have the same issue, on the same bike.
Carole Nash and others don't list BMW or "vendor/factory installed" or whatever similar in the list for alarm immobilizers.
I think I've read somewhere they are not Thatcham approved, that's why.

I ended up quoting both bikes with alarm/immobilizer as "unknown".

I don't know who makes them but I've had one on every BMW I have had apart from a few air heads. No trouble at all. If you are considering another make I wouldn't break any circuits. To wire it in. Leave fuel and ignition alone. JJH

Thanks JJH

No worries......... you wont find me poking any sharp sticks at or near my BMW fitted alarm!!

Personally I never list any security when getting insurance, and when I have it hasn't reduced the premium..

Or, I never declare it when purchasing the insurance but have messed about with it when getting quotes - same with voluntary excess...

But your question was:

Who makes the BMW bike alarms?

Like it or not, the answer is BMW.

???No Greg I actually asked 'Anybody know what BMW fit to the GS/GSA' meaning is it a datatool/spyball etc ......as I doubt they make their own.

The BMW alarm isn't listed because it isn't recognised. It doesn't conform to any thacham standards so as far as insurance is concerned it is useless.
Sometimes you get the chance to select manufacturer supplied, sometimes not.

???No Greg I actually asked 'Anybody know what BMW fit to the GS/GSA' meaning is it a datatool/spyball etc ......as I doubt they make their own.

Obviously, I misread.

Attachments

• notadrop.png
    notadrop.png
    8.4 KB · Views: 1,448
Still a tosser for being pedantic ;)

Yeah, maybe, but I still think that answer is BMW.

Datatag proudly proclaim that their transponders are fitted to Beemer bikes - surely an alarm company would be shouting the same if their units were fitted (or, at least, it would be 'known' like it's known that Garmin produce the GPS units)?

Yeah, maybe, but I still think that answer is BMW.

The alarm (So I'm told) is made by Meta, for BMW Mottorrad.

As said above though, in its BMW guise it is NOT Thatcham certified, so is unlikely to attract ANY discounts apart from perhaps by BMW insurance who almost certainly contribute to the discount from whichever underwriters they are using at the moment

apart from perhaps by BMW insurance who almost certainly contribute to the discount from whichever underwriters they are using at the moment

Equity Red Star.
I'm pretty sure it didn't affect the price one bit.

Stated over the phone as factory fitted.

Good luck with your quote.

The alarm (So I'm told) is made by Meta, for BMW Mottorrad.

As said above though, in its BMW guise it is NOT Thatcham certified, so is unlikely to attract ANY discounts apart from perhaps by BMW insurance who almost certainly contribute to the discount from whichever underwriters they are using at the moment

My mates Aprilia RSV Mille R had a Meta alarm which was physically identical to the BMW one, even the fob was the same. It seems that the corporate identity of BMW kit is essential but they won't pay to get type approval for their (rebadged) alarms by Thatcham. Apparently such approval doesn't come cheap.

Back
Top Bottom