CaJa Sahel : Tourenkoffer :

Fanum said:
And

Fair enough....but why???

It might be fun to poke old Civil, and from time to time he might have even deserved it, but it's bollox to just pop up and say 'waaahhhh I don't like them!!!'

As Roger says, they look no worse than any other panniers out there, and if they're well made, I can't see what there is to dislike TBH...so have your own opinions, but maybe justify them and explain why???

There are eight main reasons I do not fancy these panniers. You will have seen my post regarding the (Kitchen draw handles).
I personally think they let the boxes down. I will however agree that they do look very sturdily made.

I am not intending to "poke" Mr.Civil. That is a viciouse rumour and I want you to publicy rescind that innuendo!:D

Fair play to you Civil, ignore the negative comments, from what I see here the boxes look excellent. They seem to compare very favourably with the competition, both in terms of function and price. I'll certainly keep you in mind if I ever save up enough cash.

Keep up the good work and I hope you get plenty of buyers.

You ask !. I deliver !.

Theres been a few askin about Flat Lids.
Here they are

Attachments

• flat lid 1.jpg
    flat lid 1.jpg
    61.9 KB · Views: 1,257
The Locks

I know "Fort Knox " its not , But its not supposed to be.
Gonnie have this set powder coated inside "Document Compartment" as well , so it should look really well , And be an Excellent fit. To Date these are the Most expensive Panniers i have made. The inner lid is 3MM Aluminum.

Attachments

• false bottom 4.jpg
    false bottom 4.jpg
    61.8 KB · Views: 1,475
I much prefer the look of those flat lids Civil....and I'd imagine they're far more practical for strapping stuff to.

Like the documents compartment, but surely that would be perfect in the most obvious place, ie the lid???

More obvious to people looking for documents perhaps, but then if they were already in the pannier rooting about I can't see it'd make a huge difference, and getting to your documents if they were under all the dirty pants and soggy tents would be a PITA.

I've used the plastic compartment in the top of my Givi topbox for that purpose for ages.......works a treat :)

Fort Knox

The lid was the initial thought , and god knows it would have
be easier , and less time , hence cheaper.
But if you think about this one , its in the ideal spot.
I always say, if somone is going to steal something , usually
they are going to succeed , with the initail pannier design , i have
kept the latches simple , for that very reason , if they are going
to try to get in ,, chances are they will. To that end. You will still
be able to use your pannier.
This is all about time. To get into the Document compartment is going to take a Lot of time. Time the Oppurtunist does not have.
This wee compartment would not be easy to get into. The fit
of the Actual lid itself means you have to open both locks before
it will lift. Its 3MM alloy so there wouldnt be any handy, easy, way
of accessing it. The wee locks are not abus , but they are strong. This is
a customers suggestion , This is what he wants.
I sought his permission to use the photos on here.
Obviously he,s happy , and so am.
Which would be easier , take the Panniers Off altogether or
Mess about with the Compartment. ?.
Either way , its going to take too much time.
I think this is a winner.
But do appreciate constructive critisims or another angle.

CaJa Sahel : Tourenkoffer extra security

I have asked The Civil One to make these panniers, He has at every stage been absolutly spot on. I have looked very closly at all of the other options, the price has not been an issue although Civil is well under the other quotes. I am about to go on a 3 month trip and security to me is an issue. I therefore asked if he could make a secure compartment for documents ect. I have 30 yrs. experience in the security industry and although I am not brilliant with computors I know about structural security. The secure compartment located in the bottom of the pannier is the best option for the following reason. There is no leverage for a thief to gain access, he/she will need two instruments to lift the locking lid. This will take time which your average shit dosn't wish to use. You can always leave some cheap leggings or similar over the lid anyway hiding its presence. In effect the compartment is as secure as any other vehcle, car boot ect. If the compartment had been in the lid which has been mentioned it would be of no use because once you have gained access ie. removed the lid you already have the secure compartment. I think this system is the most secure by far.

Bits "N" Bobs Lid

A Customer wanted a lid just to Carry bits n Bobs ,
wee handy items.
Heres the lids just after welding and the Finished product

Attachments

• 2 inch lid.jpg
    2 inch lid.jpg
    62.3 KB · Views: 1,402
Ready to roll

you can see a set with the std.Lid in the backround above

Attachments

• 2 inch box complete side.jpg
    2 inch box complete side.jpg
    60.2 KB · Views: 1,387
Re: Ready to roll

the civil one said:
you can see a set with the std.Lid in the backround above

That's mine, that is!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hey, I know those bikes :D! Bart bought his CajaSahel kit after mailing with me (he wanted my TT panniers but I pursuaded him to buy new ones, preferably yours. And so he did. The other bike is DanielGS`s bike with TT panniers. Bart still has to show me the panniers in person but as he is in Iceland now, it`ll take some time. Yet another happy customer, I`m sure, Civil.

Back
Top Bottom