Roscoff

drimcong

Reaction score
Hi Guys,
trying to get from Cork to Roscoff at the end of August, or is the Rosslare ferry any better?
Anyway, is there a difference between booking online, or an agency with better fares?
Tried to search the Forum, which I find a bit frustrating, not much luck finding posts.
Any advice is appreciated.
Cheers
Josey

I think Brittany Ferries used to do that route. Extortionate fares for what was originally set up to support the local Breton rural economy (I believe). Never found anyway cheaper than with BF direct.

Always found online booking cheapest, though some recommend 'Nutt Travel' up north / it's never worked for me. :nenau
Checked prices yesterday and was surprised to find Brittany were the cheapest!
BUT,
routes and times dont always suit cheapest price.
Routes:
Cork > Roscoff = Brittany.
Rosslare > Roscoff or Cherbourg = Stena and (in-no-way :rolleyes:)Irish Ferries
Stena also do a return from Cherbourg to Dublin which may explain the lower price from Brittany; which must be taking some of their business away.
Best check their websites / but i'm fairly confident the above is correct.
Good Luck and enjoy - i hope we get to go over later this year. :)

Thanx guys for helping out.
Intended to use public transport over there, might as well forget it, Paimpol to Roscoff on a Friday takes about 15hours or so, leaving at the crack of dawn.
Rosser to Roscer was ca. 800 Euronen and ORK to Roscoff booked out for a car (herself won't sit on the back of a bike)
I just wanted to visit friend who rented a holiday home with extra space, hang around the fetes and sample the drink and grub, where a car might get in the way.
Back to the drawing board.
Cheers
Josey

Irish Ferries from Rosslare is usually cheaper than Brittany Ferries. The ferry, Oscar Wilde, is a nice boat too as is the Pont Aven (Brittany Ferries).
The bad thing about going in August is that the prices go through the roof for the months of July/August. You have more options as regards dates by sailing from Rosslare. Brittany Ferries sail out on Saturday only and return leaving Roscoff on Friday's only.

Hi Josey,
we booked online with irish ferries, with no problems.
now we booked backed in December last year for August this year,
why we did it so early because of the over night cabin's, they were beening booked up rapid.
we're going from Rosslare to Rosscoff, and on the way back it's Cherbourg to Rosslare,
we where trying to come back to Dublin, but all the cabin's were booked up,
Cost us for bike, myself & wife €414,,,
That was with Irishferries.com
cheers my good man,
steve..

+1 for Irish ferries. Was meant to go in the car at the end of August from Rosslare to Cherbourg. Drove from my home to Rosslare (5 hours) to discover I had picked up my son's passport by mistake (I know, I swore too!!) Had to drive home again (another 5 hours) and reorganise (and pay for) a landbridge from Dublin to Holyhead followed by the channel tunnel crossing for the following morning as the Rosslare boat only sails every other day (Aw well got a run on the channel tunnel- Something I might never had done otherwise lol). Contacted Irish ferries by emai and explained what had happened, my fault etc, was there anything they could do ?(beg, beg)

They only placed a credit on my booking reference for a one way crossing from Rosslare to Cherbourg valid to December 2016 !! Result !! I will certainly use them again as their customer service was excellent

They only placed a credit on my booking reference for a one way crossing from Rosslare to Cherbourg valid to December 2016 !! Result !! I will certainly use them again as their customer service was excellent

In fairness to them you couldn't argue with that. A great result indeed for you. :thumb2

Thanx Guys
basically the trip is from the 30th for week.
The Rosslare boat seemed expensive what with the cabin with a window feature.
Bike is out of the question and driving the car usually leads to arguments of the 'which left do you mean' kind.
I need to get to Paimpol, and might try French public transport.
Piced it at 68Eur rtn for two.
The bummer is to get from Morlaix to the Ferry after 18:30h as not to leave Paimpol at the carck of dawn, .i.e. about one.
Ah well a bit like the olden days, leaving the Ruhr by train and getting several boat in/from Blighty and the trains to the Wesht.
Cheers
Josey

Hi uys,

is the free parking in Ringaskiddy near the ferry?
Away for a week in France and leaving the car in Ireland
thanx
Josey

At the terminal should be free I think.
Never saw a fee mentioned.
Can park @ 30-40 cars there, so I think it is ok, once they are not all gone.
Could always park in the village and walk over - @ 10 mins or so

Back
Top Bottom