F800 GS Popping on deceleration?????

dibbs

Reaction score
When slowing down I can hear a 'popping' noise from the exhaust, it is the standard one and its not really a backfire as such. Is this a bad sign of something looming?

Any ideas please?:nenau

It's normal - just un-burnt fuel in the exhaust gases.

Yup Normal, once your exhaust is nice n hot, the unused fuel pops mostly on throttle shutdown.

Did it do this when the bike was new?

No? Then check for leaks in the exhaust system.

Either way, it's nothing much to worry about.

Phew!!!!! thanks guys, mind rested... and Greg I didn't have it from new so cannot answer that one, but good to know its nothing serious :D

The usual cause is a mix of unburned fuel and air drawn in through minor leaks in the exhaust system being ignited by hot stuff in the silence box.

Tends to happen more if you open the throttle hard and then shut down quickly.

This is my favorite part of the bike. I giver there an appreciative pat especially when she gives me a good one under a bridge or in a tunnel. Happens best in either cold air (under 10 degrees) or hot air (30+ degrees) days. To meet emission standards the bike is starved of air in the mid range. A power commander or re-map should fix it and give more mid-range power, but I would not want to lose the pop.

Since I bought a Leo Vince Carbon can off here the popping on overun on my F650 has virtually stopped. I put this down to a freer flowing exhaust as dont know if its me but the bike seems to pick up cleaner.

Great sound though , as I have the same sound on my 1961 Bsa which barks on the overun, and that is defo air leaks!

Certainly nothing to worry about as "They all do that sir"
Lastly listen to an XT660 they run even leaner and pop all the time

Thanks again chaps. Just had the bike serviced and asked the question to Russ he said indeed they all do that! and its caused by the flaps in the carb so when you decelerate they close and then just flick slightly open for a second allowing unburnt fuel into the exhaust thus producing the pop! he also pointed out that he rear brake on the f800 is also shite which I have found on mine and cant seem to do anything to make it better, has anyone used braded hoses to improve things?

Thought all F800's already have braided hoses?

Certainly got them on my F650GS twin.

Mine pops like that, not a problem. And I find the brakes fine, just the forks are crap and dive so much. Going to go to Hyperpro progressive springs all round when time and funds allow.

Thanks again chaps. Just had the bike serviced and asked the question to Russ he said indeed they all do that! and its caused by the flaps in the carb so when you decelerate they close and then just flick slightly open for a second allowing unburnt fuel into the exhaust thus producing the pop! he also pointed out that he rear brake on the f800 is also shite which I have found on mine and cant seem to do anything to make it better, has anyone used braded hoses to improve things?

Firstly, they're fuel injected, not carbed and I believe all BMWs have braided lines as standard.

My first 800 popped the most and you could see soot around where the end can fitted which way have made it worse (or in my opinion better :thumb )

The rear caliper has sliding pins inside which mate to the carrier, I had to completely rebuild mine with new pins and grommets as the caliper wouldn't slide so you were having to force the one pad to meet the disc. Are the pads wearing evenly? You can get rebuild kits and don't need the BM one as the rear caliper is used on KTM's and a few other bikes.

Firstly, they're fuel injected, not carbed and I believe all BMWs have braided lines as standard.

Good point Mr Foolery!!! it is indeed F.I so the flaps he was talking about must be somewhere else in the system!!!!! (thinking about it he didn't mention carbs at all that was just me trying to make out I knew it all, I feel suitably silly now lol..:blast) and I have now checked the hoses and they are indeed braided so will just have to put up with them...

Back
Top Bottom