Trying to work 550

King Rat

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
I have had the Zumo 550 since 2011 - it still works well, in that it tells me which way to go if I put in a post code. Unfortunately, that is as much as I understand. (You have to realise I do not understand ANY of what Whatton has written in his "what I now know about the Zumo" topic - I have read it and read it and read it, trying to decipher what it means....)

I am still on the basic maps the Zumo came with - I have lifetime maps from Garmin, but have not worked out how to use them yet. I can't even find out how to download them - I have contacted customer support, several times, but not even had a reply, despite them sying they will contact me within 3 business days.....still waiting 4 years later. I have done that several times, not received a communication back yet.

I have Garmin Express, but I can't find where the maps section is on it. My Zumo shows up on the list when I turn Garmin Express on....and it says to update maps. I have tried it, and I think it has done that, but then I can't see the maps afterwards.

We went to Italy in April, in the car, the maps ran out just after Dover.....good job I have a road atlas. It got us there and back. :thumb2

I am going to The faroes in August and I need to try to learn how to use the Zumo more than what I can do at the moment - is there a course I can go anywhere does anyone know (I need one for my mobile phone too)? Everyone says "it's easy" - I wish they wouldn't because it is far from easy. If it was easy, I wouldn't be asking for this help.

Is there anyone willing to come and help me work out what to do please? You won't be able to ride home though, not after the beer I shall provide. :aidan

Let's start right at the beginning. Do you have Mapsource installed on your PC? Yes, great. No, not great. Go and install it before you do anything else. How do you install it?

Google: how do i install mapsource on a new pc

Do nothing more until you have Mapsurce installed and running on your PC. Done it? Great, let's move on..... with getting the updated maps onto your computer and onto your device.

(1) Google: installing garmin maps on pc

Then...

(2) Google: how to install maps on zumo 550

Report back when you've completed those two tasks and not before.

PS Don't bleat. The ape creatures that ride motorcycles have mastered at least this much and some of them more. Why should you be any different.

Wapping - thank you for helping. It is more than Garmin have done.
I have tried to install Mapsource, it says you have to install Basecamp first - it is downloading now. Then I will download Mapsource. Until I had the Zumo I had used maps all my life, so I know nothing about these gadgets - I still use my Mk111 compass and a map/chart when hiking and sea kayaking or fishing.

The Zumo is brilliant at taking me through towns, but I can only work it if I have the post code to type in....I had to ask a van driver how to make the post code work, pressing the post code bar isn't the first thing that springs to mind!

I got a Samsung Galaxy the other week, my first smart phone, my Nokia 3100 had died......this fancy dancy phone wouldn't answer calls. I could text, receive texts and MKAE phone calls, but it wouldn't ANSWER calls. I drove back over to Stafford to the shop where I bought it and complained it wouldn't answer.....I got them to ring me to show them how it wouldn't answer......I was pressing the green button for all I was worth, and it wouldn't answer. How the hell was I supposed to know you wipe your finger across it? I had been pressing the green button for 15 years......:augie

Right - I got Basecamp installed, then pages sprang up all over the place - I closed them all because I just couldn't cope. One of them wanted to change my toolbar and install ASK and other stuff. I have enough trouble with the page I see now without changing it to something different.

What's the next step please...Basecamp and Garmin Express are what I have got.

I have managed to get the Mapsource done too now.

Let's start right at the beginning. Do you have Mapsource installed on your PC? Yes, great. No, not great. Go and install it before you do anything else. How do you install it?

Google: how do i install mapsource on a new pc

DONE - not too difficult

Do nothing more until you have Mapsurce installed and running on your PC. Done it? Great, let's move on..... with getting the updated maps onto your computer and onto your device.

(1) Google: installing garmin maps on pc

NOT SO EASY.....the instructions are bloody complicated
Garmin Express has the ability to install maps to compatible computers for use with BaseCamp and MapInstall.1

To install maps to the computer with a new map update:

Connect the device to the computer
Open Garmin Express if the application does not start automatically
Windows: Open Garmin Express from the Windows Start menu, Start screen, or the Desktop shortcut icon
Mac: Launch Garmin Express from the Applications folder or Spotlight
Select a device that has a map update available
Click Check for Updates if a map update does not display
Click View Details
Click Installation Options
Select Computer and Device
Windows Only - If necessary, click Browse to change the map install location
Click Install
Click Accept
Click Yes or Continue when the User Account Control prompt displays (Windows only)

Then...

(2) Google: how to install maps on zumo 550

Report back when you've completed those two tasks and not before.

PS Don't bleat. The ape creatures that ride motorcycles have mastered at least this much and some of them more. Why should you be any different.

I am struggling to understand the Garmin instructions.

Computer has just thrown a wobbly - a page came up saying something about drivers -a warning of some sort and all in red. Something about Windows not permitting access or somethng.

Right, giving up for now. I have to load the car and drive to Plymouth tomorrow - injured vets out on the kjayaks on Friday all day, then Armed Forces Day on The Hoe Saturday (come and say hello - Heroes On the Water UK stand, with the Krazy casting for the kids), then I am doing a kayak fishing safety course on the Sunday - so won't be near a computer until Monday. I'll try again then.

Thanks for help so far.

Just spent nearly 3 hours on the phone to Garmin Europe, with the Zumo plugged in to the computer.....THEY can't get it to work either, but the reason is, they cannot understand why I am not getting the options to download this and that, or option to install something else - in other words, I only have part of the system, not everything is available to me, despite the device showing up as having been registered in 2013 and all the maps being updated and I should have all of Europe, Africa and America available for download.....but I can't because the "download" button is missing and my registration says I am up to date with everything (Lifetime maps)

Hmm - so maybe what I thought was difficult won't be once I have the system that I need made available. :rob

Back
Top Bottom