1976 Honda SL 125 Restoration

(RIP) Tunneruk

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
A mate of mine (also called Chris) called me up in August, "How busy are you cocka?" he asked.
I was half way through building up the 'IL Bastardo' Ducati project which I was hoping to just about have done in time to go away on a European bike trip.
I had / have a pretty busy workshop schedule upon my return but as always I said "What are you after fella? I'll see if I can help ..........."
As it turns out Chris phoned to ask me to restore a bike as a surprise birthday gift for his girlfriend.
She'd learned to ride on an SL125 back in the day and had recently bought this example unseen online with the intention of sorting it out and putting it on the road etc. As with a lot of these plans the bike had made it's way further and further towards the back of the barn as more important things took precedence.

You see this particular girlfriend is no other than the legend that is Patsy Quick, first British woman ever to participate in the Dakar in 2003 and first British woman ever to complete it in 2006. She now owns and runs the Desert Rose Rally race team and Desert Rose off road training school. It's fair to say that she's pretty handy on two wheels. Chris is no stranger to the rally scene himself and is a very accomplished privateer rider. Some of you may remember a Honda CRM250 Activated Radical that I restored last year which had spent five days in the sea, that is Chris's own bike.

Patsy .....

a52de641-1ea1-4e00-ae52-c1bf876deddb_Patsy%20Quick.jpg

Chris .....

21473302339_cbd27c2c40_z.jpg

"How bad is it?" I asked, "I don't know, I haven't seen it" was the reply ......... "I'll get one of the lads to dig it out and get it up to you, give me a call when it arrives"

I kid you not, three hours later a van pulls up outside my workshop and we unload this ........

21035722864_b780fe74ea_b.jpg

21646996032_8022ea228e_b.jpg

21647003552_feb33b065f_b.jpg

21037377953_4f0283f531_b.jpg

21037370983_5a28e127c4_b.jpg

I emailed the photos over to Chris and we came up with a plan. Although the bike was all there (or so I thought) every single component would need attention, the tank was full of rust, any chrome that was left was shot. It needed a full nut and bolt rebuild! On the positive side I did spend 20 minutes or so buggering about so it would run, and it did run, it sounded sweet, it selected all it's gears and didn't smoke.

I finished IL Bastardo with a couple of days to spare before my trip so I spent one of them stripping the little SL down to component form and the other ordering parts and running about dropping parts off for powder coat or chrome or zinc plating. The next day I left for my trip and hoped that all my vendors would keep to their end while I was away .............

............... They didn't :blast

I got back and made a few calls, a few new promises and we had a new schedule, turns out that the powder coating was ready after all, the zinc plating was imminent but the chroming was still in progress (read - still in the box under his bench)

I set to work on the engine, it had been completely hand painted silver, I painstakingly stripped layer after layer of paint using solvent. I got the main crank cases, barrel and head back to bare alloy then removed the clutch and generator covers for blasting and paint, cleaned up and polished any areas that were staying un painted.

I won't prattle on any more about every stage of the process so I'll summarise by saying it was a lot of this -

-Cleaning
-Grinding
-Sanding
-Painting
-Sorting
-Greasing
-Assembling

The new parts arrived in their droves, I managed to find a NOS seat in Malaysia, a pair of NOS wheels in the States, cables, tyres, tubes etc etc etc

There are a couple of bits on the bike which aren't actually native SL125, with an endless budget of time I could have maybe tracked down a couple of the more illusive parts. However, given the time constraints and parts availability, the plan was to restore as much of what was there as was reasonably practical. A Honda purist might have something to say about it but in all honesty the bike looks very well just as it is!

I managed to pretty much complete the whole restoration in just about two long weeks :sleep
The chrome was the last piece of the puzzle which I got back two days before the bike was due to be delivered.

