First impressions of the S1000XR

Flipfly

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
So I've picked up my extended demo bike for the weekend, top spec electric all singing all dancing S1000XR.
My choice for the XR was simple, let's try something fast with a sit up riding position.
I've ridden the LC GS and was thoroughly underwhelmed. It's not fast, yes it's fast compared to an 1150, but in trying to be something it shouldn't be, it missed the mark by a massive mark for me.
So, the S1000XR is a more focused bike, it's a true sportsbike in a traily style package. It makes no pretence to be an off roader, it's a comfy S1000RR for the real world.
On arrival at Rainbow a bright red XR is sitting there glinting in the sunshine, and boy does it look good. It's purposeful and more importantly, it's symmetrical :D

I do the paperwork, get the keys, have a quick run through of the electrics and we're off. First impression, oooh, it's small. Physically the tank is wide, but the clocks are close and the front wheel feels like it's underneath ya bum :eek:
On to the dual carriage way and coming out of the roundabout I give it a fistful (let's see how good these electrics are). WOW!!!! And once more WOW!!!
See that roundabout up there in the distance, nope, because I'm braking for it :D

It's not the fastest bike I've ridden, but the grip, turn in, stability and sheer stomp of it, it's pretty close, but more importantly it feels natural.

It took a while to get the gearshift pro malarkey right. It works if you are on the power, or off the power for downshifts, but a steady or opening throttle works best. Actually scrap that, wide open it works best, but you'd be a brave man to hold this open for more than a few seconds at a time, and your license will definitely take a battering!

Heading through some familiar back roads and the XR is faultless. I've heard issues with vibrations etc and yes it can be vibes, but tbh I didn't think it was a problem. Flick flack left, right and I'm riding it better than my old GS, getting better lines and finding it effortless to carry more speed, but the temptation to apply mucho throttle on the way out of corners is too much, it's a feckin hoot :D

Nearly at Buxton and I overtake a lorry and hold it wide open through the first four gears, blah, blap, blaaaap, wonderful. I slow down to 40 and then 30 and pop on the cruise control in 6th gear (it is that tractable), round the corner and get pulled over by two very nice policemen :blast
One says "we won't keep you long" but I remove my helmet, spark up a ciggy and have a chat. "That sounds well sir, what does it do flat out in fourth?". Mmmm " not sure officer, about 50" :D

Anyway, we had a pleasant chat and they both had a good look at the bike and gave positive comments about the look etc. "what's it like" asks plod. "It should be illegal" I reply.

Home now after a good 3 hours with the XR and I must say, I really like it. It's mental, but it is also very very easy to ride. It's everything that is wrong with modern bikes IMHO, any idiot can be quick on it, but it's a lethal weapon which requires a more skilled and measured rider to appreciate just how capable these machines really are. It's twice the bike that 90% of riders need and would be better with an 800 power plant in, but feck me it's fun!

The seat is shit, and the switchgear looks like it will fall apart in less than a year. The engine finish on the head will be furrier than a mink coat if it sees water, but I can forgive it all these things because, it is what it is. It's no pretender, it is simply a fantastic bike and I would love one, but my license won't stand it, that is for sure.

Round 2 tomorrow and then some 2 up testing on Monday if the weather holds out.

Great review :) quickshifter should work down shifting without coming off the throttle try it its a hoot.

I just hope tomorrow you don't lose ya license :(

I'm curious. Why did they pull you over?

Wide open in 4th would certainly be 50-ish :)

They were doing speed checks, but also taking the opportunity to have a safety chat to motorcyclists. They pulled a guy on a GSA and an LC after they pulled me over. It was all very pleasant.

Unbelievably good. Hoon through the gears, or leave it in 5th or 6th and it will pull from 30mph reasonably quickly. Its a thirsty bugger though :green gri

I think this XR has the low seat which is a little uncomfortable, but the riding position is superb.

Think you are going in to a bend too quickly, just push it over further, I've pretty much destroyed the chicken strips :D. Brain recalibration is required though because I've had GS's for 10 years. I've ridden all the GS's to date and non of them feel quick, the LC is brisk, but I've always disregarded comments about how fast it is, it simply isn't fast. The XR......now that is a quick motorcycle, I'd go so far as to say it's a very quick motorcycle, but very usable.

If they did the XR chassis with an F800 motor or a down sleaved 4 pot It would tick all the boxes for me. It's not that the power is too much, just a temptation too far for me and I don't need the encouragement :D

I've not ridden the XR yet, but the torque of the R is fantastic. I was down to 15mph in 4th today (feeling lazy!), and it just pulled. Agreed re the power; the LC GS/ GSA is quick enough, but this thing is on a whole new level.

