WC 1200R

I've got one but I've only had it weeks so far rather than months, and due to circumstances, I've ridden my old mono R80RT far more in that time than the R12R. However...

So far I've found it remarkably comfortable and astonishingly competent, but not necessarily at the same time.

For comfort, riding in rain mode if preferable as it's not quite so frenetic, but you need to use road or dynamic modes to feel what it's capable of. I do find the faster modes quite tiring after a while as there is a tenancy to press on a bit and it takes a lot of concentration.

With little 28" inside legs, the seat height is perfect and the balance of the bike instills confidence.

I don't like the very upright side stand nor the lack of bungee points.

Fuel consumption has been over 50mpg too.

I'll add more, but apparently I've got to stop playing with my phone and cook the tea

Thanks for that,
I had a short ride on one Saturday and was impressed.
Great handling and quite quick. The headlight looks a bit odd and the panniers looked a bit cheap over the previous models I thought.

The shape of the panniers remind me of the 1150GS & other Bm's of that time, I found them to be quite sturdy imho. I'm not keen on the satin finish on them though.

Tried the quickshifter on the RS & R it was good from 3rd to 6th & 6th to 3rd, but it gets a minus from me in the other gears. A work in progress methinks.

Right, the missus has gone singing or some other such nonsense, so...

Bike have a 3k mile review and I think they've got it about right.

Suspension is firm in Road mode and too firm in Dynamic; I'm not sure quite what difference the modes make other than to make the bike less comfortable

I generally have the engine/traction control in Road mode as it's a fairly good compromise, Dynamic is a bit too responsive and Rain is a little tame unless I need a rest/am carrying a pillion/am in town.

Headlights are good, though the combination of high beam and the BMW screen doesn't work well; too much light reflected back. Strangely, I never noticed the headlight shape before I bought the bike. Whatever, I don't care, it works and the Salvador Dali headlight seems quite a popular feature on Japanese bikes these days.

Luggage is simply too expensive; I've got 3 sets of BMW luggage already for my other BMWs and none of them will fit this one. I also have a set of Givi luggage and that will fit. Hopefully the monokey rack will arrive from Italy tomorrow so I'll have somewhere to put my helmet when I park up.

The rear Pilot 4 Road has just about had it at 4k miles, and the squared off profile definitely affects the handling, with the bike sometimes feeling like it has a puncture as I turn in to bends. I'll replace like for like as there's loads of life left in the Pilot 4 Road front still, but might consider something else next time (Bike recommended Pirelli Angels). It's a shame the profile is impacting the bike so as with a new tyre it's lovely and I keep seeking out awkward bends with advers cambers and broken tarmac simply because the bike shrugs them off.

roadrider's comments ring true about the quickshifter, it's OK but not perfect. Sometimes it changes more cleanly than I would have done and sometimes not so. Part of the problem is unlearning the techniques that I've used to shift quickly for the last 30+ years; I've used a clutch going up from 2nd so rarely in that time that twitching the throttle is second nature; almost muscle memory - the Gear Shift Assist certainly works better with the throttle open, ideally wide open. Otherwise both the rider and the bike are taking the tension out of the drive at the same time and it's worse than not having it. Shame it's not switchoffable.

I find going down the box the GSA shifts better than I do all the way down to first, but in this case, being on the brakes seems to help (along with a totally shut throttle)

On the subject of brakes, they are astounding. Lots and lots and lots of power.

Speed is an issue, but then again it isn't. Let me explain... the exposure to wind and riding position means that anything over 85 or so is hard work for anything but the shortest of stints, but it gets there very quickly and I've got to be very restrained with the throttle not to be going at silly speeds all the time. This is particularly prevalent around town/lower speed limits where excessive speed happens all too easily (Rain mode helps in town, as does cruise control)

The main downside at the moment is that I've also got my old RT on the road and that feels a lot more relaxing - far less capable, but more relaxing. The old RT feels like I'm wafting along on a civilised gentleman's conveyance, the R1200R feels like a proper hooligan tool.

They're both marvellous is different ways. And I've ridden both today simply for the pleasure of riding, which I've not done with other bikes in a very long time :)

Thanks again for taking the time.
I know what you mean about the hooligan element of the WC R.:D:D
It's a pity the quick shift isn't as good as the XR
I have the 1200 R classic and rode it yesterday to Wales. very mild mannered and so smooth to ride but the Wc version has the grin factor.

Road rider is spot on its the dull grey finish to the panniers that look so wrong,I think Givi would be my choice.
I had 2 hours on the 100xr and Wow i grinned all night but the R had a certain character I wasnt expecting.
Food for thought.
Thanks again for you input. did you go to the BBQ at Cotswold BMW on Saturday? 10/10 for the burgers nice one Alex:beerjug:

Have you had the software update done that came out at the end of July? My wife got it on hers and says the quick shifter is tons better and the engine generally feels smoother.

Have you had the software update done that came out at the end of July? My wife got it on hers and says the quick shifter is tons better and the engine generally feels smoother.

No idea in afraid. I've had the hardware replaced as that was broken when I picked the bike up but I don't know about the software. Is it possible to check versions?

Not sure I'm afraid. The update is a general one, not just for the quick shift. It does reset the dashboard settings to factory default when applied if that gives you a clue.

