First impressions of the S1000XR

Looking forward to a test ride. I own a LC GS and a S1000R - yep - the 1000 donk is a monster...

:)

Just back from the IoM on a GS LC (from Superbike Rental) - wish I had the XR, as the sportbikes were leaving me for dead on the Mountain...

:rolleyes:

So what. Do you think you have something to prove to other bikers? It's not a dick waving competition, if you feel the need to be competitive then you could always try racing. Ride for yourself not to impress others and you will find you enjoy it a lot more. :rob;)

Looking forward to a test ride. I own a LC GS and a S1000R - yep - the 1000 donk is a monster...

:)

Just back from the IoM on a GS LC (from Superbike Rental) - wish I had the XR, as the sportbikes were leaving me for dead on the Mountain...

:rolleyes:

This quote reminded me of someone riding over the mountain on an 1150gs a few years ago. In the same hands, it makes you wonder what an Gs LC would be like against "sportsbikes".
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z3Cu8BZJ_hw

Trust me, an LC wouldn't have a prayer compared to the XR. The LC handles well, but the XR is a scalpel compared to the bread knife GS. The engine is way more and the chassis is in another dimension. A well ridden XR would keep tabs on a well ridden sportsbike, the GS would be toast with equal riders on board.

Trust me, an LC wouldn't have a prayer compared to the XR. The LC handles well, but the XR is a scalpel compared to the bread knife GS. The engine is way more and the chassis is in another dimension. A well ridden XR would keep tabs on a well ridden sportsbike, the GS would be toast with equal riders on board.

I'd be surprised if that wasn't the case!

I'd be surprised if that wasn't the case!

I have GoPro proof :D

I overtook a GSA coming down the horseshoe pass, and in front of it was an S1000RR which was pulling away from the GSA. Being a superior rider I had them both on the XR :cool:

(The real story was of two fannies, riding badly on machines that were obviously beyond their skill level and I chose to get past and let them have their own accidents without getting me involved :D)

So what. Do you think you have something to prove to other bikers? It's not a dick waving competition, if you feel the need to be competitive then you could always try racing. Ride for yourself not to impress others and you will find you enjoy it a lot more. :rob;)
Oh dear...... The point I was making is that I have experience with the 1000 donk...... No need to get bent out of shape.

I have nothing to prove.

Would it help to tell you that I own an RT as well....?

Oh dear...... The point I was making is that I have experience with the 1000 donk...... No need to get bent out of shape.

I have nothing to prove.

Would it help to tell you that I own an RT as well....?

Not really, dad used to chase down sportbikes on an 1100rt :D

i've read enough on here to know that flipfly's dad could perform miracles.

i've read enough on here to know that flipfly's dad could perform miracles.

He was my dad, what d'ya expect. I hope to be 50% of the rider he was one day.

I remember him chasing a 916sps on the RT and the guy was hanging off on the corners, but dad just kept on his case. At the end of the road the Duc rider was more than a little miffed :D

I've had a few blades on an 1150GS on knobblies. Thankfully most riders are actually pretty shit, myself included, I'm just a bit less shit than they are :D

Nice review
I pick mine up ail end of July, and can't wait. I had the GSA LC but for me I found it to heavy and tall, I love the speed of a sports bike but can't handle the discomfort these days, so for me I think the XR will be perfect, roll on July.

Terry

Nice review
I pick mine up ail end of July, and can't wait. I had the GSA LC but for me I found it to heavy and tall, I love the speed of a sports bike but can't handle the discomfort these days, so for me I think the XR will be perfect, roll on July.

Terry

Terry, you are a lucky boy, the bike is a beast. It does vibe badly at around 5k, but if you man up and tolerate it you won't give a dump about it because it's a small niggle. It'll be reliable, uber fast and slick to ride, enjoy :thumby:

. It does vibe badly at around 5k, but if you man up and tolerate it you won't give a dump about it because it's a small niggle. enjoy :thumby:

I recon some grip puppies (if that's what there called) will sort of eliminate the issue and hopefully after a couple k on the clock its vibe free.

Terry, you are a lucky boy, the bike is a beast. It does vibe badly at around 5k, but if you man up and tolerate it you won't give a dump about it because it's a small niggle. It'll be reliable, uber fast and slick to ride, enjoy :thumby:

Thanks Flipfly not sure it will be spending much time around 5k apparently the fun starts from about 6k onwards.
I expect it will smooth out a bit after a couple of thousand miles on it.

Terry

Thanks Flipfly not sure it will be spending much time around 5k apparently the fun starts from about 6k onwards.
I expect it will smooth out a bit after a couple of thousand miles on it.

Terry

From around 2k onwards, it's a fantastic bit of engineering :thumb

Back
Top Bottom