07RT warped disc questions (for those who have sorted the prob)

Wrigsby1

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
My 07 RT has developed a warped front disc which is a bit of a PIA as they are still in good nick... I have had the bike since last Dec and the bike was fine for a while... I have read into the problem of the original discs being solidly mounted on the wheel but the mounting points being a bit piss poor for true...

The bike is showing history for a front wheel replacement and I though it had been damaged or something but now in the 2+2=4 dept I realise it may have been due to the disc issue...

So which ones as replacements?

Hekkanes from Sherlocks are a good price but they don't look "floating" as per the recommended way to try to cure the problem...

The original Brembo's are pricey and may do the same again...

EBC's from M/Works look "floating" but are they designed as a bolt on fit and be floating...? Also this means EBC pads which I have tried to avoid...

Any advice gratefully received... The bike is used all year and in all weather... Sometimes quick, sometimes slow... I am not bothered about HH pads as they can be a bit harsh on discs and don't have great feel when cold ie winter and rain...

Cheers:thumb

I'd go for the Hekkanes from Sherlocks, but shim them as necessary to get them running absolutely dead true. You need a dial gauge and patience.

May be take it to a machine shop, ask them to check for flatness on a surface plate with slips and dail gauge

May be take it to a machine shop, ask them to check for flatness on a surface plate with slips and dail gauge
I did consider having a piece of glass cut with a hole in the middle (to fit over the hub) to try and level up the disc mounting bosses but sold the bike before trying it.

Oh, may be worth checking both discs for exactly where the problem is. I measured up both my discs with a digital micrometer and made a graph (below). When my original warped discs were replaced by a BMW Mechanic he left just one disc screw not fully screwed down, but glued in. And that was where my disc problems stemmed from. The loose disc in just that one point caused very uneven wear to occur (see graph. The loose screw was a position 8 front left side. Right side was fine.

Attachments

• disc_wear_graph.jpg
    disc_wear_graph.jpg
    32.4 KB · Views: 142
Might of slod you a slight pup... I checked the discs and the disc is direct to the wheel but the bolts and bobbins have a wavu washer to make them "semi floating" I suppose...? It's either as was or was what things changed to when they fitted the new wheel...

Hmmm

BMW compensated for inaccuracies in the mounting bosses by using rubber and wavey washer mounts, allowing the discs to 'float'. The second set on my bike were this type, but the left disc was wrecked as above because it wasn't secured properly. Just out of curiosity, check all the mounting screws are fully down. I could easily get my thumb nail under the head of one of the button head screws. They are glued, so checking them with a Torx key woun't help.

Back
Top Bottom