Stalling issues

Douglas850

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Hi guys, i new on here and i'm after some help:bow

I own a F650gs twin and recently decided to do a small service on my bike before going on a trip to Fort william.

Oil and filter changed. Air filter replaced and while i'm under the covers new plugs fitted.

Everything back together and i let the engine tick over while i put my tools away. Ready for work the following morning, or so i thought!

On my way to stopping at traffic lights the bike just cut out. Throttle rolled off front brake applied clutch in etc etc, all text book stuff. Engine had been revving around 3k before i started to slow down. Mmmhh i thought, never mind these things happen. But its happened most days since and its now getting to be a real PITA!

I've taken the bike to bits again to check everything is as it should be, but nothing is amiss.

I've even tried resetting the throttle by rolling it on and off slowly 3 times with the ignition on, but to no avail.

Clutching at straws now, but i ordered a service kit from the internet and i'm not sure if the plugs could be different, old ones in the bin, before you ask:blast Could it just be wrong plugs? I've never had this problem with any otherof my Beemers so i'm a little baffled. :confused:

Any help would be much apprciated, my thanks in advance:thumb2

William

Presumably you bought plugs that were specified for your model, regardless of what was removed and binned. Worth checking again, I feel, but it would seem more likely you dislodged something when working on the plugs. Is it possible there is a chafed wire somewhere that is earthing out after a while ?

stalling

Cant be sure about plugs but they were specified for my bike, i use well known well respected on line supplier, so that should be fine but i am ordering another set, just to be sure.

As for the wire issue, i have read somewhere about that so i intend to check further. Also i am going to check battery is still ok and not slowly dyeing on me, again something else i read somewhere.

At the present time i'm laid low by a bug myself so when i feel better i intend to get under the covers to find out

Cheers:beerjug:

Search for "Idle Actuator".

There are a couple of vacuum hoses running from the throttle bodies to the idle actuator up near the air-filter. Check the hoses are correctlly fitted and are not kinked. Also it may be worth removing the valve and giving it a clean.

You can do a reset of the valve using a GS911 otherwise I think it resets after disconecting the battery. You can hear it setting when you turn the ignition back on. The whirring is near where the air filter goes.

Hi William .... welcome to UKGSer :thumb

Did you drop the plugs down the hole, or lower them down gently. If you dropped them down you could have closed the plug gaps up. Correct plugs are NGK R DCPR8E

Two rubber tubes rear of air box down to inlet manifold often get forgotten to be re-connected. The T shaped nipple they go to can get broken off if you're hamfisted :eek:

Connections to the injectors and to the top of the spark plug coils? Otherwise all wires reconnected?

:beerjug:

Hi Micky.

Plugs lowered ever so gently into place, no chance of closing the gap doing that. Connections to the injectors back in place too. I shall check on the rubber hoses when i get the covers off, you never know.

Thanks Mike

Back
Top Bottom