21667944781_9bf192dcc7_b.jpg

21647327492_2976275d2e_b.jpg

21471967479_4a20d706fd_b.jpg

21658774225_d85b81738d_b.jpg

21667839471_4a31bfc9cc_b.jpg

21632721636_03ea161f99_b.jpg

21471925969_33a489d78a_b.jpg

21658658495_3bcd8056dd_b.jpg

21632698606_7608a30d43_b.jpg

21658670155_d430ec823a_b.jpg

21647378762_e8c4d4b2f7_b.jpg

21667865471_0610ea54e2_b.jpg

21037725003_5b43bce1fb_b.jpg

The reason for the frantic activity is that the whole Desert Rose troop were heading down to the Pyrenees for Patsy's birthday celebrations so the bike needed to be ready to be hidden in the race truck for the journey down along with 20 or so other bikes!

I took the bike down to meet the truck just before it boarded the train through the channel.

21037646563_fb00ab63f6_b.jpg

I got a phone call on Sunday morning, it was Patsy herself thanking me for the work I'd done, she'd been presented with the surprise bike that morning :beerjug:

21472350589_652421037e_b.jpg

That is a stunner Chris and a brilliant read.

I bet Patsy was delighted with your work. As a previous owner of a TL 125 I have a soft spoft for the whole Sl Xl Tl 125 range as they were just great work horses that just ran and ran.

Thanks for posting

Steve

What a stunning job, wish it was mine, I'd love to ride down to the cafe on that baby

Very nice,

I have the smaller 100cc version engine in my Cb100n,

though I have just ordered a big bore kit for it to take it to 144cc!

Cheers for the comments guys!

I have had news back from the Pyrenees this morning.

Patsy (on the little SL125) and Chris (on the above mentioned CRM250AR) went off for a little trail ride, the reports are that she came back with a big grin on her face!! :clap

Absolutely lovely, not wanting to be overly critical but having owned two of them the black band on the tanks on both of mine ( a 1974 and a 1975 registered bike ) were a semi matt /satin finish from new

Absolutely lovely, not wanting to be overly critical but having owned two of them the black band on the tanks on both of mine ( a 1974 and a 1975 registered bike ) were a semi matt /satin finish from new

Funny thing is, I searched and searched for accurate photos of the tank, 50% of which showed a gloss finish and 50% showed the whole tank in satin finish. I would have asked about on a few forums / Facebook groups but I didn't want Patsy to stumble into one of them and put 2+2 together. Forums and social media are great ..... until you want to keep something a secret :blast

Never used the word before,relating to a bike but that is beeeuuutiful :thumb2
Well done that man.

They are a cracking bike, my last one had a later xr200 motor , better rear shocks , alloy rims and a xl185 front end but looked standard ................brilliant trail and road bike

I love these restoration threads and bookmarked this to read when I had a minute.....Just got 'round to reading this.

What a cracking job !!....I wouldn't know where to start....it looked like 'Skip material'..

Very well done.....:thumb2

That's a lovely little bike. How on earth do you do it in the time, it looks like a full winter's rebuild to me.

Lovely job Chris, you are a talent. Two weeks...with no sleep?

:beerjug:

That's a lovely little bike. How on earth do you do it in the time, it looks like a full winter's rebuild to me.

Erm ..... it was a pretty long two weeks if I'm honest with several late nights. I did give myself a couple of days off after I delivered it just to give myself a bit of a break .... and by that I mean I got around to servicing and cleaning my KTM which was still absolutely shit high after my Europe trip and I gave my little XJ550 a mini birthday by way of a big old carb clean and service and got a selection of it's hardware re-plated. It was nice to do something to my own bikes for a change :D

Next up ....... Project R100CS!!!

That was probably the nicest Honda 125 ever. I had the 250 and have for ever since regretted selling it.
You were lucky to find one with decent cam bearings. Honda cut two big notches to feed the cam lobes through resulting in quick rattle top ends. It use to be possible to get a repair kit with split roller bearings but they'll be long gone.
Well done and in just two weeks. - excellent work.

Brilliant job chris .amazing how you can do it so quick and so nice . As it happens my mate was riding with down tbere in that event .said it was brilliant

Sent from my GT-N7105 using Tapatalk

SL125

That looks amazing chap, I had one of those for my first 'proper' girlfriend to learn to ride and do her RAC/ACU test on when I was an instructor at Crystal Place:rob.Happy days:D Cheers:beerjug:John B
p.s. I believe Dorsal Fin of this parish had/has one for sale, I did go and look too....

Back
Top Bottom