R100 GS PD advice

billythekipper

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Having just got a 89 R100GS PD I have a few questions that I hope some of you may be able to help with.

Firstly it has a Supertrapp exhaust fitted which does sound very nice, BUT is bordering on offensive and after 80-100 miles starts to make mine and any passengers ears bleed. Anyone now how to quieten them down? Tried removing plates makes little difference, I repacked it when I bought it. Or alternatively any replacement options that retain the original mounts and routing as the supertrapp fits as a direct replacement.

Secondly it needs a new set of tyres, now I am very unlikely to take it off road so want something suitable for the road and am not worried about off road suitability. I was thinking of Tourance as I had these on a 1200GS and they were very good but not sure how they would fair on the older bike.

Any advice readily received (may be ignored!!!)

Cheers Bill

Having just got a 89 R100GS PD I have a few questions that I hope some of you may be able to help with.

Firstly it has a Supertrapp exhaust fitted which does sound very nice, BUT is bordering on offensive and after 80-100 miles starts to make mine and any passengers ears bleed. Anyone now how to quieten them down? Tried removing plates makes little difference, I repacked it when I bought it. Or alternatively any replacement options that retain the original mounts and routing as the supertrapp fits as a direct replacement.

Secondly it needs a new set of tyres, now I am very unlikely to take it off road so want something suitable for the road and am not worried about off road suitability. I was thinking of Tourance as I had these on a 1200GS and they were very good but not sure how they would fair on the older bike.

Any advice readily received (may be ignored!!!)

Cheers Bill

Are you sure you repacked it correctly?
I had a Supertrapp on my GSPD and thought it sounded 'glorious' ........ probably the best thing about it in fact:D

Avon Distanzias. Pirelli Scorpion ATs. Pirelli Scorpion Trail. All more road than dirt oriented. Haven't used the Trails but the other 2 can be pushed until the metalwork is scraping. Re longevity, info from UK users will be more relevant.

Will have to check it is packed properly but should be good.

As for tyres do either the Avon's or Pirelli's suffer from vibration/droan when used on the road?

Tourances or Battlewings on mine... think the Bridgestones are better, but its a matter of personnal preference.

They look good Rob, they've got to be better than the chinky tourances. I might have to sniff a pair out. Hope the price is in the ballpark.

Have the Tourances definitely gone off now they're made in China?

Have the Tourances definitely gone off now they're made in China?

That seems to be the general consensus on here. I like the tourances, very predictable, ware well , and if you shop around , a good price. Saying that , they are all i've used , so i am not exactly a wealth of knowledge and experience.

You have a 17" rear so you can use decent tires - the Annekey 3 s are a different class to any the old tech tires and have lasted me twice as long as most.
Havent tried the new Avons yet but the Distanza are OK, but they last me half as long as long as the A3s so you would have to get then a lot cheaper.

Back
Top Bottom