First impressions of the S1000XR

Unbelievably good. Hoon through the gears, or leave it in 5th or 6th and it will pull from 30mph reasonably quickly. Its a thirsty bugger though :green gri

I think this XR has the low seat which is a little uncomfortable, but the riding position is superb.

Think you are going in to a bend too quickly, just push it over further, I've pretty much destroyed the chicken strips :D. Brain recalibration is required though because I've had GS's for 10 years. I've ridden all the GS's to date and non of them feel quick, the LC is brisk, but I've always disregarded comments about how fast it is, it simply isn't fast. The XR......now that is a quick motorcycle, I'd go so far as to say it's a very quick motorcycle, but very usable.

If they did the XR chassis with an F800 motor or a down sleaved 4 pot It would tick all the boxes for me. It's not that the power is too much, just a temptation too far for me and I don't need the encouragement :D

Kawasaki do a nice flat bar 800, just stick some BMW badges on one, and there you have it. Most of the parts may also come from the same supplier BMW use .:D

When are you doing the F800 review? Seems youre just a tart with these 'expensive' , 'overpowered' bikes. No intention of buying just oh i was this and that bollox.

When are you doing the F800 review? Seems youre just a tart with these 'expensive' , 'overpowered' bikes. No intention of buying just oh i was this and that bollox.

I've had two official test rides in my entire life. Most test rides have been riding mates bikes. This one was 'offered' to me, not sought out by me. So I say bollocks to you sir.

As for buying one, your probably right that I wouldn't buy a new one, but I would seek out a good used one in a couple of years. I'm not a kid in a sweety shop, bikes don't really excite me so much that I have to have the latest and greatest. They are a bit like a TV, you settle on the latest and greatest and before you know it, yours is old hat. I'd rather wait and see if something comes out that I really really like (because I really really like my 1150GSA).

The S1000XR is very close for me, I truly love it. It has a few issues (like the comfort) but they are all things that could be improved. The engine.......whilst unbelievably good fun and something very very special, is just too much and I (and I doubt many others) can resist from tweaking the throttle a bit too often. I don't have the self control to own something this fast and I still maintain that the most fun bikes I've ever had are the ones where I've had to thrash a little to get the best out of them. Doing that on the XR soon sees you in to license losing territory, not good for me who has a lot of driving to do to make his pennies!

So I take your insult, scoop it up in yesterdays newspaper and sling it in the bin.

The engine.......whilst unbelievably good fun and something very very special, is just too much and I (and I doubt many others) can resist from tweaking the throttle a bit too often. I don't have the self control to own something this fast and I still maintain that the most fun bikes I've ever had are the ones where I've had to thrash a little to get the best out of them. Doing that on the XR soon sees you in to license losing territory

That is a very good point. I have a self control problem when on the 1000, so only ride it in small doses. If I had an XR, I'd ride it more, and would ride it quicker than I normally would the GSA, so it would only be a matter of time before I got caught by the boys in blue.

One day I'll grow out of that, but I can't see it happening any time soon!:D

I'm not sure the finish is very good on the engine and it will be hard to stop the engine from oxidizing, the finish on the cases looks good, but the head (which is visible) looks to have a very average finish. There is a mix of stainless fixings and average finish steel fixings, but anything that is steel can be easily replaced. The plastic on the back of the tank looks to be of poor quality, but I'm fairly sure it's a sacrificial part, the painted stuff looks great, but the black plastic is shonky (obviously they expect most to exchange it for carbon parts).

The switchgear is on a par with all of the new bm's which imho is about feel rather than substance, Japanese switchgear is still leagues ahead.

It is well screwed together though and I'd expect a well looked after one would manage serious mileage without too much drama.

There is alot of plastic, but this is a road bike and as such that doesn't really matter, a positive bonus if ya bin it.

The thing that strikes me it the lack of vulnerability to the bodywork. The rads are huge and if it was mine I'd want to protect them, but the rest of the bike looks like it would slide down the road well. The whole package is well thought out and looks easy to keep reasonably clean.

