Good rides from Llandovery ?

tw99

Reaction score
I'm staying with the Mrs in Llandovery this weekend. Forecast doesn't look too good for Sunday, but it'd be good to get a ride in on Sat. Seems like we should have a go on the Devil's Staircase ?

If anyone has a nice 100 mile or so route they could suggest, maybe taking in the west coast that'd be great, I'm hopelessly underprepared as usual and still need to buy a map !

Llandovery Up to Builth wells road is a cracker ,then up to Rhayader into elan valley over the top down into devils bridge .
But the possibilities are endless enjoy:thumb2

I'm staying with the Mrs in Llandovery this weekend. Forecast doesn't look too good for Sunday, but it'd be good to get a ride in on Sat. Seems like we should have a go on the Devil's Staircase ?

If anyone has a nice 100 mile or so route they could suggest, maybe taking in the west coast that'd be great, I'm hopelessly underprepared as usual and still need to buy a map !

the A roads in particular will be subject to intensive speed control by camera van and police presence as the politicians and police try to justify their existence due to the recent 3 fatalities amongst bikers....so look at b roads where you can, they will be scenic at least!!!

Try the A4069 from Llandovery down to Upper Brynammon, once you reach the roundabout just turn around and do it the other way. It's not a long ride but great road if a bit slow in places due to speed limit. You could also try the road over to Aberaeron via Lampeter. Then up to Aberystwyth via coast road then on to Devils bridge then back to Lampeter and Landovery.

....im not sure of a complete loop but I'd 100% start with ridding straight on to the back roads up to the Dam and then more of those lovely undulating lanes that follow the edge of the lake

....im not sure of a complete loop but I'd 100% start with ridding straight on to the back roads up to the Dam and then more of those lovely undulating lanes that follow the edge of the lake
That's the old Drovers road after Llyn Brianne reservoir which will take you to Tregaron,not much chance of a speed camera,and plenty of fantastic views

I was down there last week. Go towards Sennybridge but take the military road heading north to Tirabad. Head to Rhyader, across the Elan valley to Tregaron. Then head back towards Abergwesyn but end up turning right to head down the East side of Llyn Brianne. I could do it every day. You could easily incorporate the devil's staircase heading west from Abergwesyn if you wanted.

Thanks for all the advice.

In the end we only did 60 miles on Saturday, 'cos we had to keep getting off to look at the view :) We went up to Llyn Brianne, round the lake and over the little road to Tregaron (at the top we bizarrely got asked for directions by two different Welsh people too). Then came back over the roman road just S of Llanfair Clydogau - it was really quiet up there, which is a bit alien to those of us from SE England. Weather was fantastic.

We'd planned to ride round the Brecon Beacons a bit on Sunday but it was really foggy up there so gave up on that idea after crossing over to Merthyr.

Would you try?

That's the old Drovers road after Llyn Brianne reservoir which will take you to Tregaron,not much chance of a speed camera,and plenty of fantastic views

Was touring the area around Lynn Brianne last Wednesday (29.6.16) and came across this......
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-4XcE1D5V98
No way was I gonna try crossing on our Goldwing, doubt I'd have tried either on my GSA..... would you?

Back
Top Bottom