Radiator Guards

I was chatting to the manager of my local dealership today about accessories and mods, radiator guards in particular.

He stated that adding 3rd party radiator/cooler guards would void the warranty as it would affect the airflow through the rad & cooler!?

Typical dealer "bollocks", my dealer, one of the biggest in Yorkshire said they would fit them no problem!! Maybe a problem in 35deg but not in the UK climate.

Typical dealer "bollocks", my dealer, one of the biggest in Yorkshire said they would fit them no problem!! Maybe a problem in 35deg but not in the UK climate.

In the relatively cool UK probably not a big issue except on very hot days - but fitting the guards has probably closed off at least 30% of the radiator area - before people start shouting the odds, I KNOW it's more complex than that BUT the airflow WILL be restricted to some degree so any margin that the designers put into place will have been compromised, obvious innit?

I have 450 miles on the odo......the oil rad is severley damaged. It looks like a couple of 1000 more miles and it would be punctured. Now would that be fair wear and tear or a valid warranty claim?

I have 450 miles on the odo......the oil rad is severley damaged. It looks like a couple of 1000 more miles and it would be punctured. Now would that be fair wear and tear or a valid warranty claim?

Put a guard on the oil rad quick! I love the idea of the S1000XR but I'd be paranoid about the radiators.

In the relatively cool UK probably not a big issue except on very hot days - but fitting the guards has probably closed off at least 30% of the radiator area - before people start shouting the odds, I KNOW it's more complex than that BUT the airflow WILL be restricted to some degree so any margin that the designers put into place will have been compromised, obvious innit?

Dear Mr Engineer

I have spent the last 45 yrs in Engineering, I am a member of the Institution of Mechanical Engineers, a Chartered Engineer and hold an MSc in Engineering. My speciality is Fluid Mechanics, Thermodynamics, Heat Transfer and Aerodynamics, so please do tell me where you get the 30% shit from. If you understood for one minute the standard "fouling" margin that is built into any heat exchanger design then you would know that you are talking complete bollocks, as with most of your posts. BMW are, understandably covering there arses as in the current world of litigation they are very sensible to do so.

Now please do not continue to post on issues that are obviously way beyond your intellect or comprehension.

Dear Mr Engineer

I have spent the last 45 yrs in Engineering, I am a member of the Institution of Mechanical Engineers, a Chartered Engineer and hold an MSc in Engineering. My speciality is Fluid Mechanics, Thermodynamics, Heat Transfer and Aerodynamics, so please do tell me where you get the 30% shit from. If you understood for one minute the standard "fouling" margin that is built into any heat exchanger design then you would know that you are talking complete bollocks, as with most of your posts. BMW are, understandably covering there arses as in the current world of litigation they are very sensible to do so.

Now please do not continue to post on issues that are obviously way beyond your intellect or comprehension.

It doesn't take more than o-level maths to calculate the area of the holes v the solid bits does it?

Read my post again, what part of "fouling margin" don't you understand??

The rad guards are on top of the fouling margin, so are an extra restriction - they can only make the situation worse not better.

P.S I left the institutions behind years ago because they are a self serving organisations full of the old farts who think the old days were always better - In fast moving innovative companies, no one longer bothers with them :p

The rad guards are on top of the fouling margin, so are an extra restriction - they can only make the situation worse not better.

P.S I left the institutions behind years ago because they are a self serving organisations full of the old farts who think the old days were always better - In fast moving innovative companies, no one longer bothers with them :p

Physics is physics, it's got fuck all to do with "fast moving companies". Where to you get your calcs about rad guards being on the top of the fouling margin? If I was you I'd just shut up and quietly go away from a subject that you plainly have no idea about.

Sorry didn't read your post properly. If you have rad guards you won't get fouling so they can't be "on top of" The rad guards are well within the fouling margins allowed. It really does seem to be a difficult subject for you to grasp in a rational and technical way.

Physics is physics, it's got fuck all to do with "fast moving companies". Where to you get your calcs about rad guards being on the top of the fouling margin? If I was you I'd just shut up and quietly go away from a subject that you plainly have no idea about.

Go away do all your analyses and thermodynamic and fluid mechanics modelling, write a paper and post it on here and convince me that that blocking off the radiator by 30% does not have an effect. In the mean time take your CEng, chill and have a glass of wine :)

P.S.
The race teams block off a portion of the radiators all the time when they want the engine to run hotter, not cooler!

