Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Crosstourer DCT...Hmmm...

Subscriber Click here to find out how to Subscribe
    Quote Originally Posted by Rushy View Post
    Do likewise?
    Had the testride today... Wet, misty, and all that and perfect to test the dct crosstourer... Loved it... The dct takes one junction to suss the basics then 20 miles to work some of the best bits... D good for tootling and cruising... S for giving it the berries... you flick up and down when you needed it... The engine in this tune is a peach... Goes like stink when you need it and has good traction control when you need it... The bike fits well and even for me wasn't too breezy...

Doesn't feel heavy at all... Well made and does what you expect... I'll own one soon... A good step up in useable technology and a good laugh when you want it... Bit of a stealth useable bike like gs's were 15-20 years ago... Something a bit different...

Wound the rear shock down... Why do test bikes often have their suspension set on kidney rattle mode... Ride it soft then it gives you some feel... Now where's the bank statement and the calculator...

Like I said they are a great piece of kit and a really interesting alternative to the GS. I only noticed the weight when changing direction at speed and like I said I may just need to get used to it. I've been checking out the CT forum a bit and quite few guys looking to replace their CT with another one seem to be thinking of the DCT version. I'm hoping to put athousand miles on mine at the weekend, I had the 8 k service done early in prep for it, hopefully I'll be a bit more used to her by then
    As the great philosopher Keating once wrote " Life is a rollercoaster, you just gotta ride it!" ------Amen

My current stable of "adventure bikes"
    2009 Guzzi V1200 Sport 8v Triple Black..my weekend sex kitten
    2014 VFR1200X Crosstourer Highlander DCT Camo.. my big trip missile

My BMW history, all gone but not forgotten. K1 , R1100GS, R1150GS, G650 XChallenge, R1200GS TB

Like I said they are a great piece of kit and a really interesting alternative to the GS. I only noticed the weight when changing direction at speed and like I said I may just need to get used to it. I've been checking out the CT forum a bit and quite few guys looking to replace their CT with another one seem to be thinking of the DCT version. I'm hoping to put athousand miles on mine at the weekend, I had the 8 k service done early in prep for it, hopefully I'll be a bit more used to her by then
    I think the dct ct will deffo be a cult bike for those that have tried it... I get the same feeling as when I 1st tried gs's... I only found it bulky on slow stuff such as tight roundabouts and slow bends after quick bits... I am on an rt at the mo... probably wouldn't think twice about non dct version even though there are some good deals about...

Just had a test ride today.......... What a great road bike !
    Seamless gear changes in manual, and just as good in sport mode.
    Engine is a peach. It just pulls and pulls until you get scared.
    I thought my GS brakes were good, but the C/T's are in another league. Nearly popped my eye balls.

Waiting to see what the dealer comes up with for my 14 plate GS LC TE.

Bad bits on the C/T.... No cruise, no ESA, no on board computer..... But that V4 tied into that Gearbox....... Superb !

Quote Originally Posted by Gargy View Post
    Just had a test ride today.......... What a great road bike !
    Seamless gear changes in manual, and just as good in sport mode.
    Engine is a peach. It just pulls and pulls until you get scared.
    I thought my GS brakes were good, but the C/T's are in another league. Nearly popped my eye balls.

Waiting to see what the dealer comes up with for my 14 plate GS LC TE.

Bad bits on the C/T.... No cruise, no ESA, no on board computer..... But that V4 tied into that Gearbox....... Superb !
    She flies doesn't she, I'm loving the engine . The exhaust note with an after market can is lovely and when you shift down the box and the auto blipper works it's magic there is a lovely crackle from it. The ESA I can live without, the cruise is definitely something that would be nice to have I agree, especially as it's a full ride by wire system so easy to implement. As for an OBC it gives most of the information you need/ get with an OBC , except for range, but you can't control it from the bars which is a PITA.

I need to play with the suspension settings a bit because although the brakes are great she dives quite a bit under braking , but more disconcerting is the way the forks rebound very quickly as you come off the brakes. It's almost like they come back up and got to full extension.