The dealer should be able to tell you straight away.
I am waiting to have the shift assist hardware replaced on my RT as it packed up completely:blast

Not sure I'm afraid. The update is a general one, not just for the quick shift. It does reset the dashboard settings to factory default when applied if that gives you a clue.

Somehow I suspect it hasn't - the 1st service was in June (too early I'd have thought). And the dash wasn't reset when the hardware was replaced.

As the faulty GSAP hardware wasn't spotted when my bike was "closely examined and prepared by BMW technicians" at the end of July, I somehow doubt the software was updated either

Latest software (there's been a more recent update than July apparently) going on at this very moment. I'll find out on the way home of out makes a difference.

As an aside, I discovered today that if you ride it like you own it and stick to the speed limits rather than riding it like a demonstrator it will return over 70mpg.

And noticed no difference at all...

One issue that's still there that I forgot to mention (not sure if it's a problem across all bikes or just mine) is that is sometimes bogs down changing into 5th on full (or nearly full throttle). Not all the time, but often enough for me to have ruled out crossing white lines etc.

Theres a lot of stuff on here thats pretty bang on but I think that regarding the suspension/power its all a relevance question..

Ive done 3500 miles and that includes a tour of 2000 miles in six days..

I had an S1000RR before so power and suspension definately not too much or too stiff,,.

however aqnd this is the good bit the power is absolutely wonderful for blasting through bends, the torque is amazing ( im led to believe its higher mid revs than an S1000RR)

I find for my light ish frame 11st that I prefer the setting on dynamic and preload set for one Rider and luggage,,Not as bouncy and improves ground clearance a little.

Tyres Pilot 4 which are confidence inspiring in patchy damp conditions excellent in wet.. as for dry they are fine except when pushed as they get a bit of movement under braking ( brakes incredible, one finger braking the norm and can trail it into corners with great feel) Id agree that as the tyre wears they white line more but mine are not that squared off,,( its spent a lot of time on its edges :D ) Ive heard from other owners that overbanding causes the same issue.

on recommendation I will possibly try the Pirrelli angel tyre or dunlop road smart II as I think these are excellent..

as for gear box I run mine in slowly and only after 500 miles of clutch use did I occaisionaly use the auto shifter..and I slowly introduced more changes over time.. it works fine on down shifts and best when under load of a closed throttle running into a corner or junction and the upshifts are smoothest on a pinned throttle from 2-6 with an occasional stiff/jerky one however I find that the clutch is so light that I just ride it normally..and the box is pretty bloody good for a beemer...

Ive fitted an MRA screen as the standard screens are ugly and useless when the light is on,, reflections so dazzling,,with the MRA set ..After much trial and error..I can cruise happily at 85/90 with no pressure on my body and the wind sliding over my shoulders ,, little head buffetting however I did have it set once which pushed the wind more over my head but suffered a lot of turbulance and noise. This screen reduced any glare to a patch about the size of a match box, and I think i can work a fixto remove it..

I looked at lots of stuff out there before buying this 1200R but i was sold on,,,, its Character,,, its Size,,its Fun..Its looks.,,is not perfect but its a bike that i look forward to jumping on and it makes me smile everytime i ride the thing...Ive just fitted a rear hugger it needs one.. (NN)..

This bike will be one that i want to keep more than others...

happy to offer any owner or potential owner help/advice,,

cheers :thumb2

As I've got to replace my rear tyre soon, I'd be interested to know what tyres the bikes were supplied with and what folk reckon to them.

I *think* mine was on Michelin PR4s (they're what are on there now, and they are what are on the new bikes in the dealership), Continental claim that BMW are fitting Road Attack 2 and the launch bikes were fitted with Metzeler Roadtec Interact Z8s.

Bike magazine are recommending the Pirelli Angel ST, and I'm amused that Michelin recommend their Power Cup Evo (whilst also mentioning that they're 95% trackday tyres).

I'm beginning to think that anything black and round will most likely do the job.

hi Gyp,
mine came with PR4,
my thoughts are as above in thread..
Angel ST seem a good bet, as are most of the round black hoops these days..
Conti sport attack II and the Metzlers were fitted to many at initial launch but Im led to believe a financial incentive means most now are on PR4's...

I reckon any decent sport touring tyre would be good ( its a case of each to their own preference I think?)
However its a heavy bike so id be midfull of too sporty a tyre .. but I reckon dunlop sport smart II would be good choice too.. tho I cant really complain too much about the pR4,,

hope that waffle helps:thumb

well, I was definitely going to avoid the Power Cup Evo!

As I suspect my riding is somewhat more pedestrian than yours (I tend to wear out the centre of the tread before the edges), I was wondering about the PR4 GT (supposedly the same as the PR4 on the edges but harder in the middle), but unfortunately Michelin don't have them on their recommended list :-(

Bit of an update...

One thing I've noticed on mine is that it sometimes seems somewhat hesitant under acceleration. Almost like it's hunting/misfiring a little.

It's only slight but it's definitely there.

I've not had chance to book it in to get it checked yet. The dealership suggested running the bike on 97-98 octane fuel to see if that made a difference (it did, but only to my wallet).

I'm pretty sure it wasn't like this when I first had it, so whether a problem has occurred, the software update messed things up or I just wasn't paying attention, I don't yet know.

Hopefully I'll know the answer soon

Had a test ride on the new R the other day and quite impressed with it.
I had wanted to try the old version as there are quite a few out there at a decent price.
Is there that much difference between the 2?

Back
Top Bottom