Efficacy of rider aids..?

Exactly. As I was reading through the thread this was all that was in my mind. Surely these 'improvements' are added to convince born-agains that they can quickly get back into biking after a 30 year break. And to add three or four grand to a bike price/profit for the dealers/manufacturers.

I spoke to 3 BMW dealers recently and all 3 said, that TE was the only spec to buy and if you bought a 'base bike' with heated grips and dash computer, you would never be able to sell it in 3 years time

Codswallop - brain washing at its best

You will have what we have to sell and not what you want to have

Yet everyone is sucked into it, time and time again:blast

I spoke to 3 BMW dealers recently and all 3 said, that TE was the only spec to buy and if you bought a 'base bike' with heated grips and dash computer, you would never be able to sell it in 3 years time

Same used to be said re ABS bikes when that started becoming the norm on WMB's.........

That was a load of bollox too.

In fact, thinking about it, if the market is flooded with 2nd hand TE's then your non TE spec bike is going to be quite rare and as sure as eggs is eggs somebody out there will want what you have, actually making it easier to sell on :nenau

Andres

All the tech stuff is totally unnecessary, we have just been fooled into thinking we need it.

It,s a bit like fire extiuishers you don't need it. Till you NEED it
Abs brakes saved me from a collision with a tractor /hay trailer which pulled out in front of me at the improbably last second on a bit of road where there was NOWHERE to go All brakes full on ,tyres howling ,even wth the abs
I very much doubt I could have avoided it without the Abs
A proper heavy duty brown trouser moment

Yeah, I remember some guy in the toilet section saying something very similar. Right smug he was about how he'd purposefully gone for the base model with the least electronics and he'd gloat over those that had issues with their ESA, this, ABS that......blah, blah, blah.

IIRC he then went a bought one that had all singing all dancing electronic everything and it was the best thing since sliced bread. In fact it was so good it even had a gear box that worked properly (actually that's not quite true, it still needed the odd blip to help it change gear properly but that was quite normal and anybody who couldn't blip the throttle on down changes deserved a dodgy gear change anyway)............ :)

Andres

All the tech is uncessary, proved by the fact that most of us managed perfectly well without it for decades. My TE was a too good a deal to refuse and one can't buy a GS without ABS any longer. I guess there a few relative newbies that can't ride without all the extra help that they can get though.

PS they even added gear shift assist for those who couldn't blip to get a good gearchange.

Precisely, my dealer was more than happy to take my base spec 2013 model, well that had to, didn't they otherwise I wouldn't have bought the new bike from them :)

I am now on my 4th new 1200GS from the same dealer, Balderston in Peterborough, thoroughly recommended them, they are a great bunch of guys and gals.

What on earth have I started???

I've been riding for 35 years plus without a break but, despite this, I'm willing to admit that I'm not perfect.

I make mistakes. Funny that. When I messed up when i was 20 the world responded by laughing at me in a ditch. Now it flashes a light on the dash. I know which I prefer.

What on earth have I started???

I've been riding for 35 years plus without a break but, despite this, I'm willing to admit that I'm not perfect.

I make mistakes. Funny that. When I messed up when i was 20 the world responded by laughing at me in a ditch. Now it flashes a light on the dash. I know which I prefer.

Nice answer :D

Andres

Back
Top Bottom