ali panniers OR top box?

poshbuilder

Reaction score
Hi All

Am planning a few camping trips within the UK and Europe and can't decide whether on a tight budget it would be better to invest in some ali panniers for the GSA OR a 42lt Givi top box? As I can't afford both at present, it's a toss up between the two. (To make the decision more difficult, I've already got the pannier racks fitted to the bike) I mostly ride solo and tend not to carry masses of kit so the top box option might be ok especially for everyday use at home. BUT I don't want to miss out on the benefits of larger panniers, lower centre of gravity, more versatility etc etc. Confused.

Any thoughts/advice would be greatly welcomed

Top box is great for everyday use but not if it is going to get heavy. If I was on a budget I would get panniers and some kind of soft bag to strap on the rack. Or since your camping strap the tent and stuff there.

Good advice and reassuring as I've just parted company with a wedge and gone for panniers! I think it's the better combination at the moment. Thanks for your suggestion

A 1200.?

A set of metalmules at £500 on sale here- you'd resell at that price after another 5yrs' use

Al

I added panniers (only) to both my previous F800GS and the current R1200GSA. I figured this gave a little more flexibility on camping trips as I could throw all my camping stuff into one large roll-top bag and strap it on the back seat. So far this has worked out OK for me. I leave the panniers on all the time; the bike is my main transport so I use it for shopping etc and have now gotten used to filtering with panniers (carefully...).

I'd say the panniers give you more options: you can strap a bag on top of each, or one large bag across the lot - whereas the top box might limit you more - but I've never had one so may be wrong!

Yes panniers are the best option for camping. MANDP usually have a cheapo top box for £49 including quick release base plate. Sometime on offer at £19. That's what I payed for mine in December 2013. Not bad for a box that holds 2 helmets. Jjh

When you remove the rear seat you have a nice area right across the back for a waterproof roll bag and with some of the weight low down in the panniers it must be the best option.

Thanks everyone for the advice. Bought a set and have so far managed to get everything into both easily with a dry bag for clothes etc. as suggested. Seems to work nicely and not top heavy as I thought it might be with the top box alternative. Good advice all round ta!

Back
Top Bottom