Another take on bar vibes

Today the odo passed 550 miles and the bike went like the wind, fast and flowing. The vibes seem to be abating but I will wait untill after the first service before making a judgement.

They are definetly present 4500 to 5000 rpm but I now have to 'look' for them.....the sheer verve of the bike takes my attention.

I think when I can pass 7000 rpm it may vibe or it may not. Will it vibe is the question.

Fun , fast and furious bike.

You can go up to 9000 when running it in! I kept bouncing mine off the limiter for the first 600 miles!:D

You can go up to 9000 when running it in! I kept bouncing mine off the limiter for the first 600 miles!:D
Nutty the book says 7000rpm for 300m and then 9000rpm for 300m obviously then a service and away you go.

What a piece of kit though, takes a bit of getting your head round the way it revs after having twins for a few years, but jeez it's got some go, can't wait to get the service done, I've done 200 today and the gearbox is really sweet, shame I've got to work the rest of the week but will be going on the bike and taking the long way home

Terry

It's a bit strange reading how all you owners of the XR are relishing revving the arse of your bikes because before I tried and bought a GS LC, I had a Yamaha Fazer 1000 2nd generation for 5 years which is a similar sort of bike. Obviously not as technologically advanced but a rev monster all the same. It could do an indicated 80 mph in first gear and I did a timed standing 1/4 mile in 10.9 seconds at Elvington once.

Went touring the Continent on it quite a few times and intended to keep it "forever". That was until I tried the GS with it's less frantic engine and huge torque. It made me realise that I don't actually want to rev the nuts off a bike and that I prefer the lazy but still pokey engine of the GS.

I haven't tried an XR yet but have a feeling it will be out of the same mold as the Fazer. It would be interesting to see, if you could only run, either an XR or a GS which you would choose. I suppose it would depend on what you want out of a bike and where you ride it, but for me, I don't think I would go back to a bike like the Fazer although it's engine smoothness and lack of the "bolts in a bucket noise"would be nice to have in the boxer.

I wonder if all you new owners will eventually tire of it's highly strung nature.

N
It's a bit strange reading how all you owners of the XR are relishing revving the arse of your bikes because before I tried and bought a GS LC, I had a Yamaha Fazer 1000 2nd generation for 5 years which is a similar sort of bike. Obviously not as technologically advanced but a rev monster all the same. It could do an indicated 80 mph in first gear and I did a timed standing 1/4 mile in 10.9 seconds at Elvington once.

Went touring the Continent on it quite a few times and intended to keep it "forever". That was until I tried the GS with it's less frantic engine and huge torque. It made me realise that I don't actually want to rev the nuts off a bike and that I prefer the lazy but still pokey engine of the GS.

I haven't tried an XR yet but have a feeling it will be out of the same mold as the Fazer. It would be interesting to see, if you could only run, either an XR or a GS which you would choose. I suppose it would depend on what you want out of a bike and where you ride it, but for me, I don't think I would go back to a bike like the Fazer although it's engine smoothness and lack of the "bolts in a bucket noise"would be nice to have in the boxer.

I wonder if all you new owners will eventually tire of it's highly strung nature.

Maybe but what I have noticed so far is that the XR pulls in top gear from hardly any revs all the way through, especially useful when blipping through traffic on the A roads. On the GS I found I had to use the gears more. But what I think most people will agree on is the suspension on the GS is like riding on air in comparison.
Hey we all like a change now and then and I've had twins for the past 4 bikes 2 of them were GS LC.

First thoughts when I initially set off on the XR was I want my GS back, but then you get in to it and it's a blinding bit of kit. Which I think I shall be very happy with. Would I have another GS yes definitely, would I recommend the XR or maybe have another yes definitely. They are two very different bikes with similarities with one being better than the other, at certain things and vice versa.

Terry

The torque figures are not hugely different 125 NM for the GS and 112 for the XR but the XR is much lighter and pulls like a train from low down the revs right up to red line so do not make the mistake of thinking that the XR is all wizz and no pull ! It pulls harder from lower revs than my GS or at least felt like it does.

Yes it comes alive ( by alive I mean mental) at 7k but even under that it still astonishes in comparison to the GS

Oops!:green gri:p

Got any pictures of the bike?

97d103e2973bd31ad4365b2c23da7230.jpg

Hi Nutty only got one with me on it but will post some later

Terry

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

The torque figures are not hugely different 125 NM for the GS and 112 for the XR but the XR is much lighter and pulls like a train from low down the revs right up to red line so do not make the mistake of thinking that the XR is all wizz and no pull ! It pulls harder from lower revs than my GS or at least felt like it does.

Yes it comes alive ( by alive I mean mental) at 7k but even under that it still astonishes in comparison to the GS

I kinda agree .... just that the GS has grunt but in a civilised way.....the fact that the XR CAN BE IN 6TH and still pull from very low revs seems to indicate it has great fuelling and torque. Above 7000 revs, mental it is, below 7000 revs it surges with ease.

Today the odo passed 550 miles and the bike went like the wind, fast and flowing. The vibes seem to be abating but I will wait untill after the first service before making a judgement.

They are definetly present 4500 to 5000 rpm but I now have to 'look' for them.....the sheer verve of the bike takes my attention.

I think when I can pass 7000 rpm it may vibe or it may not. Will it vibe is the question.

Fun , fast and furious bike.
I'm finding very similar results at 450 miles. Main vibration is under heavy braking. Checked out by Linds to confirm warped front discs. To be renewed at 600 mile service. I'm certainly no demon on the brakes either.

N
The only similarity is the engine size. The bikes couldn't be more different.

Nice bike, shame about the luggage :aidan

See above!:D You can get colour coded luggage.:thumb

You can only get red panniers and box cover not white.
Terry

Apparently BMW's attitude, quote, "it is what it is".......my interpretation, we know it has vibes and that's why we put some rubber stuff under the bars, so lump it or like it!

I'd be interested to see one of these bikes on a Dyno and see if the stock mapping contributes to the vibes .

Back
Top Bottom