Is it £15k worth, imho no, but that won't stop people from buying them, plenty of people don't look closely at what they are spending their money on.

Having said all that, it is a brilliant bike, but a 10K 800cc version that did 60-70mpg would be better for me.

It's doing 39mpg (I got 34mpg out of the first tank :eek:), that's why I'd love to see 85-100bhp, but the same chassis. With less power you really could exploit the chassis which is an absolute peach. The engine is too, but it's a James version of the peach and I doubt you'd ever get through half of it before it goes all goes rotten :D

Are you vying for Clarkson's job Phil? :thumb

I remember that old guy slipping past you on a Green Lane downhill near Monyash on that TTR600Re. Mind you, I overtook you that day too. Not for the first time, either...

You were livid! :augie It was enough to put a man off his bacon baps..

In order to remove all doubt, Phil is 5'11", as I am 6' and he's just a tad shorter.

That is a very good point. I have a self control problem when on the 1000, so only ride it in small doses. If I had an XR, I'd ride it more, and would ride it quicker than I normally would the GSA, so it would only be a matter of time before I got caught by the boys in blue.

One day I'll grow out of that, but I can't see it happening any time soon!:D

Until you have experienced the engine it is hard to understand :D

When I said the LC wasn't a fast bike, it wasn't that it is slow, but it's just not a quick bike. The XR is, in spades.

My last full day with the GS/XR (see what I did there?) was a trip to the Seaside with Mrs Flip and a nice lunch at the Pen-y-Bryn (lovely gastro pub if you are out that way).
2 up the XR is actually pretty good, although Mrs Flip is 5'10" she had plenty of leg room, but it's probably good that she is skinny because she was tucked up close to me as the seat isn't as long as the GS. Handling was still superb, but unlike the GS the character does change a little, seemed slower to turn in where as the GS rides as normal.

Suspension did it's job well and the power is a little more subdued, in a still fast as fook, but not quite as mad.

We went out in jeans so that I would curb my desire to throttle on and I managed to behave mostly :D

So the XR goes home tomorrow, my heart is sending tears to my eyes, but my brain is currently writing thank you letters to the man upstairs.

What a machine, what an experience. A day with the XR or a day with a bunch of nubiles, naked, bathed in oil and offering themselves to me as sacrificial sperm receptacles????
Warp factor 9 Mr Sulu and make it snappy!!!:D

As a final note I would like to thank Micky and JB for organising Dent and organising this most fantastic opportunity, thanks guys, full breaky on me whenever you want :thumb2

Until you have experienced the engine it is hard to understand :D

When I said the LC wasn't a fast bike, it wasn't that it is slow, but it's just not a quick bike.

Agreed. The engine is incredible. And the noise when it spools up sounds like a supercharger. Very addictive.

In comparison, the LC isn't a fast bike, I agree.:thumb It's fast enough, and that's important if you want to keep your licence!:p

We went out in jeans so that I would curb my desire to throttle on and I managed to behave mostly :D

So the XR goes home tomorrow, my heart is sending tears to my eyes, but my brain is currently writing thank you letters to the man upstairs.

What a machine, what an experience. A day with the XR or a day with a bunch of nubiles, naked, bathed in oil and offering themselves to me as sacrificial sperm receptacles????
Warp factor 9 Mr Sulu and make it snappy!!!:D

Wearing jeans doesn't stop me from being daft, but it should.

Nice report, and agreed re the naked women. There's no woman on the planet that can give you as much fun, for so long!:D

Agreed. The engine is incredible. And the noise when it spools up sounds like a supercharger. Very addictive.

In comparison, the LC isn't a fast bike, I agree.:thumb It's fast enough, and that's important if you want to keep your licence!:p

Wearing jeans doesn't stop me from being daft, but it should.

