550 will not calculate routes - not enough memory?

fatnfast

Reaction score
If I stick in a start point in Dover and an end point in Madrid the 550 tries and fails to calculate the route say not enough memory? Any ideas?

Here's what I have done so far:

1. UK and Ireland on the unit, the rest of Europe on an SD card. No problems fitting it all on but will not calculate routes over approx. 500 miles.
2. All maps loaded onto SD card (UK, Ireland and Europe as well) and the big UK/Ireland MAP file deleted from the Garmins internal memory. Still unable to calculate route.

No MP3 files are loaded and all foreign language files removed.

Not a huge problem as the journey can be broken down into chunks that the 550 can calculate, but is this due to the size of the latest maps? Can it be resolved?

I have lifetime maps and have used Mapinstall.

it should say something along the lines of "route too long to calculate .... the last bit will be calculated when you get nearer" (or words to that effect). Happened to be a lot on my 400 and 550 - still worked fine, you just didnt get an accurate eta or distance as it hadnt calculated. also found if you have a lot of waypoints on a route it would happen.

are you asking the sat nav to calculate the route or is it a route sent via map source or base camp. i have just plotted a route via map sorce from home to madrid and transfered it to a 550 apart from taking a while to import works fine, however when asking the sat nav to do the same route it gives me the same error as yours.

From Garmin
After a destination has been entered on an automotive device, it may sometimes display the message, "Route Memory Full" or "Route Calculation Error: Not Enough Memory Available."

These messages appear when the device has reached its maximum available memory for the route that is being calculated.

Each turn in a route is stored in the device's memory. Once the memory of the device is full, it can no longer continue calculating and will display one of the above error messages. To best resolve this issue, break the route into two or more smaller routes

Thanks you both for the replies.
Leedude03, yes, that the symptom I have that Garmin sent you. Its just nice to have a guide as to how long the total journey is. At the moment if, for example, I go from Kent to Portsmouth to get the ferry to Spain and then onto a hotel it will give a 'lack of memory' message. I have never used Map sorce, so will have a play with that.

Img - unfortunately it doesnt give this message.

Not a problem breaking the journey up, just annoying that my old car 'adapted for bike' Garmin 250 can do it in one hit even with the latest maps.

Its just nice to have a guide as to how long the total journey is.

Dover to Madrid, that's easy:

A decent schlep, aka maybe two sleeps, aka not as far as Moscow, aka further than Coventry, aka a feckin' long way.

Back
Top Bottom