Powder coating -

gt12_GXR

Reaction score
Hi there, I managed add some deep scratches on the cylinder heads and I think the bike looks better without them.

I was wondering instead of buying new covers if anyone has experience with powder coating the cylinder covers (actually it's just the valve covers not sure what is the technical term), and if they can recommend someone in or around London.

Cheers

GT

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Powder coat usually won't fill deep scratches. The good guys use conductive fillers (eg Lab Metal) but it's not low cost.
There is also the (slight) risk of over heating the mag alloy.
Then what about next time?Probably better having them painted.
Machine Art polymer head protectors might cover the damage. You could also consider carbon fibre slip on covers though (disappointingly) they provide minimal protection.

Actually once all the cost is added I would rather paint the existing ones and buy some new ones for show!

What kind of paint should I be looking for?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Option 1
Get the paint stripped in a Biostrip bath and have them lightly grit blasted/etched. NEVER use caustic strippers on mag or aluminium alloys.
Prime with self etch primer for aluminium and paint with whatever you like. Dont fuss with high temperature paint they sone get hot enough to matter.

Option 2
Send then to @Tunneruk

Back
Top Bottom