R1150GS Alternator Options

buellzebub

Maximum Mayhem
UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
In an attempt to save weight and space on this year's trip to France I didn't bring any mains chargers for phone, intercoms, camera etc.; relying on the bike to charge things. However, 3rd day in and the battery was dead flat!
What higher output alternators will fit a '99 R1150GS, single spark, non ABS (it also has an 32l adventure tank fitted, don't know if that gives any extra clearance)?
Thanks 👍

Sent from my D5803 using Tapatalk

It will probably be fitted with the smaller denso alternator (usually on non abs , non heated grip bikes) the larger capacity Bosch one (fitted to bikes with heated grips and ABS) is a straight swap .

Did the same swap on my 1999 1150 when I fitted heated grip (many moons ago)

It is hard to imagine your phones, camera's and such could ever overload your alternator. It seems you need to look for another cause. Did the battery go dead while riding? Or did it go bad while you were charging things overnight.

It is hard to imagine your phones, camera's and such could ever overload your alternator. It seems you need to look for another cause. Did the battery go dead while riding? Or did it go bad while you were charging things overnight.
Battery was about 6 or 7 years old, didn't charge anything over night and didn't run engine for one day only. Just very surprised that it should have died. It does have an alarm/immobiliser fitted (I know, they're the work of the devil!)

Ps. I've got one of Paul's (Nomad) charge led indicators fitted and it's ok/green while running.

Battery was about 6 or 7 years old, didn't charge anything over night and didn't run engine for one day only. Just very surprised that it should have died. It does have an alarm/immobiliser fitted (I know, they're the work of the devil!)

And at Home you keep it on an optimate don't you ??

And at Home you keep it on an optimate don't you ??
No, it's kept on a BMW trickle charger (oem BMW/Exide AGM battery. I fully appreciate it was a relatively old battery, but it was always kept maintained. I would just like to avoid a repeat performance. I'm now thinking of twin batteries and a split charge system👍

6 or 7 year old battery? Buy a new one - that's your problem. Charging electrical items takes next to no power...

I replaced my 8 year old Odyssey earlier this year as I felt that it had served well and I didn't want to get caught out. The bike had a Datatool alarm fitted which I removed as they are a total pain when they malfunction and can also take a lot out of a battery, I've kept the bike on an Optimate as did the previous owner and I don't think that the battery would have survived so long otherwise!
Replaced it with a Motobatt Gel which is also plugged into the Optimate 4 so I'm hoping that it's also going to give me similar reliability :rolleyes:

You shouldn't need twin batteries but it is an option if you really need a separate cell for a satellite dish or something :D. A voltage sensitive relay would work better than a split charge if you do decide to do this.

Mike.

so alternator is not the problem, as other have said get a new battery.

Must say with the denso alternator on my 1150 even with a new Odyssey and before heated grips went on the bike was still prone to flatten the battery if not left on the Optimate.

With the same battery , heated grips fitted and regularly used but with the Bosch alternator the battery always started the bike better and the bike did not have to be left on charge all of the time when not in use .

It also never gave any of those slow turning over will it start moments that it did with the smaller output alternator

The twin batteries isn't really a realistic option as the whole point of the exercise was to reduce weight.

Standard one for the 1150 with abs and heated grips, easy conversion . will look tomorrow as I think I have an old one lying about in the shed

Denso unit on left ,Bosch on right which needs to have pulley and fitting kit

Attachments

• 20150808_083851.jpg
    20150808_083851.jpg
    38.9 KB · Views: 112
  • 20150808_083909.jpg
    20150808_083909.jpg
    53 KB · Views: 118

Back
Top Bottom