R1150gs 03 twin spark not starting. HELP PLEASE!

Phoned Mick Kendrick whos number I got off here, unfortunately hes on holiday until tomorrow so will get back to you all when I hear from him regarding the problem. Hopefully it is what we've seemed to diagnose. I'm not too worried about the money but thanks for linking that to me Hops. Appreciated. If i do infact need one of those I could just ask Mick to order one through there, unless of course he could find one himself for around the same money?

Update guys.

Got the bike to Mick Kendrick who got the bike sorted and turned around in a day, which for me is brilliant. The bike now starts runs etc etc.

Hall sensor has been replaced.

Now, My bike has rocket sprockets so if that factors in at all please, chime in!

The bike suddenly feels like its hesitant at high rpm, alot more so than before. It go's and go's then around 4k rpm drops right off and feels like its struggling.

It also backfires alot more than before, it does have a miiv exhaust and y-piece but it never was a problem before now.

Mick says to bring it back over to his to check it out, which i am more than appreciate of, he really seems like a top bloke with great communication on the bike.

I'm just wanting to know if any of you GS boffins might be able to direct me to what it may be? I don't wanna be riding it if i'm gonna kill it!

Cheers, Dan

Update guys.

Got the bike to Mick Kendrick who got the bike sorted and turned around in a day, which for me is brilliant. The bike now starts runs etc etc.

Hall sensor has been replaced.

Now, My bike has rocket sprockets so if that factors in at all please, chime in!

The bike suddenly feels like its hesitant at high rpm, alot more so than before. It go's and go's then around 4k rpm drops right off and feels like its struggling.

It also backfires alot more than before, it does have a miiv exhaust and y-piece but it never was a problem before now.

Mick says to bring it back over to his to check it out, which i am more than appreciate of, he really seems like a top bloke with great communication on the bike.

I'm just wanting to know if any of you GS boffins might be able to direct me to what it may be? I don't wanna be riding it if i'm gonna kill it!

Cheers, Dan

Sounds like one or both main stick coils have failed.... simple check - Pull the lower secondary spark plug caps off and see if it starts and runs on just the main plugs.

Steptoe, Thanks for getting back to me.

Right it may well be the stick coils but I can see a pattern emerging here.

The guy who I bought the bike off on here had said hes just had the stick coils and hall sensor replaced, in what order i'm unsure. Now if this is the stick coils that are broken, again, would that mean there could be another underlying problem leading these items to failure?

As the stick coils are indeed fairly new (less than a year old) and in good condition.

Thanks again for the help, appreciated.

As you seem to have an intermittent ignition related problem, let me tell you a little story.......... Some time ago my GS developed a strange intermittent problem, sometimes starting and running perfectly, but then I'd stop for fuel or something and it wouldn't restart. Loads of pops and bangs, huge flames and misfires from the exhaust, great sparks at the plugs, but would only start after loads of churning and 'easy-start' or if left while I went and had a medicinal beer. Whether the engine was hot or cold made no difference, and the problem just came and went with no discernible pattern. It nearly drove me insane finding the fault. Having a complete spare bike, I finally swapped EVERYTHING (complete fuel tank and pump, spark plugs, coils, leads, hall sensor etc.), and the problem would still crop up. I finally tracked it down to a very small magnetised piece of metal on the timing wheel that triggers the Hall sensor (and spark timing). Sometimes it stuck to the Hall sensor and had no effect, and sometimes it stuck to the wheel and span round giving false ignition sparks all over the place. Removing the piece of metallic grit solved the problem completely. So simple, yet so difficult to find...............

Try swopping relays 6 and 7 around and listen to hear if pump still primes when you turn ignition on.
Leave them that way (they're identical) and try again.

If no joy:

Ignition off
pull fuse 5
Ignition on.
open and close throttle fully twice.
Ignition off.
Replace fuse 5

attachment.php

Hi Timolgra,

Your advice has helped me start my R1150GSA and saved me the £127 the RAC wanted to charge me to take my vehicle to be repaired.
Big thanks

Buzz

As you seem to have an intermittent ignition related problem, let me tell you a little story.......... Some time ago my GS developed a strange intermittent problem, sometimes starting and running perfectly, but then I'd stop for fuel or something and it wouldn't restart. Loads of pops and bangs, huge flames and misfires from the exhaust, great sparks at the plugs, but would only start after loads of churning and 'easy-start' or if left while I went and had a medicinal beer. Whether the engine was hot or cold made no difference, and the problem just came and went with no discernible pattern. It nearly drove me insane finding the fault. Having a complete spare bike, I finally swapped EVERYTHING (complete fuel tank and pump, spark plugs, coils, leads, hall sensor etc.), and the problem would still crop up. I finally tracked it down to a very small magnetised piece of metal on the timing wheel that triggers the Hall sensor (and spark timing). Sometimes it stuck to the Hall sensor and had no effect, and sometimes it stuck to the wheel and span round giving false ignition sparks all over the place. Removing the piece of metallic grit solved the problem completely. So simple, yet so difficult to find...............

Thats a really interesting one to have in the databank!

Back
Top Bottom