1000 miles in

Nutty

Reaction score
Had a day on the bike today, 340 miles, so we've now passed the 1000 mile mark.:beerjug:

A few observations.

There has been a lot of talk about vibes through the handlebars/ footpegs on this bike, on various forums. I hadn't experienced anything major, just a slight "tickle" at certain revs. These disappeared quickly, once I got a few miles on the clock. On Wednesday, I fitted some Wunderlich 25mm risers, and when I took the bike out, noticed some vibes between 4.5-5.5k rpm. Now, we're not talking jackhammer vibes, just a slight buzz. By the end of today, the vibes had either disappeared, or I've got used to them more; either way, they aren't an issue whatsoever.

As my other bike is a GSA, comfort is important to me. The stock XR is in no way comparable to the GS or GSA; the only slight similarity is the upright riding position. That's where the similarities end. However, with the bar risers, and lower pegs (HP rearsets), the riding position is more GS like, and much more comfortable if you're going to spend 8-10 hours on the bike.

The suspension is firm, even in the softest setting. I'd like a softer setting, but it's certainly no ball breaker on the rough stuff. I took it down some grass and gravel strewn roads today, and it was just fine.:thumb

Since the first service, and the unleashing of the full rev range, the bike is a real Jekyll & Hyde machine. A lot of people worry about ending up in jail, but you can ride this bike slowly all day long. It just encourages you to wring it's neck, and spank it's tits off!:green gri

What I will say, is if you are thinking of getting one of these, ignore any of the negative stuff you've read on forums, and take one out for a few hours (not half an hour :rob), then decide. It won't be everyone's cup of tea, and I would probably still choose the GSA as an only bike over this (the gap is getting smaller :D), but good god is this one phenomenal machine.:beerjug:

eb22f67fb26fe3c130bce23ff8189468_zpsahlfecnn.jpg

That's an objective write up! My bike has just had the Rev limiter removed so more bonkers than ever. I think the vibes are beginning to abate.......

Thanks for the write up.

Before the restricted map was removed how was the fuelling? The one I had for a couple of hours from Alan Jeffries had terrible fuelling, but it was restricted as it only had 200 miles on it. That was in dynamic mode. I didn't notice it on the first half of the ride on open roads, but on the journey back I had to slowly filter though a lot of traffic and it was very 'fluffy' and lurched a lot. Narrower bars were welcome though! It really put me off what was otherwise a great bike, although I agree a softer suspension setting would also be welcome when riding on poor roads (the sort the GS excels on)

Which model of HP rear sets did you choose? Where did you purchase? Can I presume rear sets allow straighter legs......my knees get cramp?

Thanks for the write up.

Before the restricted map was removed how was the fuelling? The one I had for a couple of hours from Alan Jeffries had terrible fuelling, but it was restricted as it only had 200 miles on it. That was in dynamic mode. I didn't notice it on the first half of the ride on open roads, but on the journey back I had to slowly filter though a lot of traffic and it was very 'fluffy' and lurched a lot. Narrower bars were welcome though! It really put me off what was otherwise a great bike, although I agree a softer suspension setting would also be welcome when riding on poor roads (the sort the GS excels on)

The fuelling was spot on before, and still is. The XR fuelling is super smooth throughout the rev range, probably the best on any bike I've ridden. Already, people are mentioning Hilltop, but at the moment, I can't see the point. And I am in the pro Hilltop camp.

Which model of HP rear sets did you choose? Where did you purchase? Can I presume rear sets allow straighter legs......my knees get cramp?

They are the HP ones supplied by BMW. There are loads of adjustments, up & down, back & forward, and the gear/ brake levers have a few positions, so you should be able to find your perfect position.:thumb

Any Idea of the max seat to foot peg distance using the HP rear sets? The standard XR setup looks like it would be too cramped for me.

Nice looking bike Nutty but..........please..........that end can, jeezus fecking christ I have never seen such an ugly can :barf

Andres

Nice looking bike Nutty but..........please..........that end can, jeezus fecking christ I have never seen such an ugly can :barf

Andres

I said that earlier

And Akra charge an extra £300 for the monstrosity

Not their finest creation is it

Nutty as a style & taste guru I am surprised you fitted that to an otherwise handsome bike :blast

Any Idea of the max seat to foot peg distance using the HP rear sets? The standard XR setup looks like it would be too cramped for me.

I'm not sure of the distance, but they've certainly made a big difference. My inside leg is 34", and it's much more comfortable since fitting them.

Andres

Pictures don't do it justice; in the flesh it looks fantastic. I'd have liked a smaller can, but for some reason Akrapovic won't be offering a smaller alternative. The sound makes it a worthy addition!:green gri

I said that earlier

And Akra charge an extra £300 for the monstrosity

Not their finest creation is it

Nutty as a style & taste guru I am surprised you fitted that to an otherwise handsome bike :blast

Have you got bored winding up the Africa Twin boys?:D

Pictures don't do it justice; in the flesh it looks fantastic. I'd have liked a smaller can, but for some reason Akrapovic won't be offering a smaller alternative. The sound makes it a worthy addition!:green gri

D

Akra seem to have lost the plot a bit recently, their one for the 1190 is no smaller or prettier than the standard can

Andres

Looks are one thing and Nutty with a tape measure, protractor, compasses, pencil and paper, quite another.

Sit on one and ride it, preferably for a decent distance. Then you'll know.

Nutty with a tape measure, protractor, compasses, pencil and paper, quite another.

Now that's a scary thought!:p

What I can confirm is that I let someone taller than me sit on my bike yesterday, and he confirmed that the pegs were lower than his standard XR, thus making it more comfortable.:beerjug:

Andres

I don't think it's the Akra so much as the angle and positioning of the can itself, it needs t o be more upswept IMHO if the can followed the same angle as the R and RR it would look so much better.

Nutty,
I had XR as loan bike while R was with BMW on first service last Thursday and I can 100% confirm that it had vibrations around 5-5.5krpm range. When I got back R at the end of the day I could definitely confirm that R is silky smooth and is not transferring any vibrations to the bars. I think it must be the problem with longer bars and most likely putting some weight into end bars could cure it...

Nutty,
I had XR as loan bike while R was with BMW on first service last Thursday and I can 100% confirm that it had vibrations around 5-5.5krpm range. When I got back R at the end of the day I could definitely confirm that R is silky smooth and is not transferring any vibrations to the bars. I think it must be the problem with longer bars and most likely putting some weight into end bars could cure it...

Any vibes that the bike may or may not have, are not an issue for me, as I can't even notice them. They may have gone, or I've just got used to them, and forgotten about them. Some bikes have more vibes than others, but either way, they really aren't an issue.

Does anyone ride around for protracted periods at exactly the RPM / speed where the vibration occurs? I do hope not.

Does anyone ride around for protracted periods at exactly the RPM / speed where the vibration occurs? I do hope not.

Depends........ if the vibes, occur over the rpm range which is the normal riding window - that can become tedious and off putting

That said, some find it ok and others hate it - just like some like brown bread and others don't

Bods will be bods

Tbh if you go looking for the vibes you will notice them and Solely focus on these, forums are a bad place they mess with your head and then you start looking for faults, the bike is astonishing good but you need to ride it like your on a mission to understand it, then it just all fits together like a jigsaw puzzle, your mindset is focused on the riding and not on picking faults.

If it's any comfort, my S1000RR buzzes its bars (totally different design to the S1000XR's, see earlier post suggesting it was down to design) at about 4,000 RPM. From memory, that's about 80mph in third.... heading rapidly towards 125 and onwards....

Back
Top Bottom