WC 1200R

Had a test ride on the new R the other day and quite impressed with it.
I had wanted to try the old version as there are quite a few out there at a decent price.
Is there that much difference between the 2?

I've not ridden the R, but if the difference between the twin cam and LC GS is anything to go by, yes, they are very different.

I've not ridden the R, but if the difference between the twin cam and LC GS is anything to go by, yes, they are very different.

correct the tc will have a proper clutch and gearbox operation,be better built and have the indicators in the right place and paint that stays on the metal bits:D

Had a test ride on the new R the other day and quite impressed with it.
I had wanted to try the old version as there are quite a few out there at a decent price.
Is there that much difference between the 2?

I had the old R for 3 years and thought it was very good.
But now have the new R and would say after 9000km it's in a different league
Best thing to do is a back to back test. And see which you like.
I would not go back to the older model

I had the old R for 3 years and thought it was very good.
But now have the new R and would say after 9000km it's in a different league
Best thing to do is a back to back test. And see which you like.
I would not go back to the older model
Thanks for that.
Can't find a dealer close to me to ride the old R model, but do now think from comments it would make sense to buy the new one.

Thanks for that.
Can't find a dealer close to me to ride the old R model, but do now think from comments it would make sense to buy the new one.

If be slightly careful, out at least suggest you have a good test drive on the new one before committing.

I've not ridden the previous R1200R, but have owned the R1150R and earlier boxers, and my understanding is that the last R1200R is an evolution of the ones that came before whereas the current one is a bit more revolutionary.

How can I put it? The earlier boxers were best described as a gentleman's conveyance. The new one brings out my inner idiot. The BMW ASBO if you like.

Choose wisely!

After today's ride on my Sport, I'm wondering if the BMW clothing catalogue ought to include 12-hole Docs, skinny jeans, bomber jackets and Simpson Bandit helmets...

I'm 4,000 miles in to my R1200RS and loving it. Just back from 6 nights in Germany and reckon it simply does what it says on the tin. I was going to love a 2013 R12 forever after several years on a GS12 - then out came the RS. Bingo.

Panniered up I maxxed it on the autobahn. Sans panniers I was taken round the Harz twisties. The gearshift has to be used with care, but it's brill. Along with hot grips and criuise it's all the bike I need.

Dash reads 58mpg and I haven't calculated the true figures yet. Doesn't use oil.
Just needs a good wash now.

Back
Top Bottom