Nice report, and agreed re the naked women. There's no woman on the planet that can give you as much fun, for so long!:D

What's your take on the electrics?

I found them to be totally unobtrusive on the XR, have'nt noticed them at all. The different modes all work (although I can't tell much difference between road and dynamic), and the throttle in dynamic mode was easy to use and not the on off switch that I found with the GSLC (although I believe they have remapped the throttle a couple of times since I rode one so it may be better now). The anti wheelie control and traction control have been invisible, I don't even know whether they have kicked in (i'd guess they have had more than a few opportunities :green gri). I think the electronics suit the 4 pot motor and it has been enlightening as I have always been anti intrusion, but the XR has changed my perception in that it does it faultlessly imho.

Sooo it's a great bike that would be better with half the power and a £4K price reduction :D

Sounds like an NC750 would be a better fit :D

BMW even copied Hondas styling

2014-Honda-NC750X-Red.jpg

2015-BMW-S1000XR-26.jpg

What's your take on the electrics?

I found them to be totally unobtrusive on the XR, have'nt noticed them at all. The different modes all work (although I can't tell much difference between road and dynamic), and the throttle in dynamic mode was easy to use and not the on off switch that I found with the GSLC (although I believe they have remapped the throttle a couple of times since I rode one so it may be better now). The anti wheelie control and traction control have been invisible, I don't even know whether they have kicked in (i'd guess they have had more than a few opportunities :green gri). I think the electronics suit the 4 pot motor and it has been enlightening as I have always been anti intrusion, but the XR has changed my perception in that it does it faultlessly imho.

Mostly unobtrusive, but I have had first hand experience of the anti wheelie control!:D In dynamic mode, it'll let the front wheel come up about a foot, before the electronics gently bring it down, but in dynamic pro, it goes much higher. It surprised me once, as I was expecting the electronics to kick in, but they didn't, and the front wheel was pointing to the sky. My mate following said it looked good!:p

I can't notice a huge difference between modes, and mainly leave it in DP, but some folk prefer the mapping of road mode. The ESA doesn't tend to make much difference between settings, but this may be because I'm not particularly heavy. On the GSA, soft mode softens everything as it should, but on the R, it doesn't make as much of a difference between normal mode. I guess it'll never feel soft over the bumps, as it's not that kind of bike.

How was the XR on nadgery pot holed gravel strewn roads? Did you get a chance to try it?

Mostly unobtrusive, but I have had first hand experience of the anti wheelie control!:D In dynamic mode, it'll let the front wheel come up about a foot, before the electronics gently bring it down, but in dynamic pro, it goes much higher. It surprised me once, as I was expecting the electronics to kick in, but they didn't, and the front wheel was pointing to the sky. My mate following said it looked good!:p

I can't notice a huge difference between modes, and mainly leave it in DP, but some folk prefer the mapping of road mode. The ESA doesn't tend to make much difference between settings, but this may be because I'm not particularly heavy. On the GSA, soft mode softens everything as it should, but on the R, it doesn't make as much of a difference between normal mode. I guess it'll never feel soft over the bumps, as it's not that kind of bike.

How was the XR on nadgery pot holed gravel strewn roads? Did you get a chance to try it?

Well I'm a fat f*ck and the suspension is no different between Dynamic and road mode :D

On the back roads of Wales it was pretty good. Firmer than my Nitron shod GSA, but still controllable. It's firm and not floaty like a GS, but it steers like a scalpel in the hands of a surgeon as opposed to a steak knife. The GS is no trowel by any means, but I just found the XR more.......errrm, dynamic :D Rain mode on the tight stuff makes life a bit less stressful as hitting a bump in dynamic mode can cause it to lurch (but the GSLC did this). Even a very light hold on the bars made no difference.

It's simply better than any bike I've ever ridden, an awe inspiring, confidence stroking monster. I managed 40mpg with the missus on the back today, 160 miles to the tank is a pain, but with the 800 motor in you could realistically be looking at 220 which would be far more useful.