You guys do realise there are holes in the guards which allows cooling air to pass through, but hopefully with added protection against stone damage.
Without using maths or bravado knowledge, but using my common sense I expect my cooling system with the mesh guard fitted will get more than enough cool air flow to keep the engined at the right temp.

So on that note mine is being fitted at the earliest opportunity, how many millions of bikes are there out there with rad guards fitted, with no issues. Oh and they look good too.

Terry

Terry

You guys do realise there are holes in the guards which allows cooling air to pass through, but hopefully with added protection against stone damage.
Without using maths or bravado knowledge, but using my common sense I expect my cooling system with the mesh guard fitted will get more than enough cool air flow to keep the engined at the right temp.

So on that note mine is being fitted at the earliest opportunity, how many millions of bikes are there out there with rad guards fitted, with no issues. Oh and they look good too.

Terry

Terry

I am sure that you will be fine with a fine mesh guard - the one in the picture that was posted here had circular holes in a piece of sheet metal - just a quick look (without any maffs, which is what real engineers do initially) clearly showed that about 30% of the area was solid metal. This will restrict the airflow to some extent, the designers will allow some margin for 'natural' restriction cased by road crud etc, would be silly not to, BUT the type of guard the picture will add and extra restriction to the airflow. If putting something in front of the radiator was never going to be a problem then why not just cover it completely!!!!!!

Look at the Evotech guards on an XR, and look at the angle of the holes. NO compromise on cooling, as the holes are angled for optimum air cooling.

All this bollocks about BMW refusing claims is just that. Has anyone tried to make a claim and had it refused? Not that we've heard.

What do BMW fit to their cars in front of the radiators?:augie

Look at the Evotech guards on an XR, and look at the angle of the holes. NO compromise on cooling, as the holes are angled for optimum air cooling.

All this bollocks about BMW refusing claims is just that. Has anyone tried to make a claim and had it refused? Not that we've heard.

What do BMW fit to their cars in front of the radiators?:augie

The only way for the air to flow unrestricted is for there to be nothing in the path of the airflow, putting anything at all in front of the radiators will change the airflow - that is unequivocal, the only debate is by how much and in what way is it affected. Some designs will have less of a restriction than others.

All practical engineering is a compromise, in this case it is a balance of the degree of protection against possible over temperature of the engine, particularly at high ambient temperatures - but BMW have to err on the side of caution because some muppet will fit an overly restrictive protector and then try to make a claim when their engine overheats and goes bang on a racetrack in Spain in August!

If BMW made an approved accessory radiator guard for the S1000XR then there would be no argument, I wonder why they don't?

I
The only way for the air to flow unrestricted is for there to be nothing in the path of the airflow, putting anything at all in front of the radiators will change the airflow - that is unequivocal, the only debate is by how much and in what way is it affected. Some designs will have less of a restriction than others.

All practical engineering is a compromise, in this case it is a balance of the degree of protection against possible over temperature of the engine, particularly at high ambient temperatures - but BMW have to err on the side of caution because some muppet will fit an overly restrictive protector and then try to make a claim when their engine overheats and goes bang on a racetrack in Spain in August!

If BMW made an approved accessory radiator guard for the S1000XR then there would be no argument, I wonder why they don't?

If they did make one it would be double the price of any thing else out there, so I would still buy the best I could at the price I think is reasonable for such an item. You can get quality without having to pay for the name.
Terry

I also wonder why BMW don't, as they've made no difference to the engine temperature. Maybe in a hotter country they might, although I never had any issues on the GS in Italy at temperatures in the late 30's.

Yamaha make and sell guards for the new Tracer, as my mate has fitted them to his, so they obviously aren't worried.

Unbelievable :blast

Engineer, rad guards have been fitted to water cooled bikes for years, I don't ever remember there being a case of damage caused by them....ever.

The worst result of rad guards would be the fan coming on a bit more regularly to regulate the heat, but the nett effect of rad guards is 2/5ths of feck all, but less chance of being stranded with a holed rad.

I was chatting to the manager of my local dealership today about accessories and mods, radiator guards in particular.

He stated that adding 3rd party radiator/cooler guards would void the warranty as it would affect the airflow through the rad & cooler!?

Ask him to get you a BMW one ;)

Back
Top Bottom