"Type A" Helmet

jphelps

I'm struggling to find a new helmet with the old blue "Type A" sticker. I need a new helmet for pillion use by my wife and son but also for motorsport use by me as we are going to hill-climb a kit car. I'm in Berkshire - any ideas?

i think you are looking for the old standard

Helmet Standards

All road legal motorcycle helmets sold in the UK must conform to British Standard 6658 and will be either categorised as Type A (blue label) or Type B (green label). These stickers are normally located on the back of the helmet and will also include a batch identity number. If it doesn't have a sticker, don't buy it, it may be an import and will not be legal on British roads. A recent article suggested that most Traffic Police were not interested in the safety stamp, providing the helmet was a recognisable brand and model. However, this may change in the future.
The BSI 6658 standard is one of the toughest tests for motorcycle helmets in the world. It is generally accepted to be better than the American DOT and European CE standards. The standard doesn't just test new helmet designs, but mandates testing of a %age of all batches manufactured. All this helps to reduce the risk to you in the event of an accident. Recently the European Union have addressed this by creating EC 2205 which is accepted as an equivalent to BSI 6658.

A Type B (green) label - ensures that the helmet meets the minimum criteria for a road legal helmet and has been tested for general riding use.
A Type A (blue) label - helmet exceeds this criteria and has been tested to withstand maximum impact (including a chin bar tests, etc.). The Type A test is aimed at helmets which may be used for racing.
In addition to your Blue or Green BSI sticker, your helmet may also have an Auto-Cycling Union (ACU) gold or silver badge. The ACU is the governing body of motorcycle sport throughout the British Isles, excluding Ireland. ACU accreditation is different from the BSI standards, however they typically match the standard, with ACU gold going to most Type A helmets and Silver to Type Bs. The price of a type B will range between about £40 and £100, while a Type A will range around £70 to £400. Always try to go for a type A/gold if you can afford it, as it will give better protection and should last you longer. You will also be allowed to use it on a track day if you wish.
While it is not a legal requirement to have a visor, if one is fitted it must comply with the BS 4110 ZA or YA test standards. These standards define impact and scratch resistance as well as tint. Blacked out visors are not road legal as is any visor not marked with the BS stamp.

http://www.prestondmc.co.uk/SectionC2004.pdf

lods of lids out there:D

thanks for the info - you understand my problem. However, your last statement is not proving to be true. Of all the bike shops I've been to so far (5) only one has any 6658, Type A helmets (made by Craft) and although they were attractively priced they didn't fit! All other helmets only have the gold ACU sticker which is not acepted by the MSA (Motor Sport Association).

jphelps said:
I'm struggling to find a new helmet with the old blue "Type A" sticker. I need a new helmet for pillion use by my wife and son but also for motorsport use by me as we are going to hill-climb a kit car. I'm in Berkshire - any ideas?

Yes. Don't share one helmet between three people unless you all have identically-sized and shaped heads. ;) Helmet pads mould themselves to fit the wearer over a period of time.

There is a difference between what may be legally sold in the UK and what may be legally worn. You can still wear helmets that were tested under older British standards than 6658:1985, but you should no longer be able to buy one from a shop.

You can also buy and wear a helmet that has passed UN ECE Reg 22.05. These helmets (and visors) have a white UN label inside the helmet or on the strap with an E surrounded by a circle and a number at about 4 o'clock inside the circle. There will also be an approval number next to it - that number must start with '05'.

You can wear (but not buy) any helmet that was made and tested to an equivalent or better standard than 6658:1985 or UN ECE 22.05. Ask the supplier if the helmet offers such protection. I believe this would include the Snell standard if you're using something bought in the USA.

There is an earlier UN ECE standard, 22.04, that is NOT as good as 6658:1985 because it did not include a chin guard test or test for rotation-inducing forces caused by projecting surfaces and/or friction. It's not legal to buy in the UK.

This information was brought to you by the DETR advice to Approved Training Bodies. I must get out more....

In a practical sense, anything that is legal to buy in the UK is likely to be good enough for your purpose. Most manufacturers only test to UN ECE 22.05 these days because it's cheaper and works for all EU countries and then some. My Arai, for example, is still made to the same standard as it used to be (I hope) but it no longer comes with a Type A sticker, just an E mark.

Are you saying that the motorsport body you're with won't accept UN ECE 22.05?

Cheers, Norman

Norman,

As I understand it the MSA will only acept 6658 Type A or the SNELL standard. They don't seem to accept 2205.

Anyone else got any info?

jphelps said:
Norman,

As I understand it the MSA will only acept 6658 Type A or the SNELL standard. They don't seem to accept 2205.

Anyone else got any info?

That's a bummer, coz it must be almost impossible to get a new helmet with a Type A sticker now. They're being daft and encouraging people to use old helmets instead of new ones. My Arai Quantum F has a Type A sticker coz it's old and newer ones (until they stopped making them) had the 22:05 label. It was the same helmet, made to the same standard, just a different test.

Good luck in your search.

Norman

Back
Top Bottom