Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Crosstourer DCT...Hmmm...

Subscriber Click here to find out how to Subscribe
    Imagine the K1600GT/L with a DCT box mmmmmm might even bring me back to BMW

Quote Originally Posted by GADGET View Post
    Imagine the K1600GT/L with a DCT box mmmmmm might even bring me back to BMW
    That bike is crying out for an auto box. In fact I'd quite like one on my 1300S.

I'm going to line a test ride up and see what goes... Top of the list are weight, torque, DCT operation and engine braking etc... Thanks for the input...It has had all the thoughts that have pinged into my mind and that makes it more interesting... Tests aren't always easy when you live off mainland...

i too have been looking at these little bikes as a winter machine, not so much the DCT one but the std one ,there is some good deals out there for new ,which seems better than the secondhand ones !

think along test ride will make my mind up too

I spent an hour on Saturday and all day Sunday on a Crosstourer DCT, fab engine, great sound, superb crackle on the overrun which was very addictive. The DCT is amazing, gear changes are instantaneous and sooooooo smooth. Engine pulls so well from such low revs that if you are gentle on the throttle tootling in a suburban area and in D it will be in 5th by 32 mph and 6th by 37. Sport mode and aggressive throttle will see it hold on to any gear up to the redline.

On a medium throttle 3rd , 4th ' 5th and 6th only make there changes felt by a drop in exhaust tone . Amazing. Full throttle shifts are just so quick it's unreal. Fantastic if you regularly take a pillion.

You have total control too even in auto mode , if you don't like the gear you are in choose another . It will stay in what is effectively auto mode but give you the gear you want fro a while until it feels it needs to change again. Example ; in auto (5th gear) following three cars I see an overtaking opportunity coming up so I knocked it down to 3rd , the opportunity comes, gas it , gone, pull back in throttle back and she goes back up to 4th then quickly 5th again.
    Of course I could've just pinned it in which case she will drop down a couple of cogs anyway but you don't always want to give it a fistful, it's nice to be ready in the gear you want.

It's a really great bike , solid , stable , surefooted and quick but it's isn't as nimble as the GS, it feels slower steering and the extra weight makes itself felt as 'inertia' when trying to flick it on its side or flip flopping through a series of bends. The weight isn't an issue at slow speed as its really well balanced. The brakes are fab too.

If it handled like the GS it would be awesome . I think a better rider than me wouldn't have a problem with the handling and it might just be a case of getting used to it.

Lastly the fit and finish is superb, the body panels are so well made and fit together so well. I too, a look at the Tracer (not ridden one) and whilst in many ways that might be a better bike, more fun/agile, the Tracer felt cheap and plasticky in comparison to the Honda.

It's a bloody great piece of kit
    As the great philosopher Keating once wrote " Life is a rollercoaster, you just gotta ride it!" ------Amen

My current stable of "adventure bikes"
    2009 Guzzi V1200 Sport 8v Triple Black..my weekend sex kitten
    2014 VFR1200X Crosstourer Highlander DCT Camo.. my big trip missile

My BMW history, all gone but not forgotten. K1 , R1100GS, R1150GS, G650 XChallenge, R1200GS TB

Thanks Rushy, great answer... I am going to do likewise and see if the plan lines up...

Quote Originally Posted by Wrigsby1 View Post
    Thanks Rushy, great answer... I am going to do likewise and see if the plan lines up...
    Do likewise?
    As the great philosopher Keating once wrote " Life is a rollercoaster, you just gotta ride it!" ------Amen

My BMW history, all gone but not forgotten. K1 , R1100GS, R1150GS, G650 XChallenge, R1200GS TB

Quote Originally Posted by Wrigsby1 View Post
    Life isn't a test ride so I just bought one and thought i'd see just what they were like , the weekend was the first time i've ridden my new ride, so far so good ....BTW its the one you mentioned in your OP.

I had a DCT last year and took it touring in Europe. I loved the idea of the automatic gearbox but riding around the passes in auto just does not work. The DCT decides to change gear at all the wrong times when riding up and down the mountain twisties. You have to be in manual. Rather defeats the object of buying the DCT version. I sold it and toured this year on a 1200 Caponord. Much much much better.

Manual buttons work for me....its not hard

Quote Originally Posted by Burty99 View Post
    I had a DCT last year and took it touring in Europe. I loved the idea of the automatic gearbox but riding around the passes in auto just does not work. The DCT decides to change gear at all the wrong times when riding up and down the mountain twisties. You have to be in manual. Rather defeats the object of buying the DCT version. I sold it and toured this year on a 1200 Caponord. Much much much better.
    So far I don't like Normal D mode at all but sport seems to give me the gear I need most of the time and then I just hit the shift button occasionally if I need something different. Haven't really tried manual too much , don't see the point.

Hey wrigsby I found this whilst searching for something;

http://www.visordown.com/road-tests-...iew/20122.html

New one here for 9K!!!!!! not the DCT though.
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Honda-VFR1...item25ace29c1f

Panic selling
    JohnnyBoxer

So many roads...........So little time......

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyBoxer View Post
    Panic selling
    Don't see why, happy with mine, why pay twice as much for a WCGSA, for instance.

Quote Originally Posted by Rushy View Post
    Life isn't a test ride so I just bought one and thought i'd see just what they were like , the weekend was the first time i've ridden my new ride, so far so good ....BTW its the one you mentioned in your OP.
    Thought your report was from a test ride not a test buy... That's my way also but I am having a test in a weeks time just to see... I am stupid tall also so what to see what the fit is like as well as the 1200V4 and the DCT... I fancied an XT12 for a while and then found I had a knee to plastic interface... PIA as the Germans build for tall...

Quote Originally Posted by Rushy View Post
    Hey wrigsby I found this whilst searching for something;

http://www.visordown.com/road-tests-...iew/20122.html
    Yip, had a read and also his DCT report which made me go from a Luddite thinker to a Hmmmm... Good write up...

Quote Originally Posted by GADGET View Post
    New one here for 9K!!!!!! not the DCT though.
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Honda-VFR1...item25ace29c1f
    WTF... If that's for real its a great deal... and I have been scanning the net for prices... Strangely it's the DCT that makes it far more interesting for me but the bike seems very underrated as a "normal" bike and passed by my bike radar for several years including a complete ignore when in a dealer a couple of years ago... Work that one out...

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast