***Please Note*** you can not create threads directly in this section. This section is made up of threads that have been moved here from other areas of the site
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Private number plate retention..

# C2, T1 ,T3 & T4 = Halo Click here to find out how to Subscribe
    and the £80 retention lasts for 10 years after which you can do it for another 10 ...

Poise - The art of raising an eyebrow - not the roof.

Subscriber Click here to find out how to Subscribe
    Did mine last year. Are they making the £80 / 10 years retrospective or ...

I just retained a plate for another year and it was 25 squid. What am I missing?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by tyronj View Post
    I just retained a plate for another year and it was 25 squid. What am I missing?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    you'll probably get the cheque for £25 back in the post with a 10 year retention ticket....

Roger.

This is all very handy info to know, I currently have a plate for sale so it'll make the transfer so much easier when it's sold!!

Restoration and Paint services

07714 266 627

www.ctmotorcycleservices.co.uk

www.facebook.com/ctmotorcycleservices

Log book

I also bought a personal number plate for the bike log book back in 4 days
    Just waiting for number plate to arrive very impressed log books used to take forever

Just bought a bike with a private plate on it. The owner was looking at leaving the plate on the bike as it would delay the sale. However, he checked out the DVLA site and realised he could do it online just as Steppers post. He received an immediate notification confirming the transfer was complete and the 'old' number could be put back on . By the time time I picked the bike up 48hrs later he already had a new v5 back too. Quick and painless
    As the great philosopher Keating once wrote " Life is a rollercoaster, you just gotta ride it!" ------Amen

My current stable of "adventure bikes"
    2009 Guzzi V1200 Sport 8v Triple Black..my weekend sex kitten
    2014 VFR1200X Crosstourer Highlander DCT Camo.. my big trip missile

My BMW history, all gone but not forgotten. K1 , R1100GS, R1150GS, G650 XChallenge, R1200GS TB

Do you get a new mot cert with the correct reg with the log book !

Quote Originally Posted by DING-DONG View Post
    I don't believe its an issue as the DVLA database should recognise the numberplate succession to that vehicle.

It's a good question that ! although to be honest the MOT 'certificate' you get now in reality is just a receipt. The VIN is registered on the MOT so there is a continuous trail. I like the way that the newer MOT receipt/record shows the history of the previous 4-5 MOTs.
    As the great philosopher Keating once wrote " Life is a rollercoaster, you just gotta ride it!" ------Amen

My current stable of "adventure bikes"
    2009 Guzzi V1200 Sport 8v Triple Black..my weekend sex kitten
    2014 VFR1200X Crosstourer Highlander DCT Camo.. my big trip missile

My BMW history, all gone but not forgotten. K1 , R1100GS, R1150GS, G650 XChallenge, R1200GS TB

What a waste. Click here to find out how to Subscribe
    You don't need a new MOT certificate, just use the paper MOT as a reminder for when it runs out.
    All your BMW servicing needs at the .gsshop.biz, including 1200 models

Recommended as an "excellent independant" in Ride magazine 2009.

Is it possible to assign a retained (V778) number to a car owned by someone else without making them a nominee first? In their guide it says -

4. Transfer a registration number

You can transfer your vehicle registration:

from your vehicle to another one in your name
    to a vehicle you’re buying
    to someone else’s vehicle

but doesn't offer explanation of whether the other person needs to be a nominee or not.

Quote Originally Posted by Dansin View Post
    Is it possible to assign a retained (V778) number to a car owned by someone else without making them a nominee first? In their guide it says -

4. Transfer a registration number

You can transfer your vehicle registration:

from your vehicle to another one in your name
    to a vehicle you’re buying
    to someone else’s vehicle

but doesn't offer explanation of whether the other person needs to be a nominee or not.
    I have a V778 and the way I read it I could simply enter the existing registration of the vehicle to which the retained number will be assigned in Section 1.

Your name should show as the Grantee (owner) at the top of page, so you sign in Section 1 to assign number to a currently registered vehicle.

The wording on the form suggests that DVLA don't care if you are buying a brand new vehicle, assigning reg to your own registered vehicle, or giving / selling the reg to another person for their vehicle.

I've swapped many times and just sigh with relief when the crisp new V5 drops through the door.
    Carpe Diem!

Click here to find out how to remove these ads

I finally spoke with dvla today. If the other person is not already a nominee you can't do it online.

For the benefit of others. On the V778 put the existing car registration in section 1; grantee sign and date section 1; fill in the nominee details in section 2; grantee sign and date section 6.

If it's a newly acquired vehicle, Fill in the new keeper section on the v5c and send both documents to dvla.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12