***Please Note*** you can not create threads directly in this section. This section is made up of threads that have been moved here from other areas of the site
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 16 of 30

Thread: Private number plate retention..

  1. #1
    What a waste. Click here to find out how to Subscribe
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    S/W London.
    Posts
    50,508

    Private number plate retention..

    Blimey what a difference..... just put a private number plate on retention. All done online and new number (the original reg number) issued within one minute.
    That would have taken at least three weeks in the "good old days".

    And no charge for changing the insurance details.. A win double..
    All your BMW servicing needs at the .gsshop.biz, including 1200 models

    Recommended as an "excellent independant" in Ride magazine 2009.

  2. #2
    Say little....... observe all. Click here to find out how to Subscribe
    Join Date
    Jan 2001
    Location
    Shropshirington
    Posts
    13,565
    Am I right in thinking it is still £80 to put it on retention?

    What happens regarding the log book? If you're selling the car/bike I guess you need to wait for that to arrive before selling?

  3. #3
    What a waste. Click here to find out how to Subscribe
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    S/W London.
    Posts
    50,508
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul G (BHT) View Post
    Am I right in thinking it is still £80 to put it on retention?

    What happens regarding the log book? If you're selling the car/bike I guess you need to wait for that to arrive before selling?
    Yes still £80, but that's for ten years retention... New log book is on the way promised within 3-4 days.

    You can also use a number that's on retention in the same way, transfer it onto a new vehicle online in a matter of minutes.
    All your BMW servicing needs at the .gsshop.biz, including 1200 models

    Recommended as an "excellent independant" in Ride magazine 2009.

  4. #4
    Subscriber Click here to find out how to Subscribe
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Deep in the Forest amongst the little people..
    Posts
    11,137
    Yup...just a word of caution...new plate authorisation only lasts 72 hours.....

  5. #5
    What a waste. Click here to find out how to Subscribe
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    S/W London.
    Posts
    50,508
    Quote Originally Posted by Pingu View Post
    Yup...just a word of caution...new plate authorisation only lasts 72 hours.....
    Does that mean you're allowed 72 hours driving/riding with the "old" plate still attached to the vehicle ?
    All your BMW servicing needs at the .gsshop.biz, including 1200 models

    Recommended as an "excellent independant" in Ride magazine 2009.

  6. #6
    Subscriber Click here to find out how to Subscribe
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Deep in the Forest amongst the little people..
    Posts
    11,137
    Quote Originally Posted by Steptoe View Post
    Does that mean you're allowed 72 hours driving/riding with the "old" plate still attached to the vehicle ?
    It used to be " as soon as possible" Now it has a time limit....

  7. #7
    What a waste. Click here to find out how to Subscribe
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    S/W London.
    Posts
    50,508
    Quote Originally Posted by Pingu View Post
    It used to be " as soon as possible" Now it has a time limit....
    My old plates are stuck in place with that extremely sticky backing tape.. i'll need a chisel
    All your BMW servicing needs at the .gsshop.biz, including 1200 models

    Recommended as an "excellent independant" in Ride magazine 2009.

  8. #8
    Subscriber Click here to find out how to Subscribe
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    UK/France
    Posts
    13,736
    Quote Originally Posted by Steptoe View Post
    Blimey what a difference..... just put a private number plate on retention. All done online and new number (the original reg number) issued within one minute.
    That would have taken at least three weeks in the "good old days".

    And no charge for changing the insurance details.. A win double..
    That's not the attitude. What's happened to broken Britain, rip-off Britian etc?
    There can only be 11 and I'm one.

    My pics

  9. #9
    Subscriber Click here to find out how to Subscribe
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Deep in the Forest amongst the little people..
    Posts
    11,137
    Quote Originally Posted by Steptoe View Post
    My old plates are stuck in place with that extremely sticky backing tape.. i'll need a chisel
    Old fashioned cheese wire...with handles....

  10. #10
    Say little....... observe all. Click here to find out how to Subscribe
    Join Date
    Jan 2001
    Location
    Shropshirington
    Posts
    13,565
    Quote Originally Posted by Steptoe View Post
    .... You can also use a number that's on retention in the same way, transfer it onto a new vehicle online in a matter of minutes.
    Just done this the old way and filled the form in and sent the logbook back. All done now but I'll know for next time.

    So as you can now do it online, do you just destroy the old log book once the new one arrives?

  11. #11
    Subscriber Click here to find out how to Subscribe
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Deep in the Forest amongst the little people..
    Posts
    11,137
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul G (BHT) View Post
    ...do you just destroy the old log book once the new one arrives?
    Yes....

  12. #12
    What a waste. Click here to find out how to Subscribe
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    S/W London.
    Posts
    50,508
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul G (BHT) View Post
    :

    So as you can now do it online, do you just destroy the old log book once the new one arrives?
    I sell mine on nigerian ebay.
    All your BMW servicing needs at the .gsshop.biz, including 1200 models

    Recommended as an "excellent independant" in Ride magazine 2009.

  13. #13
    Following a new path Click here to find out how to Subscribe
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Clarity
    Posts
    13,991
    Quote Originally Posted by Steptoe View Post
    My old plates are stuck in place with that extremely sticky backing tape.. i'll need a chisel
    Fishing line works well here....
    Quote Originally Posted by The Holy Spirit View Post
    I think you may need some therapy poppet.


    Elizabeth.

  14. #14
    Subscriber Click here to find out how to Subscribe
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    East riding of Yorkshire
    Posts
    189

    Personal plate

    I put my personal plate on retention online last Friday afternoon , new V5 arrived Saturday morning and certificate of registration arrived Monday morning! Very impressed.

  15. #15
    Subscriber Click here to find out how to Subscribe
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Location
    Cheshire
    Posts
    520
    Good post didn't know they had changed the process

  16. #16
    Subscriber Click here to find out how to Subscribe
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Northern Ireland
    Posts
    1,120
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul G (BHT) View Post
    Just done this the old way and filled the form in and sent the logbook back. All done now but I'll know for next time.

    So as you can now do it online, do you just destroy the old log book once the new one arrives?
    Me too......Bollox
    blobbs

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Anyone attending a Ride Out or Event organised through the UKGSer Forums does so at their own risk.
UKGSer.com or anyone organising an event posted here will not be held responsible in any way for damage or personal injury sustained while attending any such events.

Members attending any such event do so at their own risk.

The text, images, graphics, sound files, animation files, video files, and their arrangement on this Website are all subject to copyright and other intellectual property protection. These objects may not be copied for commercial use or distribution, nor may these objects be modified or reposted to other sites without prior written permission.

Disclaimer: Use or depiction of the BMW logo or trademark throughout this web site is for illustrative and editorial purposes only, and to the benefit of the trademark owner, with no intention of infringement of the trademark.

The UKGSer Forums may include adult content for which it cannot be held responsible. Your use of this website constitutes acceptance of the UKGSER network privacy policy

"Its about being a grown up hooligan - and if that means a dark visor, remus open pipe and a bit of speeding out of town then all well and good"