A tale of three bearings!

harry the cat

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
The picture quality's not great but I though I'd share this one of three bearings replaced a few days ago.

They're from Magnet's F800GS, 3 years old, 32k miles, well maintained, but ridden all year round in all weathers.

The one on the left is from the nearside of the wheel hub and failed fairly comprehensively just over a week ago. It would appear moisture got behind the bearing seal. The one in the middle is from the offside of the hub, is pretty clean, and would probably go another 30k miles. The one on the right is the one that sits behind the sprocket carrier and is showing signs of corrosion on the face despite inspection and re-greasing at tyre changes.

She does occasionally jet wash the bike after muddy excursion but avoids the relevant area so I'm assuming it's just the riding in all weathers and seasons that contributes to the condition of the 'exposed' bearings. The bearings are SKF so they're apparently as good as any others you can currently get, although there are arguments as to whether the bearings are as good as they were.

We were lucky because if the bearing had failed next week we'd have been in the Alps and it would have been fairly inconvenient.

So the thought is that, given they aren't a service inspection or replacement item on the BMW schedule (it would appear only the steering head bearing is checked at major services for obvious reasons) what's best to do? For there sake of £30 for a set of three bearings (or £20 for the front) I think there's an argument for changing them on a preventive basis but at what mileage? My own bike is an 800GSA with 12k on and one of the bearings is showing some sign of corrosion already.

Attachments

• Bearing.jpg
    Bearing.jpg
    43.1 KB · Views: 369
Preventative replacement - Well it depends on usage, based on the mileage?

A trail/enduro bike used in all conditions would need them more regularly than a road bike

Some brands use then more often, take KTM dirtbikes you have to replace them very frequently - every 2-3 months, if you read some sales ads and know some owners, why I dunno?

It's a feature on KTM's that they go through bearings on wheels/linkage/swingarms quicker than chains and sprockets

Jap Trail and Enduro bikes go far longer on bearing replacement

If it was me, I would check the bearings often on the F8GS and then maybe replace the seals more often, as they're cheap and keep water/crud out

Has Micky had the same?

Maybe he has a theory?

Perhaps it's the pressure washer?

That said, I pressure wash all my bikes and have done so for 20 years

Maybe some of the F8GS parts have been built down to a price?

I change the bearings on my KTM 690 every 6 months, it does have a hard life, however I've never had one that looked like it needed changing. On my road bike I change them every time I change the tyre, again never have they looked liked they need changing. Overkill?? maybe, but it's better than having one fail when your miles from home / garage - :D

Has Micky had the same?

Maybe he has a theory?

Maybe some of the F8GS parts have been built down to a price?

As you well know nothing ever goes wrong with Micky's bike, ever!:rolleyes:

He also has a theory about everything but I'll let him expound it.

BMW cut corners on quality? Surely not:D

I change the bearings on my KTM 690 every 6 months, it does have a hard life, however I've never had one that looked like it needed changing. On my road bike I change them every time I change the tyre, again never have they looked liked they need changing. Overkill?? maybe, but it's better than having one fail when your miles from home / garage - :D

Overkill maybe but then again prevention is often better than cure:D

So the thought is that, given they aren't a service inspection or replacement item on the BMW schedule (it would appear only the steering head bearing is checked at major services for obvious reasons)

what's best to do?

Hmmmmm, Dilema !!!!!!

I think the best bet would be to get a 1200 GSA - 2013 Twin Cam - fully sorted - nowt ever goes wrong, motorcycle. :beerjug:

The picture quality's not great but I though I'd share this one of three bearings replaced a few days ago.

They're from Magnet's F800GS, 3 years old, 32k miles, well maintained, but ridden all year round in all weathers.

The one on the left is from the nearside of the wheel hub and failed fairly comprehensively just over a week ago. It would appear moisture got behind the bearing seal. The one in the middle is from the offside of the hub, is pretty clean, and would probably go another 30k miles. The one on the right is the one that sits behind the sprocket carrier and is showing signs of corrosion on the face despite inspection and re-greasing at tyre changes.

She does occasionally jet wash the bike after muddy excursion but avoids the relevant area so I'm assuming it's just the riding in all weathers and seasons that contributes to the condition of the 'exposed' bearings. The bearings are SKF so they're apparently as good as any others you can currently get, although there are arguments as to whether the bearings are as good as they were.

We were lucky because if the bearing had failed next week we'd have been in the Alps and it would have been fairly inconvenient.

So the thought is that, given they aren't a service inspection or replacement item on the BMW schedule (it would appear only the steering head bearing is checked at major services for obvious reasons) what's best to do? For there sake of £30 for a set of three bearings (or £20 for the front) I think there's an argument for changing them on a preventive basis but at what mileage? My own bike is an 800GSA with 12k on and one of the bearings is showing some sign of corrosion already.

What make of bearings were they, BMW do have a bit of a reputation for using some cheap far eastern components (note I am not referring to Japanese bearings), I would assume if they were decent quality bearings they would last much longer unless there was a faux pas like Yamaha managed with the XT350's and used single shielded bearings instead of double ones

What make of bearings were they, BMW do have a bit of a reputation for using some cheap far eastern components (note I am not referring to Japanese bearings), I would assume if they were decent quality bearings they would last much longer unless there was a faux pas like Yamaha managed with the XT350's and used single shielded bearings instead of double ones

Read the original post properly?:D

Back
Top Bottom