Come on Cato .... Lets be having yer ....

Why didn't BMW put shaft drive on the XR ?

Surely that would give it more appeal?

Nasty oily & messy chains :(

Taking your question seriously

Probably because they want to compete or better the M Strada and a shaft loses so many of the horses and some of the instantaneous delivery of them that to do better than the MS a chain was needed !

I don't see chains as too much of a hassle these days as long as some maintenance is done 20k is achievable and lets be fair here a chain and sprocket set is much cheaper than final drive and bearings etc etc replacement

But chains are a butt pain, as long as the shaft drive is pretty reliable - it's much better, must be

Took the rear off my GSA this week - 3-4 mins
Refitted it ~ 3-4 mins & my hands were clean

On my chain driven bikes removing & refitting the rear wheel is a major PITA

Dismantle everything - remember which spacer goes where & lay out according for re assembly

Grease everything before re assembly, line up all the spacers, whilst balancing the wheel etc, slide the spindle in

You need 3 hands, really & it takes at least 10-20 mins if the spacers don't drop out :(

After all that, your hands & forearms are covered in chain lube :(

In addition there's all that lubing & adjusting & messy lube all over the rear wheel & back of the bike :(

Major PITA chains are :(

But chains are a butt pain, as long as the shaft drive is pretty reliable - it's much better, must be

Dismantle everything - remember which spacer goes where & lay out according for re assembly

Grease everything before re assembly, line up all the spacers, whilst balancing the wheel etc, slide the spindle in

You need 3 hands, really & it takes at least 10-20 mins if the spacers don't drop out :(

In addition there's all that lubing & adjusting & messy lube all over the rear wheel & back of the bike :(

Ha ha ha :D

:jes

We can't have a banker getting his hands dirty now can we :eek:

Shaft drive Mick, you know it makes perfect sense really

Pity they don't make the F8GS with a shaft :)

Nah .... My back end is as clean as any 1150/1200 what with their final drive dribbles :eek:

:p:p

Nah .... My back end is as clean as any 1150/1200 what with their final drive dribbles :eek:

:p:p

Speak for yourself about dribbles :p

In 1000's of miles from a R1100RS to a R12GSA - I don't recall you have much trouble with a shaft

Chains are for agricultural machinery :)

Agree with JB, alternatively why not fit belt drive. Longer life and none of that lubing and adjusting nonsense. :rolleyes:

Most of this is fixed without needing a shaft drive if the chain drive bike has a single sided swinger as with the Multistrada.
I did as many miles on the Duke as I did on my GS and didn't see the chain as much of an issue to be honest (using dry lube).

Plus a single sider just looks so much better - the lack of one won't stop me buying the XR though. ;)

Fond memories of me as a spotty 16yr old with my mums best roasting tray, graphite grease and the Triumph chain, slowly baking in the oven to melt the grease and get it into the chain. Can't understand why she was more than a little upset. Just cos it stunk the kitchen and oven out, no sense of humour these wimmin :D

Fond memories of me as a spotty 16yr old with my mums best roasting tray, graphite grease and the Triumph chain, slowly baking in the oven to melt the grease and get it into the chain. Can't understand why she was more than a little upset. Just cos it stunk the kitchen and oven out, no sense of humour these wimmin :D
been there done that! ooof feck.

Back
Top Bottom