Insurance accessories / modifications disclosure

Joca

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Well, my insurance is due soon and i've started trolling the comparison sites for quotes.
As usual there is a conundrum of questions about modifications. Some companies class things like luggage cases and engine bars as mods or don't offer the choice of Accessories.
What do the Tossers here do?
I've seen bikes for sale here with tons of mods/extras. How do you declare these? Or DO YOU??
what are the best companies to deal with for this? I don't have many accessories and nothing modified but struggle to get it defined on the comparison sites.

:blast

When they ask are there any accessories, just name them. Luggage, engine bars, touring screen, after market exhaust etc....
....then when they ask about mods it's, "there's no modifications to the bike".

It's about time we started to insist that we have accessories on our bikes and not modifications. They were purchased as accessories.
If they start to baulk at this explanation just say you will shop around then. I'm sure they will say "ah OK accessories then".

Good luck:thumb2

http://www.bennetts.co.uk/policy/th...bennetts-guide-to-modifications/#.VeHfmiVViko

Excellent question It's a minefield imho Some guidance above just from a quick google I think if you look there will be lots more including from comparison sites
Bear in mind a modification maybe something removed too (eg ABS)

And a warning below

“Changing the exhaust pipe is a common modification for motorcycles to make, and this can often improve the performance of the vehicle,” says a spokesman for motorcycle insurer Hastings Direct. “But be aware that such changes could invalidate insurance policies at the point of a claim if the insurer has not been informed.”

I give my insurance company an exaustive list of everything I have done to the bike. I send it to them in an email and ask for acknowledgement. It rarely costs more (the maximum has been £35 or so) and they will often tell you they won't cover certain bits (one year it was the GPS, another time the Ohlins).

Insurance is a contract of 'utmost good faith'. I tell them what they are insuring - they tell me the premium. It's a simple business deal - if you want an illustration of why I do this, read post 189 on this ride report. I'd been doing the full disclosure thing for years, but this was the first claim I'd made...

If you're going to fail to declare stuff, trust to luck etc, have at it - but don't expect the settlement to be fair if you've not told the truth...

Mike :cool:

Well, my insurance is due soon and i've started trolling the comparison sites for quotes.
As usual there is a conundrum of questions about modifications. Some companies class things like luggage cases and engine bars as mods or don't offer the choice of Accessories.
What do the Tossers here do?
I've seen bikes for sale here with tons of mods/extras. How do you declare these? Or DO YOU??
what are the best companies to deal with for this? I don't have many accessories and nothing modified but struggle to get it defined on the comparison sites.

:blast

Morning

We have schemes that cater for mods/extras so if you'd like to PM some details, I'll arrange a quote.

Many Thanks

Jordan

Hi Jordan
Thanks for your post. I am currently insured through your service as it happens. I will PM you the policy number and you can get me my renewal prices?
Cheers

I suppose Risers are a modification???

They may well will be treated as such when you come to claim for their replacement if and when your bike is damaged and / or stolen. You'll certainly want your insurer to pay you out for them, that's for sure.

Does the standard bike have bar risers? No. Has the bike's standard design / fixtures been modified or added to? Yes

Will your insurer include the modification of your adding bar risers, probably for little or no additional premium? Almost certainly, yes. Should the insurer refuse or you think their premium a rip-off, then decline their offer and shop around for something better. When you find it, great. If you can't, then go back and explain that you've changed your mind and / or you'd like to see if they can reduce their rip-off a bit.

I found recently that declaring what i have done e.g. suspension/exhaus/no cat/brakes etc made no difference on the very competitive I received from Hastings Direct. Incidentally this was on a '04 1150gsa and I do appreciate that a new machine, location, usage, storage etc will all have an effect on the quanitification of risk by your chosen insurer.

Back
Top Bottom