They'll certainly sell the XR as fast as they can make them.

You make some valid points Flip, tbh I think that's where I struggled in a short time of just 1hr demo because I needed to dial myself in and recal my brain, you need the bike over an extended period to do such because my first demo I rode it like I stole it and hated the thing, my extended demo was both Jekyll n Hyde and rode it over a course of twisty rds where it seemed to carve thro the bends like a hot knife thro butter and made me giggle, then open the taps and everything becomes blurrrred, it can be boring and everyday user friendly but needs restraint ! I liked the ability to be able to ride it in a modest way feeling comfortable , same way you can drive a super car slow and then just open the taps and think fooking hell this is serious quick.

The other issues i noted can be resolved and are rider preference .

I thought it looked better put together then the gs wc, what's your thoughts !

I'm not sure the finish is very good on the engine and it will be hard to stop the engine from oxidizing, the finish on the cases looks good, but the head (which is visible) looks to have a very average finish. There is a mix of stainless fixings and average finish steel fixings, but anything that is steel can be easily replaced. The plastic on the back of the tank looks to be of poor quality, but I'm fairly sure it's a sacrificial part, the painted stuff looks great, but the black plastic is shonky (obviously they expect most to exchange it for carbon parts).

The switchgear is on a par with all of the new bm's which imho is about feel rather than substance, Japanese switchgear is still leagues ahead.

It is well screwed together though and I'd expect a well looked after one would manage serious mileage without too much drama.

There is alot of plastic, but this is a road bike and as such that doesn't really matter, a positive bonus if ya bin it.

The thing that strikes me it the lack of vulnerability to the bodywork. The rads are huge and if it was mine I'd want to protect them, but the rest of the bike looks like it would slide down the road well. The whole package is well thought out and looks easy to keep reasonably clean.

Is it £15k worth, imho no, but that won't stop people from buying them, plenty of people don't look closely at what they are spending their money on.

Having said all that, it is a brilliant bike, but a 10K 800cc version that did 60-70mpg would be better for me.

It's doing 39mpg (I got 34mpg out of the first tank :eek:), that's why I'd love to see 85-100bhp, but the same chassis. With less power you really could exploit the chassis which is an absolute peach. The engine is too, but it's a James version of the peach and I doubt you'd ever get through half of it before it goes all goes rotten :D

My bro has hust ordered one tested side by side with a multistrada and said the bee em was mental ! Looking forward to test ride myself :cool:

My bro has hust ordered one tested side by side with a multistrada and said the bee em was mental ! Looking forward to test ride myself :cool:

If you can safely get 2 out of a 4 car line in an overtake with a 1200LC, the XR will have all 4 of them and still get you in with enough room to have done a further 2 :D

I'd post some video, but having looked through it I don't want to incriminate myself :blast

Sooo it's a great bike that would be better with half the power and a £4K price reduction :D

There's an easy test for whether it had the lowered seat, Phil. Could you reach the ground? :D

I'm 5'11" so never had an issue with seat height. I look shorter due to my width :D

Sooo it's a great bike that would be better with half the power and a £4K price reduction :D

Absolutely, 10K is alot of money for a bike, I'd sacrifice the electronic suspension and the F800 motor is much cheaper to produce. Probably wouldn't need the anti wheelie bollocks on it either. As for the power, yep, there is such a thing as too much. It's fantastic fun, but realistically I'd enjoy thrashing an 800 more than the 1000. The 1000 is additively fast, but you can only blast it in short bursts. The engine is superb, but the chassis is better imho, and I could exploit it more with less power.

And it needs to be heavier. And a few years older. With sticky out cylinders!:p

Don't be fooled. I'm not adverse to a parallel twin, or v twin motor, even my mates hornet 600 motor is a peach (if a bit revvy). The 1150 has been my chosen ride because I can't find anything that floats my boat. I'm a bit anti electrics because most of it is needless. I can't really tell the difference between dynamic and road mode on the suspension, and electronic preload is unnecessary flash for the amount of real world use it has. The traction control on the GSLC was crude, intrusive and just plain awful, the XR chassis allows you to hoof great gobs of power through the rear tyre with no drama. Not even sure if it kicked in, but the anti wheelie must have and I haven't noticed (unlike the GS which nearly split my head open!).

I appreciate technology when necessary and when executed well, both boxes ticked where the XR is concerned.

I don't subscribe to the power train though, I believe that getting the most out a lesser powered machine is more fun. My mates lad has been chasing me on his NC30, grin like a Cheshire cat :D

Back
Top Bottom