Courses to be Motorcycle Expedition Leader

Sèoras_66

Reaction score
As I said in my presentation, I would like to be motorcycle expedition leader. Motorcycle travel is something that i want since I was young and I enjoy living in the nature and be part of it. I believe that motorcycle expedition leader is the job that can give me something similar, and be paid for it.
I was looking for information for a couple of months and I didn't get to much information. That's why I ask you about it.

I know that travel experience is the most important title you can hold in your CV for this job, but I would like to do some courses that can be complementary for this experience like Wilderness medical training or something like that.

What kind of courses do you think I can do to make my CV more attractive for Motorcycle Expedition Business?

Thanks for your help.

I wonder if Timolgra or Bilco have done any courses of this nature?

I'm sure there are, there is a course for everything these days

I would Gaz @ Adventure Bike Warehouse

It would right up his street

Alternatively there is no substitute for getting out there & having a go

Thanks JohnnyBoxer.

Let's see if they answer. If not I will send them a private message.

the a ISO rating for expeditions it's the number of everest from memory.

you'll need medical training and a few other bits and pieces most of all you need expirience.

Do a volunteer season with someone (only ask for expenses)

everyone like a bargain

:D

If you do a first bike on scene course, try to do it with an ambulance service, i have done three, one with a private company organised by my local advanced motorcycling group (crap), one by St Johns Ambulance, very good. One by Great western Ambulance Service, absolutely top quality. The trainer was an experienced paramedic and had huge experience.

Your going to be paying for the corse so make sure its the best.

If you expect to 'get paid', I'm afraid you're in for a rude awakening.

At best, you will get your expenses covered......
It's a fantastic 'lifestyle' job, it will help you grow as a person and gain all sorts of experiences which WILL be valued by future employers in 'proper' jobs later on in your life, but if you break even on the money side over a year of doing it, you'll have done REALLY well ;)

Please don't take that as discouragement........do it if it's for you, but you have to go into it with open eyes and realistic expectations :rob

I'm not sure you can be trained to be a tour leader. In my book, you either can or you can't as it has so many different facets.

You can learn all about mechanics, medical stuff, living in the boonies, riding like a paris dakar hero but when it comes down to it, you are dealing with people and that is where the skill comes in. I'm sure Fanum, Timolgra, Skygod and any other person who has run would agree with that. Patience, understanding a huge sense of humour are the main requirements.

I have to say it's a very rewarding thing to do and taking people to places they never thought they would get to and watching their faces when they get there, is a real joy.

Good luck with it and hope find a way in somehow.

I'm not sure you can be trained to be a tour leader. In my book, you either can or you can't as it has so many different facets.

You can learn all about mechanics, medical stuff, living in the boonies, riding like a paris dakar hero but when it comes down to it, you are dealing with people and that is where the skill comes in. I'm sure Fanum, Timolgra, Skygod and any other person who has run would agree with that. Patience, understanding a huge sense of humour are the main requirements.

I have to say it's a very rewarding thing to do and taking people to places they never thought they would get to and watching their faces when they get there, is a real joy.

Good luck with it and hope find a way in somehow.

Yup.......spot on :beerjug:

Thanks for your help guys.
I will start doing some medical training courses.

'Conflict resolution' and basic man management courses are just as important.........if you don't have any medical/trauma first aid training, that's a must, but you'll use those only occasionally whilst you'll use the first two every day :beerjug:

I agree, but equally, I've known at least one successful tour leader who doesn't have all those skills. What he does have is a vast network of contacts - which is how he came to be leading tours in the first place - someone simply asked him if he would, knowing him to be competent and that more or less whatever and wherever help might be required would likely be only a phone call away. Reputation is everything.

And, yes, he does it mainly for his own enjoyment, just aiming to cover his expenses.

Back
Top Bottom