MY 15 GS v S1000XR

are wee tanks available as aftermarket accessories?

i hate having to get off the bike and find a hedge every 5 minutes.

It's the usual 'latest is best' scenario in the showroom with the XR on a waiting list and the GS available from stock at hefty discount........and the GS diehards saying all comers are flawed, lol.

Come on guys, the GS is what it is........ A do it all, easy going, great handling BIG tractor. Nothing will get by it in the mountain twisties as it blocks the road ahead. The WC engine is the star.......what ! Non of you hankered after the Air/oil cooled one and always said the latest is the greatest....diehards one and all.

I keep seeing the huuge radiator as a sort of filter for cleaning crap off the roads...."she'll no tak' it, cap'n"...

I keep seeing the huuge radiator as a sort of filter for cleaning crap off the roads...."she'll no tak' it, cap'n"...

It will definitely need serious radiator guards if used on anything dirtier than a race track - but looks like a lot of fun, I want one in the garage alongside the GS.

It has a 20 litre tank or the Tesco pump I filled up at was telling Porkies!

It's also a 40mpg bike so a range of 150 miles is about it. I managed 33MPG on my first day with it :eek: Having said that, I didn't get much more out of the GSLC but that was a brand new one with less than 150 miles on the clock.

Comparing the XR to the GS is a waste of time, it's a totally different machine and will appeal to the sportbike riders who can't bend like they used to. In this respect it is thoroughly fantastic and twice the bike the GSLC is. It will waste a GS in speed and handling. The engine is a screamer, but low down it will still toast a GS imho, it just doesn't feel as grunty. The speed piles on very quickly though and if you do let it rev it blasts forward like a missile. It's no mile munching carpet ride, it's an S1000RR with a sit up riding position. It's firmly suspended, lightning quick at direction changes and a laugh a minute. Truly one of the greatest chassis available today. The electronics are subtle and do their job stealthily, the gearbox clunks in to first (just to let you know it's a BM) but after that it is smooth and precise. The handlebars are just right imho. They force a slightly forward stance which is what is needed to get the feel from the forks (which dive and take a bit of getting used to after 10 years of telelever wonderfulness).

Yes it's chain drive (and it'll probably last 5000 miles) but it transfers the power more efficiently than a shaft and is a lot lighter (probably why all sportsbikes are chain driven).

I like it, I like it ALOT (and I'm a cynical, miserable old goat when it comes to new technology and super fast motorcycles).

Got around to riding the XR today, about 40 Klm of fast and slow stuff.

I ordered this in Nov last year and expected it would replace my 15 GSW. My unit was ready for delivery.

I was overwhelmed with the vibes, all the way through the chassis, my hands, my bum and everywhere. I don't think I can live with it. It would be ok for around town in short bursts but would annoy me on my long weekend runs. Also, for what is a road adventure bike why does it have to be taller than a GS? I was only able to tippy toe it whereas I get both feet down on the GS.

The bike was very comfortable both suspension and the seat. It turns quickly as expected and the engine is nice although I think the demo I rode was power restricted. I felt that the low down torque was lacking and felt less than my GS, it felt strained to me. The bars are as wide as the GS, seems too wide to me.

The gearbox was very smooth, no clunks and GSAP executes better than on the GS. I felt that the brakes were better than the GS. The ESA seems to do a better job of keeping the bike level than the GS, similar to the Ducati Skyhook feeling of floating on a magic carpet, I was impressed.

I did not like the foot pegs digging into my legs between the ankle and the knee when I put a foot down.

Another thing that irks me is that Australia at least that the pricing is identical to a GS, I think it should be a little cheaper.

So, for me, I will stick with my 15 GS, I really love it and it suits me for daily and weekend use.

. Also, for what is a road adventure bike why does it have to be taller than a GS? I was only able to tippy toe it whereas I get both feet down on the GS.

Another thing that irks me is that Australia at least that the pricing is identical to a GS, I think it should be a little cheaper.

So, for me, I will stick with my 15 GS, I really love it and it suits me for daily and weekend use.

Spot on.

:D

Back
Top Bottom