Unlock code for Lifetime Maps

King Rat

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Does anyone know where you get the unlock code from after you have bought Lifetime Maps please?

I have been on to Garmin, because despite the efforts of various folks on here, the process is just far to complex for me to complete. The chap there has managed to get UK Ireland section of my European Lifetime Maps back onto the Zumo for me - it took three phone calls to get it to actually work though. They are back in and working now, thankfully.

Trying to get the rest of Europe onto the computer is the next stage, using Mapinstall, which I have managed to install onto the computer (easier than I thought). I was following the instructions and it says, even though I am in My Garmin page, it needs the unlock code. I know I have lifetime maps, but I have no idea where this code is. I didn't know I had one - and doesn't ask me for the code when it sends the maps to the Zumo (which is why I don't know about it).

I think I shall just have to wait until tomorrow and phone Garmin again, and be talked through it. Am I the only one who doesn't think like computer things work - it all seems so complicated to me. Then having been told how to do something, there is no way I can remember how to do it again, I think because I have no comprehension of what I am actually doing, I am just doing as I am told, with no understanding of the process. If someone told me to do something that was going to make my computer explode, I would follow the instructions blindly, simply because I wouldn't know otherwise. I feel so isolated, I am the same with mobile phones, I can't work them either.:confused:

Does anyone know where you get the unlock code from after you have bought Lifetime Maps please?

I have been on to Garmin, because despite the efforts of various folks on here, the process is just far to complex for me to complete. The chap there has managed to get UK Ireland section of my European Lifetime Maps back onto the Zumo for me - it took three phone calls to get it to actually work though. They are back in and working now, thankfully.

Trying to get the rest of Europe onto the computer is the next stage, using Mapinstall, which I have managed to install onto the computer (easier than I thought). I was following the instructions and it says, even though I am in My Garmin page, it needs the unlock code. I know I have lifetime maps, but I have no idea where this code is. I didn't know I had one - and doesn't ask me for the code when it sends the maps to the Zumo (which is why I don't know about it).

I think I shall just have to wait until tomorrow and phone Garmin again, and be talked through it. Am I the only one who doesn't think like computer things work - it all seems so complicated to me. Then having been told how to do something, there is no way I can remember how to do it again, I think because I have no comprehension of what I am actually doing, I am just doing as I am told, with no understanding of the process. If someone told me to do something that was going to make my computer explode, I would follow the instructions blindly, simply because I wouldn't know otherwise. I feel so isolated, I am the same with mobile phones, I can't work them either.:confused:
You really are a fekkwit. So am I. Your story gives me that deja vu feeling. I have forgotten everything "they" took me through on the phone, other than at the 11th hour......"you have a what sized SD card fitted? Oh no, that's too big, it wont work with that in" Fekk knows what size it was, but they were right.

Good luck in your adventure.

Presumably you have registered your device to give you access to map updates? If you have done this and your maps on the computer say they are locked then I suspect it is Garmin at fault. I updated our maps a few weeks ago and the result was all my Garmin maps were locked. I tried downloading again and got North America maps! I rang Garmin and they eventually gave me a code to unlock the latest maps. I then downloaded again and all maps were unlocked. We had a guest here who had downloaded the latest maps at about the same time, he had ended up with Europe but without the UK. Logging into his Garmin account here and downloading again solved the problem.

It looks to me as if Garmin had issues with the whole updating process which caused these errors. Maybe they still have?

John

KIng Rat
Garmin's map update process is a black art and disgracefully complicated in this day and age - so dont beat yourself up!

Am I correct in saying that you have your GPS unit, maps & lifetime subs. registered with Garmin?

If not do that first.

If you have you can log into your 'MyGarmin' account and view the relevant map unlock codes.

You will need to visit the 'My maps' section & then click on'Installed maps' where you will be able to see the unlock codes listed for all your maps and the date they were unlocked.

This all assumes that you have an account with the maps & the unit registered!

Best of luck and let us all know how you get on

Thaks for your help guys - or attempts at help.

Sit rep: My Zumo 550, GPSMap78s, Virb Elite are all registered on My Garmin. Presumably the Lifetime maps I bought are as well.

Next problem.....I can't access My garmin, despite the fact that the computer was set to remember my Log In (as it is for this site, otherwise I would never be able to get back in again! :blast ) The system has locked me out and apparently has changed my password as well - it thought my attempts to get in were someone trying to hack in.....I will see if I can get an hour in the morning to phone Garmin help desk, yet again.

Thanks for letting me know about the garmin glitches though - it does make me feel somewhat better.

Back
Top Bottom