300 miles today....

Wapping

Reaction score
.... So that's half of it run-in around the highways and biways of London, Essex, Suffolk and Cambridgeshire today.

Not much troubled by the infamous vibration that is supposed to make it unrideable, though the Nav V did decide to make a gentle decent onto the clocks. I've subsequently tightened up the two retaining bolts (with a bit of Loctite) and for good measure have tightened up the four bolts that hold the device carrier in place, along with some Loctite, too.

BMW have done well, producing the sort of bike that Honda would have made had they not lost the plot some years ago. Well put together and it works. It's certainly not a full on sports bike and it's a bit less banzai than the single S naked version but for all day long comfort with plenty of go, it's hard to fault it.

I had initially feared that the clutch lever span was too wide but that proved groundless. The bog standard footrests are positioned comfortably enough; so no need to change these either. The bike runs straight as a die with both hands off the bars, so nothing to bother about there either. The Nav V operates differently than when installed in my 1600, simpler in operation as it does not have the multiple other uses that the 1600 gives to its iWheel whatsit. I like the wheel in use on both bikes anyway.

The quick shifter works seamlessly, straight out of the box. The downshift auto-blipper too, which is quite fun. The Touratech small tank bag I bought fits well and does the job, far nicer than BMW's offerings which I have never got on with. The E Scottoiler I put on seems to be doing its stuff, without too much bother. The heated grips I have't tried; I guess they work?

Is it a better bike than the 1200 LC? In my view, yes. I have ridden an LC twice, both times on extended days out and did not like it. I think BMW ruined what was the natural charm of the old flat twin; making the new water cooled variant behave and run like a multi-cylinder across the frame engine, all rev happy but without the redline (or really the power) to justify it. The HP2 Sport engine was / is much nicer but would be horrible in a GS frame. Quite why BMW felt they had to make the LC twin into a faux 'four' (when they had a perfectly good four engine already) I don't know.

Another 300 miles tomorrow, followed by a service on Thursday and then Spain at the weekend for a proper test.

Nice one. I told you the vibration debacle was just a storm in a teacup! It certainly doesn't vibrate as much as any of my GS's did. My heated grips work as they should, so you should be happy enough. I certainly wouldn't fit "muffs" to this bike!:D

Wait until you get the rev limiter removed after the first service, then it should be as banzai as the R.:green gri

Out of interest, which tankbag did you get?

Out of interest, which tankbag did you get?

The bizarrely named, Ambato Pure.

It's not quite as good as TT's other version that fits the 1600 and my HP4 as it doesn't have the Velcro bit for the credit card holder nor the internal 'flap' pocket to put your maps in. It does though have the sensibly A4 sized clear map case..... Oh, and it doesn't have the eleasticated bands to hold your gloves whilst you make rude two-fingered gestures at Robin 'at work' (so called) in the tea huts. There, I've now gone and made myself wonder why I bought it..... Ha, it's great.

.... So that's half of it run-in around the highways and biways of London, Essex, Suffolk and Cambridgeshire today.

Not much troubled by the infamous vibration that is supposed to make it unrideable, though the Nav V did decide to make a gentle decent onto the clocks. I've subsequently tightened up the two retaining bolts (with a bit of Loctite) and for good measure have tightened up the four bolts that hold the device carrier in place, along with some Loctite, too.

BMW have done well, producing the sort of bike that Honda would have made had they not lost the plot some years ago. Well put together and it works. It's certainly not a full on sports bike and it's a bit less banzai than the single S naked version but for all day long comfort with plenty of go, it's hard to fault it.

I had initially feared that the clutch lever span was too wide but that proved groundless. The bog standard footrests are positioned comfortably enough; so no need to change these either. The bike runs straight as a die with both hands off the bars, so nothing to bother about there either. The Nav V operates differently than when installed in my 1600, simpler in operation as it does not have the multiple other uses that the 1600 gives to its iWheel whatsit. I like the wheel in use on both bikes anyway.

