New LED lamps - recommendations please

MikeO

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
As those who read my last ride report may be aware, I have had an unending series of failures with the current auxiliary lights I have fitted to my 1150 Adv...

i-hj5HN8T-L.jpg

I have these fitted in two pairs, one of which comes on with the dipped bean and the other pair with main. They look great, have a good beam pattern, but are wholly unreliable - my last one lasted under a week before failing completely.

I've been looking on eBay for possible replacements and have found the following ones - has anyone here had any experience of them and can let me know what they're like please?

$_12.JPG

Link 1

$_57.JPG

Link 2

$_57.JPG

Link 3

$_57.JPG

Link 4

$_12.JPG

Link 5

I think numbers 4 and 5 are probably unsuitable, as they seem to have a 'flood' beam pattern rather than a spot - I need to be able to adjust the pair that come on with the dipped beam so that they don't dazzle oncoming traffic. For resilience in use, I'd refer both pairs of lamps be the same.

Anybody got good/bad experience of any of these - or indeed of other ones?

Many thanks,

Mike :thumb2

I had number 2 on my 1150, no problems with reliability and very well made. I originally bought 4 and they were very flimsy, cheap tat....

Is it the norm for the various LED lights not to come with wiring looms?

Denali, they are fantastic, dipping beam too ( which is illegal, but!!) they are expensive but compared to the rest, different league.

I have a pair of lamps that look like these on my 1200. The beam is narrow so only suitable to back up main beam. The beam is VERY long range.
The case is billet alloy and hemispherical lens is glass. Mine came with 2mm aluminium "protective" shields which won't do much but look ok.
I mine have a flashing mode so won't work with a dimmer so are suitable for main beam only.
These say they have two power settings so worth a punt at £10 each.
http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&alt=web&id=261698029605&globalID=EBAY-GB

Mike.

I have been using LINK 2 LED's on my 1200RT. Fitted over last winter, now done 9,000 miles. No problems.

They recently sent me a link to buy a pair at £17.83 including free delivery.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/like/281808538907?lpid=82
What sort of beam pattern do they throw? The description says "Spot Driving Lamp Foglight"
Obviously it can only be one, not all. Or can you specify which you want?

Sent from my D5503 using Tapatalk

What sort of beam pattern do they throw? The description says "Spot Driving Lamp Foglight"
Obviously it can only be one, not all. Or can you specify which you want?

Sent from my D5503 using Tapatalk

Difficult to say really. They have not been used in the dark. Specifically fitted as permanent DRL's.

You can't choose the beam pattern.

From my limited tests I would say they are spots, but with flare on the outside. I have them mounted just above and forward of the exhaust header on my R1200RT. Quite low down really.

They are 50mm dia, so will be limited in the beam that they can 'throw'.

Ive got a pair of #2 that have been fitted for about 2yrs/40k miles. The light is very bright to be seen with but doesn't throw much light out, which has been perfect for my commute. You know when you've been noticed.

However both the light and the knuckle casting that holds the light to the u bracket are very brittle and both sides have broken through vibration. Various repairs proved temporary until I used a mix of duct tape strips and cable ties which are functional but not very pretty.

For the money they're awesome.

No tried them yet, but fitted these 18w LED spots to full beam along with wiring up the FF50's with a Autoswitch.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    57.1 KB · Views: 646
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    65.8 KB · Views: 631
Clearwater Darla very expensive but fantastic lights, fully dimable for night time use and high beam.

Back
Top Bottom