Another take on bar vibes

roundincircles

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Today I travelled 200 miles and the bar vibes were not a problem and seem to be getting less apparent as the miles accumalate.

They occur from 5000 rpm to 5500 rpm and , oddly ,sometimes can reach 6000 rpm. WHAT i DID NOTICE was gripping close to the inner bar had little vibes but in the middle and outer grip the vibes were noticeable. I wonder if heavy bar ends would help? In ther words the vibes grow along the outer lenght of the grip!

For me it's not a problem if 200 miles is OK but I can understand if others have tender danny's and suffer angst.

It's a missile of a bike even when running in.

How does it compare to your DVT on the whole bike package, is one better then the other !

I'm a little worried with the XR, the one I had in Europe last week (BMW germany motorrad's own bike) was horrendous the vibes were in the bars and pegs, suspension rock hard

My return leg back to the UK today I did this in one hit on the gs and not a vibe and suspension is Lush and would expect to do the same on the XR but I'd like to be able to feel my hands n fingers.
7158cedb314cf1b6fd6b38de5725b51f.jpg

My SXR has no vibes in the pegs or mirrors but the high frequency in the bars between 5000 rpm and 5500 rpm but sometimes up tp 6000 rpm. Subjectively I think the vibes are easing off as the miles accumalate but need another 500 miles or so to judge.

The DVT is plusher and better balanced. That's due for a throttle update to deal with throttle lag in the midrange. At this stage all I would say is the DVT is the better long distance two up tourer because of the more compliant ride and lower rev cruising speed. The 'L' twin has low frequency vibes which irritates some but to me is a character trait of 'L' twins.

I do think the SXR is more ballistic but that's a guess.

Not ridden one yet, so can't really say what is causing it, but speaking to my local dealer they think that if you have the issue then heavier bar end weights would most likely improve it

Pick mine up on Monday 27th July which will be the first time I would have rode one,

Terry

On the 250 Klm demo I rode last week the vibes where not just in the bars but in the seat as well. I could feel them from 4500-6000.

I did not find the speed ballistic but rather a little strained when asked to propel my 120 Kg off the line. Are all XRs factory power limited under 1000 Klm?

Suspension seemed firm in both settings but overall the chassis, ESA and seat made for a ride similar to but not exceeding the comfort of a 14 Skyhook equipped Multistrada.

Ll
On the 250 Klm demo I rode last week the vibes where not just in the bars but in the seat as well. I could feel them from 4500-6000.

I did not find the speed ballistic but rather a little strained when asked to propel my 120 Kg off the line. Are all XRs factory power limited under 1000 Klm?
Suspension seemed firm in both settings but overall the chassis, ESA and seat made for a ride similar to but not exceeding the comfort of a 14 Skyhook equipped Multistrada.

fuck me 120kg!

Ll

fuck me 120kg!

I was in the UK last month, plenty of big units over there too :D

I do note that the XR has about the same 240Kg rider and load capacity as the GS so 120 KG should be no issue.

. Are all XRs factory power limited under 1000 Klm?

Yes they are - I had the same issue on a test ride.
I asked my dealer and they confirmed restriction is removed at 1st service.

Yes, you are correct, I am 8' 5" in diameter!

:bounce1

Ha ha ha, good on ya.
Always good to have a sense of humour on oneself and not take things so seriously.
How's sunny Sydney, I grew up in Sydney and had a new 1987 Suzuki GSXR1100 and rode like a madman at 22 years old.

Ha ha ha, good on ya.
Always good to have a sense of humour on oneself and not take things so seriously.
How's sunny Sydney, I grew up in Sydney and had a new 1987 Suzuki GSXR1100 and rode like a madman at 22 years old.

Absolutely.

Sydney is generally pretty good, it is the height of winter here as I sit in my shed at 14 deg C at 2 pm, temperature is quite ok with a few layers on, doors and windows open.

It has been raining quite a lot this winter though and proper "the gods are pissed off" man's rain, hours of hail and full on rain up to 50-100 mm in some parts of Sydney, so flash flooding particularly in the older inner parts of town where I am. If you know King Street, Newtown, well they were snowboarding down that after the whole of Sydney was covered white in a blanket of persistent hail. The heavy rain has been consistent every few weeks or so over the past 3-4 months.

I ride every day irrespective of the weather (obviously not in hail though) so I get to see it first hand.

Today the odo passed 550 miles and the bike went like the wind, fast and flowing. The vibes seem to be abating but I will wait untill after the first service before making a judgement.

They are definetly present 4500 to 5000 rpm but I now have to 'look' for them.....the sheer verve of the bike takes my attention.

I think when I can pass 7000 rpm it may vibe or it may not. Will it vibe is the question.

Fun , fast and furious bike.

Back
Top Bottom