The quick shifter works seamlessly, straight out of the box. The downshift auto-blipper too, which is quite fun. The Touratech small tank bag I bought fits well and does the job, far nicer than BMW's offerings which I have never got on with. The E Scottoiler I put on seems to be doing its stuff, without too much bother. The heated grips I have't tried; I guess they work?

Is it a better bike than the 1200 LC? In my view, yes. I have ridden an LC twice, both times on extended days out and did not like it. I think BMW ruined what was the natural charm of the old flat twin; making the new water cooled variant behave and run like a multi-cylinder across the frame engine, all rev happy but without the redline (or really the power) to justify it. The HP2 Sport engine was / is much nicer but would be horrible in a GS frame. Quite why BMW felt they had to make the LC twin into a faux 'four' (when they had a perfectly good four engine already) I don't know.

Another 300 miles tomorrow, followed by a service on Thursday and then Spain at the weekend for a proper test.

Had the same with my gps mount, lost all 4 bolts for the mounting bar. AJ replaced at 1st service, fitted at mothership apparently, so a screw up in The fatherland.
Just wait till the limiter is off, it then becomes manic.

Truly a brilliant bike from BMW, and agree, what vibes. Enjoy, now if only I could find that fuckin accessory socket:D

I'll tell people I'm colour blind and that it's blue.
Never mind :comfort

Its a great bike for touring IMO and that is from 1400 miles in Scotland over the weekend. For me it was actually comfier than the GSA and put a smile on my face every corner and every overtake. one of the days was 410 miles and i was less knackered than last time on the GSA and no where near as achy.

I also think that the fit and finish is better than the GSA was although I can't say I am terribly impressed with the tyre life but its a small price to pay for so much fun.

The bizarrely named, Ambato Pure.

It's not quite as good as TT's other version that fits the 1600 and my HP4 as it doesn't have the Velcro bit for the credit card holder nor the internal 'flap' pocket to put your maps in. It does though have the sensibly A4 sized clear map case..... Oh, and it doesn't have the eleasticated bands to hold your gloves whilst you make rude two-fingered gestures at Robin 'at work' (so called) in the tea huts. There, I've now gone and made myself wonder why I bought it..... Ha, it's great.

You've not sold the idea of one to me!:D

Doesn't the TT tank bag lower Velcro fastener, that's fixed to the tank, get stuck to everything else? Looks a great small bag but not sure about the Velcro bit!

Doesn't the TT tank bag lower Velcro fastener,....get stuck to everything else?

In a word, no.

I've used the same system on lots of bikes for as long as I can remember. I have never had the problem. Buy with confidence; it really is a very good bag. I also have the larger bag. This does have the credit card carrier, the internal map pocket and elasticated cords to hold ones gloves. It also has a waterproof membrane and a method of bringing a power lead in for charging phones and the like, if that's your thing.

Just out of interest have you tried the RS ?

No.

Nothing against it at all, indeed quite the reverse. The real problem is that I need a narrow bike in order to slot it into the garage, the street not being a realistic option.

Glad you're enjoying the new bike Richard and blue is definitely the best colour ;) :D

What are you doing about luggage? Did you get the BMW stuff or are you considering Ventura/ other options?

I'm guessing you won't be doing a Nutty and putting a vinyl wrapped top box on it!

Doesn't the TT tank bag lower Velcro fastener, that's fixed to the tank, get stuck to everything else? Looks a great small bag but not sure about the Velcro bit!

As Wapping says a great bag and I've never had any problems with the Velcro. The only thing that does stick to the Velcro is bits of your sponge when you wash the bike :blast.
Also if you're not using the bag the Velcro flap can be tucked back under the seat.
Apart from the silly name it's a fantastic bit of kit!

Did you get the other 300 on today, Richard? Anything else to add? Please tell us you remembered to take some pictures of the bike, and your lunch, this time!:D

Back
Top Bottom