She is a little thirsty though which I don't really care about except for that means the tank range isn't great. Just did a 1000 miles last weekend on her and had to start looking for fuel at anything between 135 & 160 miles with reserve being a further 40 miles. A shame as you can ride it all day without stopping.
    As the great philosopher Keating once wrote " Life is a rollercoaster, you just gotta ride it!" ------Amen

My BMW history, all gone but not forgotten. K1 , R1100GS, R1150GS, G650 XChallenge, R1200GS TB

The only thing that concerns me about the DCT is reliability as it gets older - that said, I've never heard of any DCT failures other than occasionally getting out of sync - cured by re-starting the bike - I guess that's probably a software blip.
    Dogs welcome

Quote Originally Posted by Buckingham View Post
    The only thing that concerns me about the DCT is reliability as it gets older - that said, I've never heard of any DCT failures other than occasionally getting out of sync - cured by re-starting the bike - I guess that's probably a software blip.
    I use the Google test... Type in "Honda Crosstourer problems" or my other possible an XT1200Z and see what comes up... A couple of DCT bugs for the Crosstourer and a possible headlight loom and minor FD seal leak for the XTZ... Next to the extensive lists for GS's et al then its hardly a ripple... I once had a choice between a VW LT van or a Renault Master... Google "Renault gearbox problem"....

Like Newton - only stupid Click here to find out how to Subscribe
    Sure sounds interesting and I can feel a demo coming on.

Somethings a few demo hours can't answer easily like:

1. Comfort for rider and pillion - especially the pillion seat?

2. Honda panniers. Are the waterproof?

Quote Originally Posted by boxer View Post

No complaints from the Mrs regarding the pillion seat. And no complaints from me in respect of the riders seat ( I used an airhawk on my GS )

My own opinion is that the OEM panniers are crappy plastic, I use Givi Outback 37L alloy ones. The OEM top box leaked, it was redesigned last year.

Quote Originally Posted by boxer View Post

All day comfortable for the rider. Did 340 miles last Sunday on A & B roads around Wales and could have done another 300 easily. Pillion comfort , no idea , she doesn't go on the back anymore since the littlun was born.

Panniers, aluminium look plastic . Mine are as new in the bubble wrap not used by the previous owner or myself. Enough said. They do look waterproof

Ha... Just bought a DCT CT as promised a few posts ago... Shitty weather but bike shrugging it off fine... Heres to a long and hopefully (well it is a Honda) problem free ownership... Is Honda long term buy since the 90's and like joining a family cuddle rather than the firm Kraut handshake of BMW...

Just in case anyone needs the info... Vfr12s are subject to a shaft drive recall as some may be suspect long term... Mine is for changing and finding out is,easy via Honda uk website... New recall and not of the bmw "collapsing suspension" variety so not uber urgent... Hmuk seem dilligent about it and after owning many bm's, are perhaps a bit more forthcoming... The bike is built like a well finished outhouse so hopefully that will be it...

I am a month or so in and weather has intervened in a few weeks recently... It is a good bike... Really good engine... Fine enough handling and the semi auto box is,working v well... Overtake almost anywhere and in one of three gears with all the torque... soon a longer trip...

Thing is you boys asking about auto /DCT have missed a trick over the last 12 years
    My T Max 530 (I've had 6 TMax's since they came out in 2000) is a twist and go 110 mph bike . Handles better than a lot of bikes and is a hoot to ride .I couldn't give a feck about the finess of changing gear . Auto is fantastic . If they bring out an auto Adventure I'd be first in the queue.
    You Soft Southern Jessy

My Glass is half Full

Quote Originally Posted by Robbo1200ADV View Post
    Thing is you boys asking about auto /DCT have missed a trick over the last 12 years
    My T Max 530 (I've had 6 TMax's since they came out in 2000) is a twist and go 110 mph bike . Handles better than a lot of bikes and is a hoot to ride .I couldn't give a feck about the finess of changing gear . Auto is fantastic . If they bring out an auto Adventure I'd be first in the queue.
    They have , havent been on here for a while ?

Quote Originally Posted by Robbo1200ADV View Post

I wouldn't have bought a Tmax though... It's still a super scoot albeit a pretty good sounding one... With the DCT you get all the action of gears but without some of the agricultural parts so gear changes are several times quicker and subtler and the bike is ready to go all of the time...

It's all personal and my wishes wouldn't have bought a TMax et al or the fully auto diesel ADVbike that was the Track T800... The CT DCT does fully auto but I ride it manual most of the time so I can make it do what I want rather than what it wants...

They have , havent been on here for a while ?
    I guess I mean an auto like the t max transmission, but I take your point
    You Soft Southern Jessy

My Glass is half Full

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast