DRZ questions would like some answers please

MickDB1

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Hey up
Just got a DRZ for me travels / events in Spain
Seems OK but suspension is a bit all over
I can and have ridden it but is there anyone with the setup for a slim bloke like me = 14 1/2 stone or a link to guidance or a normal setup setting.
The front seems Ok with a TKC on it and I am happyish with that
Also are all Mitas rear tyres a bit looseon cornering - this buggers feel like a slow puncture when at speed in tightish bends - feel like it is to roll of the rim
Also Grip puppy / Foam overhand grips any good for this bike

Any thing else I should be knowing or test/try please
Thanks for any help given :thumby:

Attachments

• DRZ sorted 2.jpg
    DRZ sorted 2.jpg
    111.1 KB · Views: 223
  • DRZ sorted 3.jpg
    DRZ sorted 3.jpg
    106.9 KB · Views: 195
IMG_0381.jpg

IMG_0832.jpg

Are you doing road work or proper trails?

I will mostly for light trails and unsurfaced roads in Spain in the main with a bit of roads while I am there. There is a bit of trailing still left in the peaks but I am no riding god or want to be !! Picture 2 is about as hard as I want to be doing at my age - Missis says if I look after mesen today I can go out termorra
I ponytreck on 2 wheels
I have a bike for the road anyway and of course the bike is fast enough at 65 mph - on a private trail of course
Thanks for the reply

In truth I have the same bike as you... The Mitas isquite a hard compound and handles like shit. The rear spring is set up for a anorexic chick of twelve.... On a plus side it finds quite a bit of grip on soft stuff... But it isn't a track bike with this set up... And if you fill that tank then it's like you have put on another 10kgs....
Just enjoy it slower.

Be interested to hear in settings for forks, I posted on abr asking for basic set up info and had no replies,am lead to believe the forks are a bit over damped on rebound but have nothing to back this up,at the mo I have everything mid pos but havnt really ridden it yet,I can say it is a long way from perfect yet

I never gelled with mine (E) off road but used it to some effect as a SM hill climber.
I dropped the forks by 10mm for the 17" wheels to quicken up the steering and initially, 'cos I was lazy, didn't put them back when putting the trail wheels back on.
The quicker steering worked better for me off road so I left it :)

Andres

Mick, they were originally set ip for a 70kg rider (or something like that). Speak to Kai's, they used to motocross one and know lots about what you can and can't do. Stiffer springs front and rear make all the difference.
Be careful with the oil drain plug, the cases are really thin and it only needs torquing to 7nm iirc, do not be tempted to tighten more than the recommended torque, even a slight bit more has been known to crack them.

E bikes had more front suspension adjustment early on, but can't remember if Suzuki put the S fork on the E or the E fork in the S later on.

Great bikes, but really need a 6th gear, E model with the pumper carb has significantly more oomph. Use water wetter in the rads and don't worry about cooling if it has no fan. S model fans won't fit easily on e rads. Some have added computer fans on E models, but They don't boil over as quickly as a berg so I don't think you'll need em. Kick start kit is well worth it. Standard E charging wiring is piss poor and worth overhauling, but the kick start is a great back up.

Front sprocket can cause issues, check the thumper talk forum or the drz forum for the easy solution. Issues cause the output shaft seal to fail and dump all the oil so worth checking regularly.

Awesome bikes though and surprisingly good to ride when set up well.

Thanks again folks - Flip - You are a star as per normal - I have a kicker in place and an engine that seems well powerful up to normal speeds for a trail bike. I will get a workshop manual or maybe is there is a downloadable one available ??. I have now a owners manual that slightly covers the suspension but I thought it easier to ask the more comfier figured riders on here for their knowledge. What a great site this is !!!!!

Looking at it again Mick, it looks like an S model. Does it have the digital speedo?

If it is an S then the charging system is better thought out and not a problem iirc.

Plenty you can do to give it more oomph to.

I replaced the fork springs and shock spring on mine (from Race Tech IIRC) as I am just slightly on the wrong side of 70kg. :augie
Another mod which is worth it's weight in gold on the 's' model is the 3x3 mod. Involves opening up the airbox, removing some restrictors and changing a carb jet and needle. It is a well known mod (have a look on Thumpertalk, there is loads of info with walkthrough instructions etc). Simple to do and makes a staggering difference to the soggy (as standard) pick up.

I replaced the fork springs and shock spring on mine (from Race Tech IIRC) as I am just slightly on the wrong side of 70kg. :augie
Another mod which is worth it's weight in gold on the 's' model is the 3x3 mod. Involves opening up the airbox, removing some restrictors and changing a carb jet and needle. It is a well known mod (have a look on Thumpertalk, there is loads of info with walkthrough instructions etc). Simple to do and makes a staggering difference to the soggy (as standard) pick up.

Chances are it's been done, but defo worth checking.

The LCD display is known to leak and fail too. Not an issue because a trail tech or similar is way lighter for the same amount of info.

Looks good Mick.
Bring it round sometime and we'll go for a gentle bimble (ie not on KTM!)
Not in the next two weeks tho' -I'm getting married!
Cheers
Richard

I will take your offer up as soon as yer get up with following the - Isle -Alter - Hymn that always follows a wedding Richard and once again = thanks for all the info lads - It is being checked and acted on Termorra :thumby:
Mick

I know I keep repeating myself but thanks again pal :thumby:
I forgot yerd told me about that site Archie but I did get some lowering links off a good lad off this site who lives near Barnsley
Cheers

Oh forgot to mention re your squirrely handling. If memory serves me right it has a 140 rear tyre? I noticed with mine on a 140 it adversely affected the handling and in particular off road on trails. When I put a 120 back on the handling was much more predictable and I will be replacing my almost slick TKC rear before we go to Spain. HTH.

See you when I get back from France.

Looks like I am a too big a lad for the bike at standard setting.
Anyone have a rear shock heavy duty spring in their shed ??

Back
Top Bottom