Bennett Insurance.....What a rip off!!!

Rich

Reaction score
The renewal for my GS came through today from Bennetts last year it was £235 this year they want £616. Are they on drugs!! There have been no claims and now I have a full years no claims discount to add to the policy.
They say they are going to automatically renew it and take the money from my bank account. They do not answer their customer support line to allow me to cancel (I've waited 20 mins for an answer), I've tried the new business line and they answer immediately, then transfer me to the renewals line that don't answer at all. The payment is from a debit card and not a direct debit so they cannot be canceled at the bank.
What a bunch of unless robbers, my advice is steer well clear! Now I wouldn't insure with them if it was free.........ever.

Email them telling them not to renew. Then you have a record. It's a distasteful practice that seems to be getting more prevalent. Jjh

Email them telling them not to renew. Then you have a record. It's a distasteful practice that seems to be getting more prevalent. Jjh

They are too cleaver for that, there is no email address.

Bennetts

Been with Bennetts years
Rang them the other day to ask them to change my insurance as I bought a personal number plate no charge they answered the phone quick and were extremely plesent my premium this year was £159 fully comp a few quid more than last year so while I'm in pocket I will stay
Think they got bought out this year by saga

They are too cleaver for that, there is no email address.

Go through the "Contact Us" e-mail facility on their website and keep a print of the page with your message on.

Just renewed mine today through Swinton for £139.10 Fully Comp with a Company called Ageas hth

Ok contacted then through their contact form on their website and screen shot the form for evidence.
Also blacklisted them with my bank so if they do try and make the charge it will be automatically charged back.

I don't know why I have to go through this trouble. I never asked for a auto renewing payment and I never gave them permission to do so.

Ok contacted then through their contact form on their website and screen shot the form for evidence.
Also blacklisted them with my bank so if they do try and make the charge it will be automatically charged back.

I don't know why I have to go through this trouble. I never asked for a auto renewing payment and I never gave them permission to do so.

If you took out the policy online then you will have been invited to read T&Cs and check a box to say you understood them. This would have had the bit about auto-renewing. If you take out the insurance over the phone the droid needs to ask you if you consent to a continuous debit agreement. I always make sure I decline the offer to auto-renew after having your experience with Churchill many years ago. If on the phone I always make sure the matter has been mentioned and therefore recorded on their system. I have had compensation from Saga in the past after they listened to their own recording which confirmed their droid misrepresented a policy.

If you took out the policy online then you will have been invited to read T&Cs and check a box to say you understood them. This would have had the bit about auto-renewing. If you take out the insurance over the phone the droid needs to ask you if you consent to a continuous debit agreement. I always make sure I decline the offer to auto-renew after having your experience with Churchill many years ago. If on the phone I always make sure the matter has been mentioned and therefore recorded on their system. I have had compensation from Saga in the past after they listened to their own recording which confirmed their droid misrepresented a policy.

I took it out over the phone and I was definitely not asked about any recurring or continuous payment. I seems that they dishonestly mis-represented the agreement. Not to mention their price hike of 2.6 times last years policy.

I took it out over the phone and I was definitely not asked about any recurring or continuous payment. I seems that they dishonestly mis-represented the agreement. Not to mention their price hike of 2.6 times last years policy.

Personally, I would write a proper letter declining the renewal which can then be reproduced to your bank if necessary. Being me, I would get hold of a copy of their T&Cs and refer to the specific clause that I was using to decline the renewal offer and terminate my contract with them. I have had a recent experience along similar lines when plusnet tried to enforce a price hike on me despite this being against OFCOM regulations.

Personally, I would write a proper letter declining the renewal which can then be reproduced to your bank if necessary. Being me, I would get hold of a copy of their T&Cs and refer to the specific clause that I was using to decline the renewal offer and terminate my contract with them. I have had a recent experience along similar lines when plusnet tried to enforce a price hike on me despite this being against OFCOM regulations.

Thanks for the advice I'll do that if they don't respond to my message within 48 hours.

The payment is from a debit card and not a direct debit so they cannot be canceled at the bank.

Go onto your bank and tell them you've lost your debit card... They'll cancel your old card give you replacement card instantly (well, with 10 minutes), and bennets won't be able to get your money.

From Bennetts' website:

Renewals

What happens at renewal?

We will write to you about 28 days before your renewal date with your new quoted premium for the following year. Provided you have given us permission, we search again our panel of insurers to get the best price so we may offer you a different insurer.

If you have not opted out, customers will be automatically renewed using the same debit or credit card. This saves time and administration and is clearly stated on your renewal letter. If you don’t wish to renew you can still cancel by calling us before the renewal date on 0330 018 1587.

If you have opted out of automatic renewal, you will still receive your renewal letter with your new insurance premium but you will need to call us to arrange payment and to continue cover.

In either case, if you do not wish to renew you must please let us know.

What happens if I don’t wish to renew?

You just need to let us know before the renewal date on your letter. Please call us on 0330 018 1587. You will not be charged.

Also from Bennetts' website:

Bennetts is the UK’s number one for bike insurance currently providing insurance cover for more than 200,000 bikers. Rated No 1 by Bikers, key benefits of our service include:......

Be very wary over anyone who uses the word 'Bikers' (with or without a capital 'b') in their blurb.

Just out of vague passing interest, are you comparing like-with-like vis-a-vis your renewal premiums? Last year you didn't have an XR (the world's most awsome motorcycle) now you do. You also seem to have other policies with other insurers, are you sure you haven't used your NCB discount somewhere else and not applied it to the XR, where maybe it is best employed?

Just moved from BMW insurance who wanted £559 for my XR with 8yrs NCB and garaged in the sticks to Bennets for £181, with more goodies?

The renewal is for the GS, the same bike as last year when it was £235 now they want £616. There have been no claims, convictions etc.
I've sent them a message two days ago but they haven't had the manners to reply yet even though it's been more than their promised 48 hour response.

They are worse than estate agents. They are the lowest of the lowest scum.

I was at my mums a few weeks ago and she had the renewal letter through from Zurich for her car. It's a Toyota Corolla 1.4 , garaged in leafy Surrey, a zillion years no claims. 5000 mile per year max, no convictions, and her premium for renewal was over £700. She's a pensioner so that is serious money for her.

She was mortified when I said we'll go online to get a better deal. "but i've been with Zurich all my life, they look after me". We went with LV for £160.

Bastards the lot of them.

To make matters worse Bennetts are now part of Saga so policyholders will get inundated with junk mail!
However I have been with Bennetts for last two bikes and yes like all companies they don't have enough folks to answer the phone but when you get through they do sort out your problem etc.
Just taken a new policy with a weeks gap due to change of bike and they want proof of NCD !

FWIW I have just changed my insurance to Bennetts - perhaps I should have read this thread first and told them to stick it. Glad I didn't though :D

I got a 20% reduction on the renewal with Bennetts (for two bikes) against the price quoted to me by DEVIANTS BMW insurers who have 'had me' for the last few years, including extra protection for legals/helmets/leathers. Obviously I don't have any experience of Bennetts, but I found DEVITTS hard work, incommunicative and well, bloody expensive!

Back
Top Bottom