My only criticism (other than not needing the immensity of that engine) is the fuelling at 2k rpm. Tickling through town traffic at low revs, the motor seems to hunt and surge quite badly. Knock it down a couple of gears and it's fine, but then it sounds like it's revving too high (that is a general thing though, it's been a good while since I've ridden a 4 pot and they always sound like they are revving really high).

Well the GS/XR is back at Rainbow :tears:tears:tears

Final last ride was emotional, but hopping back on the old wheezer was a bit of a shock, but strangely no less fun. The old girl still handles well, and given the size differential to the XR, she still turns in well and does her thing with all the class that the new bike has, just in a different way. My improvements with the power commander 3 are wasted now though, because the old girl requires a good kick up the arse to get her moving, but as I have said earlier, its actually more fun when your wringing the neck out of a bike to get the forward motion.

So bye bye XR, you were a dirty weekend away with a lithe sexy filly who's appetite for wrong doing was sensational if not a little frightening at times. A dangerous liaison but one too irresistible to ignore. You were fun to play with, but my sturdy mama is calling and whilst she may not be quite as much fun, she still knows which bits to tickle and how I like them tickled.

Maybe I'll meet up with the XR's younger sister at a later date and she won't be so wild, a little more of a long term prospect that you could take to meet your mother.

I'll keep the GSA for now, but the XR is well and truly in the w*nk bank of biking memories :spank:spank:spank

This is better than MCN brilliant arse on seat review, thanks for posting.

Steve

Well the GS/XR is back at Rainbow :tears:tears:tears

Final last ride was emotional, but hopping back on the old wheezer was a bit of a shock, but strangely no less fun. The old girl still handles well, and given the size differential to the XR, she still turns in well and does her thing with all the class that the new bike has, just in a different way. My improvements with the power commander 3 are wasted now though, because the old girl requires a good kick up the arse to get her moving, but as I have said earlier, its actually more fun when your wringing the neck out of a bike to get the forward motion.

So bye bye XR, you were a dirty weekend away with a lithe sexy filly who's appetite for wrong doing was sensational if not a little frightening at times. A dangerous liaison but one too irresistible to ignore. You were fun to play with, but my sturdy mama is calling and whilst she may not be quite as much fun, she still knows which bits to tickle and how I like them tickled.

Maybe I'll meet up with the XR's younger sister at a later date and she won't be so wild, a little more of a long term prospect that you could take to meet your mother.

I'll keep the GSA for now, but the XR is well and truly in the w*nk bank of biking memories :spank:spank:spank

I had a blat on a XR last week. Had the same grunt in 6th as my Explorer has in 4th and the comfort was about the same. The biggest fly in the ointment on the XR was the buzz in the bars. After a couple of days touring I can imagine my hands getting numb, if they could sort that problem out I`d seriously consider one :D

There was a bike in Wales today on loaner demo one ( he is waiting for his) The first time I have seen one in the flesh and I like it a lot !

Got chatting and he claimed to have had a couple of Multi strides and a KTM1190 r and he said its the best bike he has ever ridden !

He did add that the screen could do with being a bit bigger

Looking forward to a test ride. I own a LC GS and a S1000R - yep - the 1000 donk is a monster...

:)

Just back from the IoM on a GS LC (from Superbike Rental) - wish I had the XR, as the sportbikes were leaving me for dead on the Mountain...

:rolleyes:

So, you thought that the GS LC is not fast as in FAST but you thought that for you, the XR is too much and should have a wheezy torqueless 800. Hmmm

Also looking at that radiator setup, together with the short front mudguard you just know what's going to happen. You are either going to have some big fuckoff ugly guard on there or you are going to have an almighty mess or holed radiator.

By your own admission, it's too much for the road.I haven't ridden one but on your review, I would say that for an everyday bike that genuinely does it all the GS LC takes some beating.

Now if you want a really fast bike, try the new Yamaha R1.

Back
Top Bottom