Auto train from Paris to Briancon

what are you referring to when you say insurance, the extra i was talking about at bercy was if any damage or loss of items attached to the bike occurred, this cost me at bercy circa 20euro for around 3000 euro extra cover, hope this helps.

with reference to ease you could do tgv to Nice or avignon and bikes could go overnight to either destination, i think bike to avignon is 99euro and to nice is 120euro or thats what it was last year tgv would be cheap as well.

Thanks Lee (& Smogbob) yeah i tried to fill out insurance price on line to get an idea of total cost passenger bike & insurance but the web page was too complicated for my peanut brain so gave up, will decide to pay insurance at the station.
I'm going to put it to my mates, now i know a rough price I think we will give it a try.
Good to know its probably better to TGV down and get a cheap hotel rather than sleep on the overnight train.

My only concerns are how do you know where to collect the bikes & what if they fail to arrive :(

My only concerns are how do you know where to collect the bikes & what if they fail to arrive

If I were you, I’d delegate the investigation into those two worries to your friends. You’ve done enough.

Full instructions for collecting bikes come on booking and are also on the Autotrain website. There are a few reasonable hotels around Paris Bercy. Be warned it is in the centre of Paris. Traffic and navigation are character building. I have not heard of bikes not arriving. I am sure it happens. Have a plan B. Boullabaise in Marseille is worth pushing the boat out for.

Full instructions for collecting bikes come on booking and are also on the Autotrain website. There are a few reasonable hotels around Paris Bercy. Be warned it is in the centre of Paris. Traffic and navigation are character building. I have not heard of bikes not arriving. I am sure it happens. Have a plan B. Boullabaise in Marseille is worth pushing the boat out for.

Ah nice one Chris, didn't think it would be difficult.:) Yeah i have ridden in Paris before the traffic is challenging :D will check out Bollabaise

Sound advice Wapping I will pass the buck to them :D.

Definitely recommend the Autotrain and TGV option from Paris.

I used it in June to take me and the bike to Nice. Rode from Norwich to Paris on the Saturday morning, left the bike at Bercy station with everything off the bike that wasn't locked on/secure. There was even a courtesy car giving lifts to Gare de Lyon, caught the TGV and was walking along the prom in Nice by the evening. Cheap hotel near to the train station and back to the station on Sunday lunchtime (you can't collect the bike/vehicle until 1pm). The bike was all ready to go in a parking bay. The whole process was easy.

It saved a long slog on the autoroute and was no more expensive than riding down to Nice. Rode back to Calais via the RDGA. Would definitely use the auto train again.

There’s a lot to be said for shipping a vehicle to a destination and catching up with it by train or plane. Providing the pick-up and drop-off points work, then do it.

It’s odd that bods sometimes deride shipping a bike anywhere but think nothing of catching a ferry to Spain.

it really could not be easier, i would do it this way as Paris is costly to stay in.

1 book tickets for autotrain and tgv, for best price ensure early booking and go mid week tues or wed its cheaper, make sure they are same day (i would) if thats the way you are doing it.

2 Ride to paris bercy and drop bike off at bercy station, walk the 500 yards to Gar de lyon station if traveling same day (i would), get the right train to chosen destination .

3 arrive at chosen destination and walk or taxi to your pre booked hotel (dependant on distance) ensure hotel is reasonably close to the autotrain station it will be different (not same platform or may not even be the same station) to where the tgv dropped you off.

4 Sleep the night sound in the knowledge that your bike will be there at the autotrain station around 9.30 am to 1.00pm (depending on destination) the next day, go and collect your steed via taxi or shankses pony or whatever suits.

5 carry on journey to where ever.

6 if an idiot like me can sort it anyone can.

Does not seem to solve much for me, Calais to Paris is about 200 miles, plus the aggro of getting into the centre of Paris, dropping off bike, getting a train.

The North end of the Morvan is only about 30 miles further and I can be in Troyes (or in the countryside nearby) in the same time as central Paris, from there it is a very pleasant day and a bits ride to the Alps.

Now if I could get on a train with my bike at or near Calais I would be excited.

damage

does anyone have any concerns about leaving their bike with someone unknown to shift it onto and off the train, being a big lump of bike with luggage.

has anyone had any damage caused.

thinking of this option to nice to save time and bootocks

thanks

Having watched bods struggle to pull / lift their bikes onto and off their stands and / or push them about, no.

If it worries you, don’t do it.

does anyone have any concerns about leaving their bike with someone unknown to shift it onto and off the train, being a big lump of bike with luggage.

has anyone had any damage caused.

thinking of this option to nice to save time and bootocks

thanks

Having watched them do it, I have more confidence in them than I do the average rider. It's their day job, they do it hundreds and hundreds of times a week and if the bikes are damaged, they have insurance (as all bikes are inspected and signed for before the bike is handed over). There was all sorts of expensive, 2-wheel exotica being handed over when I dropped off my fully-loaded GSA and the bloke that rode it away made it look like he was riding a 125 through traffic.

Sounds good, think this is definitely an option, I do a lot of ferry crossings and it ranges from tie down your own to staff not knowing how to so always wary.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom