Changing bikes

g.s.john

Getting old aint fer pussies
UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
I've got my eye on a 2008 800gs hoping to have a look today anything i should look for common faults ect thanks in advance.

Look out for paint peeling and corrosion on lower left hand clutch cover/sump and check for notchy steering head bearings...
Good luck

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My 650 gs twin is an 08. When i bought it in 2011 the big talk was chocolate drive chains. The original was made by CZ and was fitted to 650 and F800GS's and had a habit of failing very quickly . So make sure its had that changed.

At a recent BMW service they replaced my top hose FOC with an aramid re inforced one.
Lastly during 2010 to 13 there were a lot of updates, so look where the bike has been serviced in its early years.

HTH

Steve

Check the chain guard screws have not seized. Most bloody annoying!

Look out for paint peeling and corrosion on lower left hand clutch cover/sump and check for notchy steering head bearings...
Good luck

My 2010 has a head bearing advisory on the mot, and I can feel a very very slight notch when the steering is centred but thought this was just to let you know it was in the middle!!! out of interest does anyone know how much new head bearings would cost?:blast

Kat time I replaced mine, I paid about £34 for the two bearings. You will also need the lower bearing dust cover, about £3, as it the original will be punctured when you eject it using the 4mm punch hole that BMW kindly provide .
The upper dust cover can be re-used

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks Thomo
But I will probably get a dealer to do it as its a bit too technical a job for my limited ability in motorbike tinkering! I can change the oil and repair punctures and replace pads etc. but that's about it really!!! so just wondered what a mechanic would likely charge for this job?

I'd give Jap & German in Druid Street a ring. Great guys, great mechanics, great prices, much cheaper that any Motorrad dealer I've found. As a bonus you can get a coffee and an amazing cream cake at the bakers round the back of the shop.
SuperTed

Thanks Ted ive been going to the guy down by Charlie Browns roundabout in Roding Lane South, nice bloke and quite cheap for servicing, but no bakers nearby!!!! Thanks for the info on price BMBLAG id better start saving!

Back
Top Bottom