New Nav 5 user, and its doing my head in ! .. it deviates from routes?

Magicmat

Reaction score
Hi All,

Just got a Nav 5 and am planning a trip through wales.

I've tested it and been to the yorkshire dales and the bloody thing is deviating from the routes and its driving me mad.

can anyone help?

So i'm planning my route Via google maps, then exporting it as a KML file and sticking on the NAV via Basecamp.

The NAV 5 its self is/was in 'curvy route mode'... could that be it?

on the way home today, i stopped and put a another destination in to see how far I away i was from a mid point... then i put my trip back in and set it to navigate to 'finish' because i thought i wanted to go to the end of the route, not go back to the start.

... so the nav then took my cross country home via a couple of town centres rather than the scenic route home.

What am i doing wrong !! :nenau

I feel your pain!

I've had a Nav 5 for 4 weeks and am still battling with it. Doesn't seem as friendly as my old Zumo 660.

A somewhat expanded version written for a friend who was having similar problems

This is how I plot a route in Basecamp

The first thing to do obviously is to open Basecamp and ensure you have the latest maps on your computer and your device. I recommend downloading separately to computer first and then device.

The next thing, and this is important, is to set your routing and transfer options.

On windows based system

Click edit and then options in the box that opens and click activity profile. Select motorcycle from the drop down.
Just beneath that are 2 tabs General and routing. Click routing

I set mine to faster time
You can also select your avoidance preferences here and I suggest you do. I tick the boxes Unpaved roads, Cable cars and climbing paths and this works for me.

Now click the Device transfer Icon

Tick the top 2 boxes ( you can tick the 3rd one as well if you want) Doing this strips out all the shaping points and way points so you don't get bothered to death listening to the bloody thing on your ride but sends a spare route with them on just in case you need to re calculate at any time whilst out on your travels. (this solves one of Jims biggest problems)

On a Mac it is pretty much the same but done through basecamp preferences.

Now replicate the routing settings on your Nav 5 ( this is vital)

Ok Now we can get on with route planning !

You will see a Left hand pane on your screen at the top of which is Library and my collection.

Right click on my collection and select new list and then give it a name ( I have several one of which is called favourites and in there I keep all my oft used way points, you will see the benefit of this later) You can call this test route for now as it can be deleted at any time in the future.

Now find your house on the map ( the search function is shit so just do it by zooming and scrolling once you have located your abode right click on it and a box appears and you want to click new way point and a blue flag will appear. double click that and another box opens giving you the ability to name the way point and give it a symbol (I call it home and use the house picture)

You will see that this way point now appears in the bottom left panel (this panel has all the points and information pertaining to the list you have open in the top left hand pane)

For ease I now ask you to find somewhere you know and create a way point as before

Done that Good !

Next then is to click the new route icon (located on the top menu bar)and a box opens. Drag your start point (home) from the bottom left hand pane to the box at drag your start point here and then do it again for your end point ( Skipton Chef) to the end point bit.

Basecamp will now create a route for you based upon the settings you ascribed earlier in this case fastest ( it makes no difference as we are going to change the route )
The route the software creates will not be to your liking or desires FEAR NOT

You will see in the bottom left hand pane the route that has been created (Home to Skipton Chef ) click on it and the route will be highlighted pink on the map. Now starting near to home (About 1 inch ) press and hold the alt key and at the same time left click and drag the pink route to where you want it ( if it goes wrong click edit and undo ) continue to do this to your route working outwards to your destination until you have shaped it onto the roads you want ! Simples

To create a circular route from home to home do the same but add a way point somewhere along where you want to go for example a tea and scone shop at the half way point.
Double click your route and a box opens that you can drag that scone stop way point to the box and position it where you need it to be !
Simples

To transfer it to the Nav5 plug the thing into computer highlight the route (bottom left pane) and click the transfer to device option

When you unplug from PC and turn on Nav it should say new routes do you want to import Obviously you do so click yes
then they should be in your app on the device for use

Thanks for the replies guys

Im on a MAC running Basecamp and Express,

My basecamp and express is up to date but my NAV 5 isnt, because the memory is all ready full ! ..i've put an 8 GB SD card in, but it still didnt give me the option to load it onto that.. think i best do some researcha and problem solve that and then do the route thing.

I just found google maps easy, but i'll try doing it in BC via your extensive guide thanks

Thanks for the replies guys

Im on a MAC running Basecamp and Express,

My basecamp and express is up to date but my NAV 5 isnt, because the memory is all ready full ! ..i've put an 8 GB SD card in, but it still didnt give me the option to load it onto that.. think i best do some researcha and problem solve that and then do the route thing.

I just found google maps easy, but i'll try doing it in BC via your extensive guide thanks
Downloads of maps should just overspill to the memory card !

Try deleting and then re installing the maps and do it individually to device and mac.

There is also a mac app called garmin updater that you may need to install

thanks for all the advice redrick, i really appreciate it,

my zum 550 was so easy haha

I was setting my mates up recently and it was doing some odd things to the routes I'd created, turned out the device had motorcycle routing set rather than fastest route. The bike routing takes it around the houses on what it decided is the "scenic" route. Another mates 660 was doing the same till I set it

Back
Top Bottom