R1150GS Adventure Clock Reset / Battery Flat?

Deleted account 190222001

Reaction score
Good morning all, having a bit of bother and thought I'd ask the experts before I go ordering a new battery or anything more drastic.

Story so far (feel free to skip this bit as it turned into a bit of an episode):

Tuesday last week I decided half way through a particularly boring meeting that I should propose to my girlfriend who i have been living in sin with for about 8 years... so I nailed it home (abandoning work for the day) changed into my finest "lets sit on the motorway for 2+ hours" clobber, plugged my Tom Tom Urban Rider II into the front Hella(Din) socket on my motorstickle, and climbed on board... realising that my clock had turned off... weird... tried turning on the prat-nav, nothing, unplugged it... same (obviously). Turned on the ignition, business as usual, clock now reading 00:00... Repeated the process and same again, this time on unplugging the Din connector I noticed a small U shaped piece of metal had come away from the port and was sitting on the "nipple" of the plug... bit weird, so I pocketed it and tried the Din port on the left side, nothing going to the SatNav... still nothing on the clock... So fack it I just ride East until it got busy and people started talking funny.

Managed to get there and back in one piece (Took seven hours, costs loads, but managed to beat her home by ten minutes). Hooked the GS up to my optimate thinking an over night charge would do (then did the whole soppy romantic talk whilst taking a knee - avoiding old oil spillages in the garage - and ended up engaged and shit) but still had a nagging feeling that something was up with the old Adventure...

Present Day:
Optimating every night, still no life from the clock until I turn the ignition, then it'll work until I turn it off again. No life from alarm either... so I'm thinking the battery (original on a 05 plate) is fooooked and plugging the SatNav in before she was running just pushed it over the edge... and the Din connector is allright (apart from that wee U shaped bit) so an MB51814 is on the cards... yeah?

Would appreciate any advice, no matter how offensive :beerjug:

Maybe bad cell in the battery, maybe bad connection somewhere.

Get a voltmeter across the battery terminals, press the starter. If voltage drops to below about 9 volts, knackered (or flat due to failed charging circuit) battery.

If OK (11-12 volts ish), connect -ve lead of meter to an earth (maybe starter bolt behind the plastic cover) and try again.

Low voltage now means bad earth connection - trace the battery negative lead and clean the connections to the engine & frame.

If OK, connect +ve lead of meter to starter terminal and try again... You get the gist?

Good luck :thumby

Don't worry too much, the bike will soon be history and you will have a car, anyway congratulations hope all works out well. How much is bike going for?.:aidan:aidan:blagblah:blagblah:blagblah

All very good points... and yes there was a concern that I'd be swapping the bike for a wedding dress, but the guitars, Landrover and all of her girly shite would go across the auction block before I thought about parting way with the last of what was once a nice little garage of bikes.

Cheers for your help guys, I'll whip out to the carpark at lunchtime with my leatherman and work through your suggestions above. Would have done it last night but got distracted by being a drunken fool at a BBQ with a paddling pool.

All very good points... and yes there was a concern that I'd be swapping the bike for a wedding dress, but the guitars, Landrover and all of her girly shite would go across the auction block before I thought about parting way with the last of what was once a nice little garage of bikes.

Cheers for your help guys, I'll whip out to the carpark at lunchtime with my leatherman and work through your suggestions above. Would have done it last night but got distracted by being a drunken fool at a BBQ with a paddling pool.

Serves you right for inviting a paddling pool to a BBQ.....they're all alkies :nono

As Steptoe says fuse 3 check that first, he knows a thing or 10.

If it blows again that's when the fun starts.......

Nailed it, bloody fuse. Cheers for the help, a bit concerned that pulling that fuse killed the alarm... then again I can't recall if the alarm was armed or disarmed when I plugged in the SatNav to blow the fuse in the first place. I will replace the Hella(Din) port with the mystery U shaped bit of metal (must have shorted) to avoid future confusion.

Mental note: check fuses before posting on forum next time :friday

Back
Top Bottom