August in Romania

The Grey One

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
It looks like we will get our first summer holiday since moving to Austria and Romania is the destination of choice. From here we will probably stop overnight somewhere along Lake Balaton We want to do both the Transalpina and the Transfagarasan, take in Bran Castle and if possible get to the Black sea. We hope to have around two weeks in total, any suggestions for interesting roads/sights would be welcome. We both like historical stuff,and prefer smaller places to big cities.

John

It looks like we will get our first summer holiday since moving to Austria and Romania is the destination of choice. From here we will probably stop overnight somewhere along Lake Balaton We want to do both the Transalpina and the Transfagarasan, take in Bran Castle and if possible get to the Black sea. We hope to have around two weeks in total, any suggestions for interesting roads/sights would be welcome. We both like historical stuff,and prefer smaller places to big cities.

John

Please see some of my earlier posts for recommended roads. In general avoid the south-east (around Bucharest and down towards the Danube - flat and boring) and the extreme west (around Timisoara - also flat and boring). Having said that, if you're coming through Hungary, then via Timisoara is the obvious route. And it's a city worth seeing (bidding for European Capital of Culture in 2021). When are you planning on visiting? - if we're here we'd happily put you up for a night or two - let me know if you're interested.

Transfagarasan should be open from the end of this month. Still trying to find out what's happening with Transalpina.

Be careful about the Black Sea - avoid the major holiday destinations (Mamaia etc.) - they will be heaving and extremely unpleasant. A visit to the dentist would be more appealing.

Danube Gorge, through the "Iron Gates" (DN57) is wonderful - check out Pensiune Septembrie as possible accommodation.

Dave

Please see some of my earlier posts for recommended roads. In general avoid the south-east (around Bucharest and down towards the Danube - flat and boring) and the extreme west (around Timisoara - also flat and boring). Having said that, if you're coming through Hungary, then via Timisoara is the obvious route. And it's a city worth seeing (bidding for European Capital of Culture in 2021). When are you planning on visiting? - if we're here we'd happily put you up for a night or two - let me know if you're interested.

Transfagarasan should be open from the end of this month. Still trying to find out what's happening with Transalpina.

Be careful about the Black Sea - avoid the major holiday destinations (Mamaia etc.) - they will be heaving and extremely unpleasant. A visit to the dentist would be more appealing.

Danube Gorge, through the "Iron Gates" (DN57) is wonderful - check out Pensiune Septembrie as possible accommodation.

Dave

Hi Dave

Thanks for the info and the kind offer, we would very much like to stay a night with you if possible as long as you can cope with lots of questions. We plan to leave here on the 20th August and stop overnight in Hungary so we could be with you on the 21st if that is OK.

Any advice on the Black Sea would be very welcome-I hate dentists! Ros is very keen on ancient history so somewhere with such sites would be good.

John

Hi John

I'm afraid we're out of Romania from 5 - 26 August, so although it would be great to meet you, it looks like it won't be possible. If you still intend to stay overnight in Timisoara, check out this place - highly recommended.

We're about as far from the Black Sea as it's possible to get within Romania - in fact the Adriatic's closer - so I can't really offer any advice on that.

Dave

Hi John

I'm afraid we're out of Romania from 5 - 26 August, so although it would be great to meet you, it looks like it won't be possible. If you still intend to stay overnight in Timisoara, check out this place - highly recommended.

We're about as far from the Black Sea as it's possible to get within Romania - in fact the Adriatic's closer - so I can't really offer any advice on that.

Dave

Sorry to miss you but thanks for the help so far we have booked the hotel you suggested.

John

Back
Top Bottom